U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:38 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,972,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
My last "differences" thread. I created a map of the Northeast similar to my Midwest, South and West maps. Out of all regions, I'm least familiar with the Northeast, so I apologize if I have anything wrong.

Northeast boundaries - Google Maps
Don't be afraid to include all of Pennsylvania and the northern third of West Virginia in the Northeast. It won't make the rest of the Northeast any less sophisticated; I promise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 04:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,119,106 times
I am picturing the interior Northeast as one of those mixed zones that is a transition area between regions.

Also depending on how the zones split out with New England, isn't parts of it similar as well to the Atlantic Maritime Provinces?

I get a feeling over time the DC area would be grouped more with the Northeastern culture group considering the changes going on there.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:15 PM

8 posts, read 14,704 times
Hi!

Great start. But....

There is no way that you can group all/most of PA in with New York and parts of Jersey. My wife is from Williamsport, PA and has family in Elmyra NY. I am from the southwesten area of the Pittsburgh Metro Area. The areas are quite different.

1) Accents are not even close. The Pittsburgh accent is popular in the city but outlying areas have an Appalachian accent. Other areas have more of the New York accent Cawfee as an example.
2) The people here are more friendly, much more willing to give a handshake, hug or a smile vs. a nod.
When visiting the area it is just not comfortable. My family is great but most people seem "standoffish"
3) Architecture is different as well. Not sure how to describe it, but it appears that north of I-80 and east of the mountains seems to be the dividing line.

I lived in Columbus Oh. for five years and this area has a lot more in common with Ohio than Norther PA/ NY.

I am new on this board and one thing I have noticed is that area I live in does not fit into one specific region.

Some say strictly Northeast, others Midwest, few say upper south. I personally think it is a little of all three if we are referring to the region. I personally think the rustbelt years ended about a decade ago. We have moved on.

There is quite a few graveyards around here where people were born in Virginia and died in Pennsylvania and never moved a day in their life. Yohogania County - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is an awesome place and after traveling quite a bit and living one other place I can say that this area has a lot to offer. Sure it has some issues but I am proud to call it home.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:01 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,917,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hct4all View Post
Hi!

Great start. But....

There is no way that you can group all/most of PA in with New York and parts of Jersey. My wife is from Williamsport, PA and has family in Elmyra NY. I am from the southwesten area of the Pittsburgh Metro Area. The areas are quite different.

1) Accents are not even close. The Pittsburgh accent is popular in the city but outlying areas have an Appalachian accent. Other areas have more of the New York accent Cawfee as an example.
2) The people here are more friendly, much more willing to give a handshake, hug or a smile vs. a nod.
When visiting the area it is just not comfortable. My family is great but most people seem "standoffish"
3) Architecture is different as well. Not sure how to describe it, but it appears that north of I-80 and east of the mountains seems to be the dividing line.

I lived in Columbus Oh. for five years and this area has a lot more in common with Ohio than Norther PA/ NY.

I am new on this board and one thing I have noticed is that area I live in does not fit into one specific region.

Some say strictly Northeast, others Midwest, few say upper south. I personally think it is a little of all three if we are referring to the region. I personally think the rustbelt years ended about a decade ago. We have moved on.

There is quite a few graveyards around here where people were born in Virginia and died in Pennsylvania and never moved a day in their life. Yohogania County - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is an awesome place and after traveling quite a bit and living one other place I can say that this area has a lot to offer. Sure it has some issues but I am proud to call it home.
I also noticed a difference in architecture between New York and Pennsylvania. I actually asked on some old thread why so many houses in Pennsylvania small towns and rural areas are set right on the road, when there was plenty of room for them to set back further. You will find this in other states but it seems to be more common in PA for some reason.

Regarding the "standoffish" comment, keep in mind that while both the frontier of Pennsylvania and New York were heavily settled by Germans and others, Upstate New York was heavily settled by New Englanders as well. That might account for the "standoffish" people. Personally I think it is mostly a outdated stereotype anyway.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,575,042 times
"Appalachian accent?" Do parts of PA really have a Southern accent? I've never really thought of PA as the South (except extreme SW PA), but it is at the same latitude as Ohio and Missouri, so maybe it does have Southern influence.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:56 PM

6,522 posts, read 7,474,040 times
Quote:
"Appalachian accent?" Do parts of PA really have a Southern accent? I've never really thought of PA as the South (except extreme SW PA), but it is at the same latitude as Ohio and Missouri, so maybe it does have Southern influence.

I was just in that area last summer and I noticed no southern sounding accents. I noticed eastern sounding accents, but so many of the accents out there blend together to me. The northeast is the toughest region to figure out. The people who live there can tell not just what northeast state you live in by the way you talk, but in some cases what part of that state, or even what city or neighborhood you live in by your speech. When I hear them I cant tell thier accents apart, but they have lived there all thier lives and pick it up right away, very complex for sure.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Cities and area should be grouped together more by culture rather than just by geography. For example, Scranton, while geographically northeastern, has more in common with cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo (which are fellow rust-belt cities with similar ethnic backgrounds...heavily working class, Catholic, descended from European immigrants) than it does with nearby Philadelphia and New York City.
Scranton might have more in common with the cities you named, but I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, and most people there had never even been to Scranton, had barely heard of it. A mountain range separates eastern PA from the western part of the state. My parents lived in Bloomsburg, PA for a while when I was in college; even there, west of Scranton, people related more to Philly than Pgh.

Quote:
Think Mr. Rogers saying "No". A little southern influence, but we were always proud to be northerners.

I really don't know why you chopped off the top of Maine and put it in Canada. It's still part of the US.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 PM

6,522 posts, read 7,474,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Scranton might have more in common with the cities you named, but I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, and most people there had never even been to Scranton, had barely heard of it. A mountain range separates eastern PA from the western part of the state. My parents lived in Bloomsburg, PA for a while when I was in college; even there, west of Scranton, people related more to Philly than Pgh.

Think Mr. Rogers saying "No". A little southern influence, but we were always proud to be northerners.

I really don't know why you chopped off the top of Maine and put it in Canada. It's still part of the US.

Some of those counties in extreme northern Maine are French speaking areas like Quebec. He was correct to do that

Old 07-15-2010, 11:11 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,972,432 times
Quote:
I've never thought of any part of Pennsylvania as being part of the South, nor has anybody I've ever known from Pennsylvania thought so either. The southern border of Pennsylvania is the same latitude as Columbus, OH and Indianapolis, IN. Nobody ever claims those cities as part of the South. No part of Pennsylvania is part of the South.

I grew up in southwestern Pennsylvania, and I've spent plenty of time in Greene, Fayette and Somerset Counties (the counties you consider "Southern"), yet I was still miserable the first two years I lived in Athens, GA because of the culture shock I experienced. Do they serve homemade sweet tea at any restaurants in any of those counties? No. Therefore, they are not Southern.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,969,544 times
I like it.
I could nit pick a few things, but I wouldn't expect you get so in-depth.

The one issue I will mention is that the Philly area should not extended out to the Jersey shore- It's one of the only things about NJ that makes it an individual (Without being in the NYC and Philly immediate vicinity)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.