Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times

Advertisements

I know this is going to come off as a really ignorant question (I'm sorry), but, are there any black people with roots IN the North. Like, any who are originally from places like New York, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon and the like? I'm part black and I always thought that the black side of my family was originally from SW Ohio (not really the "North" but the Upper South/Lower Midwest depending on your viewpoint) but it turned out that they originated in Kentucky in the 19th century. My white ancestors are mostly from Germany or the Netherlands (with some Irish and French) and settled in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 04:01 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
I beleive so.
This
articles points out that slave auctions were all throughout the northeast at one point.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:14 AM

270 posts, read 198,443 times
Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo are very Midwestern and Rust Belt in culture, they are not very "Northeastern" at all. The Black people in these cities are very Southern.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:26 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BougNeg1 View Post
Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo are very Midwestern and Rust Belt in culture, they are not very "Northeastern" at all. The Black people in these cities are very Southern.
Not even close. Living in Rochester and having to travel to midwestern places like Ohio for work, I constantly hear about how I'm different. The culture, pace of life, and demographics are much different where I live than most places in the midwest. Other than a similar accent, there really isn't much in common. Rust Belt is not a midwestern thing, it comprises multiple regions.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:02 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Not according to this article: New York dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It says that blacks in NYC largely speak the same dialect as southern blacks. I've wondered why Northern blacks who have been up here more than a generation continue to speak with the Southern dialect. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact of where the family learned to speak English. For blacks, it was the South. For white Euro-Americans, it was wherever they settled in the US upon immigration. That's why you hear Midwestern Jews speaking in the local dialect and Southern Jews speaking in Southern dialect, Midwestern Chinese speaking in Midwestern dialect, Poles in Boston speaking the Boston dialect, etc.
LOL Black southerners and and blacks from new york sound so different from each other, that you would have to be an idiot to say otherwise. That wikipedia article is wrong. The difference is that big. In the same way that a white person with a heavy ny accent would sound very different from a white person in the midwest. Blacks have some of the heaviest new york accents of any ethnicity in the city. That article is laughable

Old 08-08-2010, 07:32 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
Upstate New York is where New England subtly transforms into the Midwest... but Upstate is neither New England, nor the Midwest. Upstate NY should never be forced into a map of either region. (For one thing, farmers in New England take care of their barns better!!)

Old 08-08-2010, 09:39 AM

270 posts, read 198,443 times
That's a good answer and makes sense geographically. The whole Central and Western New york region has elements of both New England and the Midwest.
I just cringe when people say that this region is just "Northeastern". though. Small towns like Ithaca, Cazenovia and Victor may be "New England." But Rust Belt Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo are Midwestern. Cleveland, to me, is just a huge version of Syracuse. Both are dying and boring.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Aside from a similar accent, how is western and central NY midwestern? The people living in NY do not identity with the midwest and the people of the midwest do not identify with western and central NY. The demographics are generally different. The pace of life is generally different from my experience. The cultural is different. Sports are different. Being in the rust belt is not a midwestern identifier. The rust belt expands over several different regions.
There are places on the great lakes that share some northeastern traits, but they are the exception to the rule and not the norm.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Led

145 posts, read 423,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Blacks have some of the heaviest new york accents of any ethnicity in the city. That article is laughable
You're so wrong..... the NY accent really originated from the Italian, Jewish, and Irish immigrants and it's a blend of the 3. Majority Italian though.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:18 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
You're so wrong..... the NY accent really originated from the Italian, Jewish, and Irish immigrants and it's a blend of the 3. Majority Italian though.
The black accent has similar qualities to the italian accent but they are still different, enough to where its noticeable atleast. There are New York accents that have little to do with the italian accent, look at the rosie perez puerto rican accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.