U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,445 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I am a soon-to-be college graduate. As soon as I graduate, I would like to move out of my oppressive southern town and into a more "progressive" area. I am a single female looking to live near a beach. What areas are there that would fit the beachy-progressive theme for me? Price is a factor as well (so practically anywhere in California intimidates me :P)

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 PM

57,210 posts, read 81,631,096 times
Maybe Virginia Beach, Cape May NJ, Miami and Wilmington NC.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,617,873 times
Nowhere in the South, unless you consider Miami to be the South.

I'd suggest Michigan or Minnesota. Both are states with Great Lakes shoreline, have a low cost of living, and are fairly liberal. Ann Arbor, MI, and Duluth, MN would be good choices. If you don't mind more snow, then Marquette, MI or Houghton, MI (both in the Upper Peninsula or U.P.) would be good choices. All of these cities are on or near Great Lakes beaches.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 PM

291 posts, read 655,990 times
Don't get intimidated by California! Try Santa Cruz just south of San Francisco along the coast and surrounded by Redwoods and giant artichokes. or in SoCal try SaMo (Santa Monica) or cheaper Venice where you can be all that you want to be.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 AM

21,302 posts, read 30,642,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhungry View Post
Hello all

I am a soon-to-be college graduate. As soon as I graduate, I would like to move out of my oppressive southern town and into a more "progressive" area. I am a single female looking to live near a beach. What areas are there that would fit the beachy-progressive theme for me? Price is a factor as well (so practically anywhere in California intimidates me :P)

Thank you!!
Check out Charleston SC, particularly the central historic area. It's a college town (College of Charleston, Medical College of SC and The Citadel), it has a considerable population of artists and a number of transplants from all over the country. It has a quite reasonable cost of living and beautiful beaches nearby.
Charleston, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 AM

5,642 posts, read 8,014,357 times
Charleston??? That isn't a liberal town. I would say maybe the coast of Massachusetts or coastal Maine (Maine is particularly very liberal).

Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 AM

21,302 posts, read 30,642,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Charleston??? That isn't a liberal town. I would say maybe the coast of Massachusetts or coastal Maine (Maine is particularly very liberal).
The OP didn't state "liberal".....rather "progressive". There is a difference.
Besides, when did Maine become liberal? It has Republican representation in the Senate.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:38 AM

5,642 posts, read 8,014,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The OP didn't state "liberal".....rather "progressive". There is a difference.
Besides, when did Maine become liberal? It has Republican representation in the Senate.

My daughter lived in Maine for 2 years. Very liberal people with hippie-type people.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 AM

30,379 posts, read 27,928,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhungry View Post
Hello all

Where in the US can I find Sunny Liberalism?

Thank you!!
Well it appears that you’re already familiar with “oppressive southern town” politics and opinions, moving to the northwest Seattle or Portland areas would be as opposite as you might get. However you’d not have the sunny weather as often as other places. I’d try anyplace other then the south to avoid “oppressive southern town” politics or character. It is difficult living in a rightwing area if your views and feelings are politically left and progressive. The west coast seems to be more progressive and liberal then the area you're in now.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 AM

5,733 posts, read 9,131,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My daughter lived in Maine for 2 years. Very liberal people with hippie-type people.
Not the entire state. The SW corner area near Portland up to about Augusta is fairly Liberal with some Progressives also found in the mix. But once you get north and west of Waterville to Bangor and points north it is much more Conservative. I know because I lived up there for a while. The college towns in New England will naturally have Progressives and Liberals but hardly the entire region can be labeled as Liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.