U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,997,011 times

Advertisements

Maybe America would have less problems if we wern't a Superpower. It ain't easy being on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:42 PM

21,367 posts, read 21,930,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
America would be exactly like Canada if America was only Minnesota. Canada has it easy. They have a very homogeneous, small population that makes everyone feel like they "love their neighbor", so it's easy to get along and govern the country. It's easy to do that in a country with 30 million mostly white people. Down here in the USA we have a lot more people and a lot more issues to deal with. Canada would be exactly like us if they had our population.
That is an out-and-out lie and the worst insult I have seen in over an hour. Fact of the matter we hate Canada , spend a great deal of time organizing anti-Canadian meetings and secretly pump toxic paper waste over the border when they aren't looking.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,921,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Maybe America would have less problems if we wern't a Superpower. It ain't easy being on top.
Bingo!

Until WWI and WWII, the United States was a pretty isolationist country, primarily occupied by its own domestic problems. Throughout the 1800s and up to the World Wars, we got used to the Royal Navy guarding the Atlantic so we were able to maintain a tiny army and spend most of our money building up our domestic economy.

This is exactly what many members of the NATO Alliance are doing now, including Canada. Many of them have cut their militaries to the bone because they know the United States and Britain/France will protect them.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,577,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The US is basically just like Canada except we actually have hockey teams that win the Stanley Cup...
That and we don't have ketchup flavoured potato chips or Nanaimo bars.
You've obviously never been to Minnesota.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:06 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,477,679 times
Half this nation does not know where Canada is. I was once vacationing in the land of fruits and nuts(California) and the locals read my jacket which said Michigan on it and told me " Michigan??? GO Back To Canada YOU Canuck!!!" I was shocked, amazing how much geographic ignorance is out there.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:49 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,633,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
You've obviously never been to Minnesota.
Minnesota sounds awesome from what I've been hearing on the "Best Hockey City" thread...Now all you guys need is a team capable of winning an NHL championship.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:42 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,360,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Minnesota sounds awesome from what I've been hearing on the "Best Hockey City" thread...Now all you guys need is a team capable of winning an NHL championship.
I like your thinking!

I have seen Ketchup Flavored chips though here in Minnesota.

Being on the border, we do have some similarities (hockey culture, winter culture) other than that, we're pretty much just as different... I live 3 hrs from the border and can pick out Canadians like a sore thumb when i see them

Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 AM

15,534 posts, read 17,769,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post

Canadians seem so nice and peaceful with a population that sees no need to carry loaded firearms, are not caught up in religious fundamentalism, respect highly their native people "First Nations" and ethnic diversity.
(
So you are saying that the U.S. is primarily a violent nation where most people carry loaded firearms, are mostly fundamentalist Christians, hate Native Americans and ethnic diversity?

In my 38 years and having lived all over this country from the northeast to the southwest I am happy to say I have managed to completely avoid your America.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,977,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
They have a very homogeneous, small population that makes everyone feel like they "love their neighbor", so it's easy to get along and govern the country.
Have you been to Toronto? Or Montreal? Or Vancouver? "Homogenous" is the last word I'd use to describe the metro areas where the majority of Canadians live. Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in the world. Not to mention the long-standing cultural tensions between French-speaking and English-speaking Canada; there really isn't anything quite comparable to that in the US.

Not to support the trollish OP or anything, just saying that Canada isn't exactly a homogeneous country and there's no reason to assume that race is the primary cause for social strife. We might also consider the general Canadian philosophy that stresses multiculturalism over assimilation. Could be an interesting debate.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:16 PM

871 posts, read 1,958,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Have you been to Toronto? Or Montreal? Or Vancouver? "Homogenous" is the last word I'd use to describe the metro areas where the majority of Canadians live. Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in the world. Not to mention the long-standing cultural tensions between French-speaking and English-speaking Canada; there really isn't anything quite comparable to that in the US.

Not to support the trollish OP or anything, just saying that Canada isn't exactly a homogeneous country and there's no reason to assume that race is the primary cause for social strife. We might also consider the general Canadian philosophy that stresses multiculturalism over assimilation. Could be an interesting debate.
toronto is 52 percent white. i dont know how you want to define "most diverse" but at least 10 US cities could easily beat that

and fact of the matter is that canada is not as racially/ethnically diverse as the US is, and it never has been. canada is 84 percent non-hispanic white, the US is 66 percent (ration of 2:1 in US compared to a little over 5:1 in canada).

canada was historically an almost all white country. only very recently in a more racially progressive time period has canada started to gain minority population due to immigration influx. just as far back as 1986 canada was 90 percent white.

so canada may supposedly "respect ethnic diversity" but they really dont have too much of it compared to the US, and what of it they do have theyve only gotten very recently in their history.

and anybody who thinks that canadians respected native americans knows nothing of that countries history. who the hell do you think lived in toronto before all the british settlers got there? native canadians were darn near wiped out just like native americans. only in far northern canada were they somewhat left alone as the land they held was undesirable. although the canadian government still went through a period in the 1940's to 60's where they forced christianity and other western values on the inuits that had pretty much been left alone up to that point in an attempt to solve the "eskimo problem"

point is canada needs to get up off their high horse. its not some perfect progressive paradise where everybody gets along, holds hands and sings kumbaya all day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.