U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:13 PM

726 posts, read 1,869,809 times

Advertisements

Visit Colorado:
depending on seasons:
  1. rocky mountain/estes park
  2. raft arkansas river
  3. red rocks park
  4. rifle falls
  5. colorado national monument
  6. great sand dunes park
  7. drive up mt evans/pikes peak
  8. royal gorge bridge (touristy but still pretty amazing)
  9. hike parts of the colorado trail
  10. hike a 14er
  11. garden of the gods
  12. granby/grand lake area
  13. try out the local breweries (not really outdoors but refreshing after an outdoorsy day)
  14. ski ski ski
  15. snowboard snowboard snowboard
  16. cliff dwellings
  17. hanging lake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:37 PM

109 posts, read 214,058 times
BigCityDreamer
Thanks for the recommendations! Any specific sites you'd recommend in those cities?
I'm thinking a bit more off the beaten path. Sites like the statue of liberty is a no brainer, but quirky little shops or food places, historical etc.

Ghengis
Thanks for the suggestions! Badlands and wind caves where places I had in mind, as well as Wounded Knee (High interest in Native American culture and history here ), but the others I hadn't jotted down

BGRN198
Grand Canyon is definitely on the list of places I want to see. I'd also love to visit Texas
Any specific recommendations of places to visit/see in places like San Antonio or Austin? (Or other places in Texas for that matter)
Thank you!

DubbleT
Oooh, awesome, the kind of specific suggestions I was hoping for, thank you! And fantastic pictures, I think those are the kind of places I'd love to go

Verseau
Oooh, thank you for the list Lots of that sounds very, very interesting!
I'd love to see New England in fall, I've seen some fantastic pictures. But even if I don't get to do it during the 4 years in school, it'll definitely be on the travel list for sometime later.

Choosing78
Thanks for all the suggestions Those suggestions sounds like lots of fun. I don't mind touristy either, the goal was just to mix in a bit off non touristy as well With the suggestions I'm getting from everyone, seems like I'm on a good way there

Old 07-15-2010, 01:02 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,155,973 times
Check out the four corners region as well.
Mesa Verde is a place I really want to take my kids to in the next couple of years.
Monument Valley is cool also.

Somebody already mentioned a couple great places in Michigan. Pictured Rocks, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Mackinaw Island, etc... and while they are all rather touristy areas, they are great to see. You can also add Tahquamenon Falls, Leelanau Peninsula, SooLocks, and many other places to the list to visit if in Michigan.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,224,214 times
The Jazz & Heritage Festival in New Orleans, Louisiana

The Rose Festival in Portland, Oregon

The Bumbershoot Music & Arts Festival in Seattle, Washington

Comic-Con International in San Diego, California

Old 07-15-2010, 08:05 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,091,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyChick View Post
BigCityDreamer
Thanks for the recommendations! Any specific sites you'd recommend in those cities?
I'm thinking a bit more off the beaten path. Sites like the statue of liberty is a no brainer, but quirky little shops or food places, historical etc.

Ghengis
Thanks for the suggestions! Badlands and wind caves where places I had in mind, as well as Wounded Knee (High interest in Native American culture and history here ), but the others I hadn't jotted down

BGRN198
Grand Canyon is definitely on the list of places I want to see. I'd also love to visit Texas
Any specific recommendations of places to visit/see in places like San Antonio or Austin? (Or other places in Texas for that matter)
Thank you!

DubbleT
Oooh, awesome, the kind of specific suggestions I was hoping for, thank you! And fantastic pictures, I think those are the kind of places I'd love to go

Verseau
Oooh, thank you for the list Lots of that sounds very, very interesting!
I'd love to see New England in fall, I've seen some fantastic pictures. But even if I don't get to do it during the 4 years in school, it'll definitely be on the travel list for sometime later.

Choosing78
Thanks for all the suggestions Those suggestions sounds like lots of fun. I don't mind touristy either, the goal was just to mix in a bit off non touristy as well With the suggestions I'm getting from everyone, seems like I'm on a good way there

There's quite a bit to see in all the Texas cities i'll give you some links to the San Antonio and Austin attractions and you can check out their websites.

San Antonio

The Official Web site for The San Antonio River Walk!

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Tower of the Americas

Historic Market Square

La Villita Historic Arts Village, San Antonio, TX - Home (http://lavillita.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage - broken link)

Ripley Attractions in San Antonio, TX | Ripley\'s Believe It or Not! Museum & Louis Tussaud\'s Wax Museum

The Alamo

San Antonio Zoo and Aquarium - Where you experience Real. Wild. Life.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas

Saloon Cafe - Since 1881

Austin

Hotel San Jose

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB

6th street austin, texas

Congress Avenue Bridge

City of Austin - Austin History Center

Austin Museum of Art:

Blanton Museum of Art : University of Texas at Austin

The Story of Texas

The Texas Capitol Visitors Center

Welcome to the Elisabet Ney Museum

French Legation Museum | Austin TX

Harry Ransom Center

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin

LBJ Library & Museum

Mexic-Arte Museum ::: The Official Mexican and Mexican American Fine Art Museum of Texas

City of Austin - Parks and Recreation: Old Bakery and Emporium

Texas Natural Science Center - Austin, Texas

Welcome

Zilker Botanical Garden :: the Jewel in the Heart of Austin

Prime Outlets

Tanger Outlet Centers :: San Marcos, Texas :: TangerOutlets

Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 PM

52 posts, read 87,302 times
Definitely check out Duluth, Minnesota. An extremely scenic city built on the bluffs overlooking Lake Superior, the largest freshwater lake in the world. Drive up the north shore to see more of Lake Superior. Stop in Two Harbors and get a pie at Betty's Pies ( Buy Pies Online From Betty's Pies, World Famous Homemade Pie Company & Pie Recipe Book - Two Harbors, MN (218) 834-3367 ). Then travel up and check out Split Rock Lighthouse. Head west a little to Ely, MN and go backpacking or canoeing in the Boundry Water Canoe Area to see the Northwoods. You can then also go up to Soudan, MN near Lake Vermillion and check out the Soudan Mine and take a tour to see and old iron ore mine a mile underground ( Soudan Underground Mine State Park: Minnesota DNR ) which could be said to be the beggining of the rust belt and the US's old steel industry.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:30 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,153,351 times
Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, Wyoming--I've not been but I've heard really good things about those places.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:48 AM

Bydand
Mesa Verde and Monument valley are definitely on the list of places I want to go
I've heard of four corners too, but forgot it.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Rob Allen
Thanks for the suggestions!

BGRN198
Wow, thank you so much I'm sure all the suggestions will come in handy

IamNotFat
Thanks for the suggestion I'd thought of visiting Duluth already, cause some google searches of mine showed a few shops with Norwegian products like chocolate. haha I love that it's easier to get Norwegian goods in the US than there is here in Sweden, right next to Norway and everything Good to hear there are other things to catch while there too

Shoe01
Thanks for the suggestion, Yellowstone has been on my must see places for a while. It looks fantastic from the pictures I've seen

Old 07-17-2010, 02:53 AM

33 posts, read 67,754 times
bryce canyon national park is my favorite np... sequioa was my boyfriend's favorite. monument valley is pretty amazing (espeically when you don't know it's there). custer state park in sd has lots of animals and they're close to the car. in may in seattle there's an annual free World Rhythm Festival with 3 days of dancing and drumming classes and performances. cool towns/cities that i've enjoyed include burlington vt, crested butte co, madison wi, asheville nc, austin tx, fort collins co, flagstaff az, santa fe nm, athens oh, morgantown wv, the fremont area of seattle, portland...

in canada, guelph ontario.... and vancouver bc has amazing food

other places that i've heard good things about and plan to visit: red lodge, missoula and bozeman mt, new orleans la, the parks in southern florida, maine but i'm not sure where....

if you can got to mexico, guanajuato isn't too far from mexico city and it's incredible

Old 07-20-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmochilera View Post
bryce canyon national park is my favorite np... sequioa was my boyfriend's favorite. monument valley is pretty amazing (espeically when you don't know it's there). custer state park in sd has lots of animals and they're close to the car. in may in seattle there's an annual free World Rhythm Festival with 3 days of dancing and drumming classes and performances. cool towns/cities that i've enjoyed include burlington vt, crested butte co, madison wi, asheville nc, austin tx, fort collins co, flagstaff az, santa fe nm, athens oh, morgantown wv, the fremont area of seattle, portland...

in canada, guelph ontario.... and vancouver bc has amazing food

other places that i've heard good things about and plan to visit: red lodge, missoula and bozeman mt, new orleans la, the parks in southern florida, maine but i'm not sure where....

if you can got to mexico, guanajuato isn't too far from mexico city and it's incredible
Those sound amazing, thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or