Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:54 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,892,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
So Nova Scotia has nothing to do with Maine or NE? If that's what I understand from the map.
good call. New England and the Maritimes are very very similar.

The main difference is that New England has done very well economically due to proximity to the political and economic centers of the region (dc and ny). The Maritimes are much further from Ontario (and seperated by Quebec). Despite overwhelming cultural and geographic similarities to New England, people in Canada view the east coast more the way Americans view the Deep South or Appalachia (and where the south has shed the negative image and grown/changed a lot, the maritimes are still very much the poor rural area of Canada).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,465,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Na black people in the northeast sound as different to blacks from the south in the same way with white people. Maybe more so even.
agreed, this is garbage

Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,356,133 times
Made some changes to the Northeast map based on suggestions in this thread:

Northeast boundaries - Google Maps

Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,680,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post

is that map a joke? It leaves out much of NY and puts in a large portion of Canada which has nothing to do with many of the areas in the northeast.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:57 PM

The part of NY that's excluded I included in the Midwest. The part of Canada is only on the map because (culturally), part of it extends into Maine.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,499,414 times
Quote:
I've never heard a black person from New York sound Southern. All of them that I've heard have a heavy New York accent.

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia.
Didn't you meet any from Upstate? Even the white people up there don't have a "New York" accent.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:07 PM

When I said "New York" I meant "New York City."

Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,680,732 times
Quote:
The part of NY that's excluded I included in the Midwest. The part of Canada is only on the map because (culturally), part of it extends into Maine.
That part of NY is not the midwest though. It is nothing like the midwest.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,189,961 times
Quote:

I would say that all of New York State should be in the northeast. There is kind of a transition zone between the northeast and midwest around northeast Ohio, western PA, and western NY; so it's hard to draw the line in that area. I know we were discussing how accents vary in that area, but I don't think that is necessarily the main basis of how to classify the regional borders. Media markets, landscapes, architecture, and industries also are part of it. I grew up in the northeast corner of Ohio and know that general region well. People there do not really identify with the midwest, but certainly not with the eastern seaboard either.

I think there are three places where you could argue the western border of the northeast:

1) Cleveland - driving west to east you can feel the midwest starting to fade away at Cleveland. It goes from a flat farming landscape to a forested and hilly landscape. The largely agricultural based farming towns fade away in this area. Growing up in this area I knew that once I went west of Cleveland I was entering the "flatlands." In this case you would have to call the northeast region of Ohio part of the northeast (i.e. Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Steubenville, Youngstown).

2) the Ohio / PA border - would be the easiest since it is right on the state line, and hey you have to draw the line somewhere.

3) Like your original map - this would put parts of western NY and Erie, PA in the midwest. Really there is not much difference between northeast Ohio, Erie County PA, or the Buffalo and Rochester region. I don't think you will find too many people in western NY or Erie that identify with the midwest though.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM

7,247 posts, read 10,495,621 times
Quote:

Sorry, but no part of New York or Pennsylvania is the Midwest (or any other region, for that matter). I know this might be an argument of semantics, but if we're discussing Northeastern boundaries in a country as large as the US, it would be ridiculous to cut off parts of states because they don't necessarily fit into the stereotypical and increasingly narrow view of what comprises "the Northeast." Not to mention your "cut off" boundaries, even if they are based exclusively on NE culture, are pretty arbitrary and very conservative.

My main point is, there is indeed a Northeast outside of the Northeast corridor, regardless of some similarities it might share with the Midwest. That's only because it tends to be much more agrarian, slower-paced and less diverse -- but there are still huge differences in terms of culture and history between the Interior Northeast and the Midwest. At any rate, when we're speaking in terms of geography, there is no denying where the entirety of states like NY and PA are located -- the NE quadrant of the country.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-04-2010 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.