U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 AM

109 posts, read 214,084 times

Advertisements

I'll be living in the US for four years as I'm going to be a student and during that time I hope to get to see a fair bit of the country during holidays, the summer etc. (ROAD TRIP! teehee)

I've got lots of ideas of places I'd like to see, but I figured I'd ask to, what are places you'd recommend one should stop by and see?

I'm not into clubbing and that sort of thing, but nature sites, historical sites, cultural sites, amazing foods etc etc would be great
I'm particularly thinking of places that aren't as well know to tourists, the little hidden away gems that most mainstream travel guides doesn't catch on too.

So lay them on me, any suggestions!
Any states, any where.

*Edited to add*
I'll be in South Dakota, but I'm hoping to travel to as many states as possible (Though Alaska and Hawaii will be a bit out of reach). So any tips from any state is gold, if I can't go/afford it while I'm a student there is always life after graduation too

Last edited by NerdyChick; 07-15-2010 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 AM

291 posts, read 652,888 times
The US us a huge place. Where are you going to be living?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
The US us a huge place. Where are you going to be living?
I'll be living in South Dakota, but I'm pretty much hoping to get around to most states (Though Alaska and Hawaii will probably be a wee bit out of reach).
The summer holidays will be pretty long, so will have lots of time to just travel around (Until my budget says no, but that'll be an issue for then )

Old 07-15-2010, 09:25 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,053,328 times
Devils Tower
Mt Rushmore
Crazy Horse Monument
Buffalo Round-up & Arts Festival at Custer State Park (9/25-27)

The Black Hills are beautiful. Also head west to Glacier Nat Park and Yellowstone.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Devils Tower
Mt Rushmore
Crazy Horse Monument
Buffalo Round-up & Arts Festival at Custer State Park (9/25-27)

The Black Hills are beautiful. Also head west to Glacier Nat Park and Yellowstone.
I'll be living in/near the Black Hills and can't wait to see that
The rest of the places are also on my must see list, except the Buffalo round-up, so that adds a new one
Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 AM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
For historic sites, museums and architecture, I definitely recommend east coast cities and their surrounding areas - DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City and Boston. There are beaches, mountain ranges, lakes and forests all over this region as well. Check out Toronto, Niagara Falls, Montreal, Quebec City and other places in Canada too. There are lots of things to see in this region of N. America.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 07-15-2010 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-15-2010, 11:16 AM

21,320 posts, read 21,890,925 times
Don't miss Badlands National Park, many short to long hikes that offer a step back into time. Overnight accomodations (cabins) and restaurant available right in the middle of the Park. The Mamoth site in Hot Springs is worth seeing as well as Jewell and Wind Caves. Always wanted to spend time exploring Theodore Roosevelt Theodore Roosevelt National Park (U.S. National Park Service) NP in North Dakota as it would offer a little more in the way of solitude than the better known parks.

Would also reccomend dedicating a day spent at Little Big Horn National Battlefield just a couple hours West of Devils Tower.

Probably be the only one to ever suggest this, but I think anyone spending time marveling at the wonderful natural sites and monuments in Western South Dakota should dedicate a few hours to drive through Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and stop at the Wounded Knee Memorial to get a perspective of what the Native Americans were left with as part of Manifest Destiny.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,091,952 times
Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Maby come down to Texas and check it out like San Antonio,Big Bend National Park

TravelTex

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 07-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,487 posts, read 14,320,905 times
In Michigan
Go for a dip at sleeping-bear-dunes.jpg
Buy some fudge and take a carriage ride at car free mackinac-island-MI.jpg, Mackinac-Island-KnobHill.jpg
Tour Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, to view some of nature's art 1 2 3 4

Old 07-15-2010, 11:44 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,972,002 times
It would be great if you could visit New England in October to see the autumn foliage, but I know that might be hard as a student. Anyway, it's just as nice to visit in the summer, particularly because it's not as hot as many other parts of the country. Some ideas of places to see (some of them well-known, some of them known only to locals like me ):
  • Boston (Freedom Trail, Beacon Hill, Newbury St., Harvard area)
  • Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts outside Boston for historical sites (Lexington Green, Battle Road, Old North Bridge, Author's Ridge at Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, Walden Pond)
  • Salem, Ipswich, and Newburyport, MA (17th century architecture, history)
  • Newport, Rhode Island (extensively preserved colonial port city, mansions and Cliff Walk)
  • Jamestown, RI (Beavertail State Park), Little Compton, and Wickford for quaint villages and natural beauty
  • Downtown Providence, RI (College Hill area near Brown University, Waterfire events)
  • Mystic, Connecticut (living history Seaport)
  • The "Quiet Corner" of CT (Route 169)
  • Portsmouth, New Hampshire (Strawberry Banke, Market Square)
  • Lake Winnipesaukee and Squam Lake, NH (Wolfeboro, Castle in the Clouds, Sandwich)
  • White Mountains, NH (Franconia Notch State Park, Kancamagus Highway, Mt. Washington Auto Road, Crawford Notch State Park)
  • Any back road in Vermont (particularly Route 100)
  • Any number of quaint villages in Vermont (particularly Woodstock, Grafton, Stowe, Manchester, Danville/Peacham, among many others)
  • Burlington, VT area (Lake Champlain, Mt. Philo, Shelburne Museum)
  • Anywhere along the coast of Maine (Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, Bath, Wiscasset, Boothbay Harbor, Damariscotta, Pemaquid Point), but especially Camden and points east (Camden Hills, Acadia National Park)
This is a very incomplete list, but it would take a while to cover all that ground anyway. If you want to prioritize, my top picks would be Boston, the White Mountains, the Maine coast from Wiscasset to Acadia, a drive through the backroads of Vermont, and Newport, roughly in that order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or