U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 AM

9 posts, read 13,561 times

Advertisements

Well everyone says that PA is Philly, Pittsburgh and Alabama in between. I've never been to Alabama, but from what I see in Georgia and South Carolina it's pretty similar. I'd never move back to the North. That being said, I don't really like the attitude in the South either. There are things I like and dislike about each region, the only thing that favors one over the other is the heat in the south, which I enjoy.

Now onto the topic of racism in the south from someone who recently moved here from the northeast (and attempting to be as objective as possible given the circumstances). And by "north" I mean "northeast"

I think that racism isn't a bigger problem either in the north or the south. Both regions have it, and it affects commerce in the same sneaky ways it always has no matter where you go. The difference is that here in the south people are definitely more comfortable talking about it. And it doesn't help that black people down here seem less educated than those up north (coming from a black person). But an anecdote about the whole Civil War glorification thing:

I went to Stone Mountain for 4 July, where I first experienced the south's glorification of a war they lost. There was a laser show which featured a lengthy segment on what I assume was key moments of the Civil War (northern schools definitely don't teach students as much about this as southern schools do). The crowd went wild, and I had to double check my knowledge of history to make sure these were the people who lost. Either way, they quieted down at the end when the South and North were seen coming together as a united country. They were also notably quiet when the show featured prominent members of the Civil Rights movement.

Now perhaps this was a biased random sample, because I was surrounded by the types of people who show up for 4 July fireworks (whatever that means) but there's been no experience that would make me think otherwise since I've been here. Add to that my cousin who is in high school constantly comes home with paper assignments about why the south lost the war and so on. I'd think that 90% of academic books sold in the south have to do with this subject. The truth is, the south is really the only region who still cares about the Civil war.

Also, what's with the whole "War of Northern Aggression" thing anyway? Unless they're referring to some abstract beginning of the war, the south started it with the assault on Fort Sumter. And if it is referring to some abstract start, where one part of the country told another what to do, well...that's like me being called getting grounded the "Incident of parental aggression"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,449,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Because they last two months, tops.
Who would want two months of that? :S I'll take a winter wonderland of beautiful snow and ice anyday.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:37 PM

7,282 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Who would want two months of that? :S I'll take a winter wonderland of beautiful snow and ice anyday.
I lived in Chicago for a good long time. We had the weather that the south has in the winter. We called it "spring".

Dec 15-Feb 15 in a place like SC play out in March 15-May 15 in, say, Chicago.

That was the part that always got me about living up north. The length of the winter. Get through the snowy, icy winter wonderland and you still have a damp, cloudy, cold spring to wade through before things start to warm up reliably in late May.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM

529 posts, read 1,022,652 times
I miss the North.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:17 PM

15 posts, read 26,879 times
I was born and raised in Vermont, and have lived in rural North Carolina for the past 4 years. I absolutely LOVE the south! I am a conservative Christian, strong Republican, sweet tea drinking person. I proudly hang a confederate flag in my bedroom. Even though I was born in Vermont I really did not fit in there. Vermonters always seemed cold and aloof in my opinion, and you could not pay me enough money to go back there!

I can't tell you the sense of pride that I felt when I traded my Vermont Driver's License for a North Carolina License. Long live the south!!

Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,727,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I'm about a year away from graduating with a sociology degree from Middle Tennessee State University and really want to leave Tennessee. I moved here when I was 5 years old from my original home state, New Jersey. Me and my family lived in Mercer County, which was the best since we were right in between Philadelphia and New York City (30 minute and 1 hour commute, respectively).

I know that a lot of people from the North (particularly the BosWash megalopolis) have moved to the South in the past 10 years, with Georgia, Tennessee, the Carolinas and Florida being the popular destinations. I just would like to get an opinion from the people originally from up North who ventured south: Do you miss your original home-state?

I go back to New Jersey every summer to visit family and absolutely love it. This past summer I probably had my best vacation ever. With my college education ending soon, I'm really contemplating about whether I should make the move back up north. I know about the taxes, the colder weather, etc. But I just find the South too boring and overly religious. Am I looking at New Jersey with rose-colored glasses or what?
Are you really ready for the long winters? the high cost of living? Give the south a chance. BTW, I drove through Murfressboro on my way to San Antonio from MA four years ago. You can't judge the whole south by that hick town. There are plenty of large cities that aren't as conservative and in-your-face religious. You should check out Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, or Atlanta. who knows? The job market might be better there too. Ask yourself --- am I really ready for the 6 month winters? If you can look at yourself in the mirror with a resounding yes, you should go back to NJ. If you're not sure, give another city/state a chance. Youre only 20. If you hate it, you can always go back. Personally I go back to MA every summer for two weeks, I visit my small town, I visit Boston, the Cape, etc. It's beautiful and I appreciate it now more than I used to, but wouldn't move back because I just hate winter that much.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 08-07-2010 at 06:15 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 07:30 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Jayuya View Post
Well everyone says that PA is Philly, Pittsburgh and Alabama in between. I've never been to Alabama, but from what I see in Georgia and South Carolina it's pretty similar.
Didn't know that central PA had international tourist destinations like Charleston and Savannah and great beaches. Guess you learn something new everyday.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:35 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Are you really ready for the long winters? the high cost of living? Give the south a chance. BTW, I drove through Murfressboro on my way to San Antonio from MA four years ago. You can't judge the whole south by that hick town. There are plenty of large cities that aren't as conservative and in-your-face religious. You should check out Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, or Atlanta. who knows? The job market might be better there too. Ask yourself --- am I really ready for the 6 month winters? If you can look at yourself in the mirror with a resounding yes, you should go back to NJ. If you're not sure, give another city/state a chance. Youre only 20. If you hate it, you can always go back. Personally I go back to MA every summer for two weeks, I visit my small town, I visit Boston, the Cape, etc. It's beautiful and I appreciate it now more than I used to, but wouldn't move back because I just hate winter that much.
NJ does not have six month winters. The climate there is practically subtropical with a few big snowstorms every so often. Even many parts of New England do not get that far below zero during any given winter. The Upper Midwest is much colder.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:05 AM

34,672 posts, read 33,671,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I'm about a year away from graduating with a sociology degree from Middle Tennessee State University and really want to leave Tennessee. I moved here when I was 5 years old from my original home state, New Jersey.

I know about the taxes, the colder weather, etc. But I just find the South too boring and overly religious. Am I looking at New Jersey with rose-colored glasses or what?
You will find out as you get older and move around that the best place for you may change with your stage of life. What was a great place to live when you were growing up, might not be such a great place to live when you are a young single person ready to start your career and your life. You may find the place that was so exciting to you in your single twenties, might not be the best place to raise a family when you are in your 30s, 40s and 50s and when you are ready to retire and looking for leisure activities, your best place might be something entirely different than all of the places where you have lived before.

I think you are probably at the big city time stage of your life. You are ready for adventure: a lot of opportunities personally and career-wise, a chance to experience exciting new things. You haven't accumulated a lot of "stuff" yet so moving is easier. It will be a shock to you, expense wise to move up north but you won't mind it because the experiences will make up for it. If you don't try what you want, you'll always be thinking "I shoulda, coulda been this/done this." And if you make a mistake, so what, you can always move again because the only person you will be uprooting is yourself.

While the only responsibility and commitments you have is yourself, now is the time to make your move.

I was born in NYC and lived there the 1st 7 years of my life, then I lived the next 9 years of my life in suburban Long Island, NY, then I lived in Washington DC for a few years, then I lived in small town Long Island while I was married, then I moved with a job promotion back to the DC area (suburban Maryland) and now retired, I am happy in Tennessee. What you miss the most when you move are people.

Last edited by LauraC; 08-08-2010 at 06:20 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,727,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NJ does not have six month winters. The climate there is practically subtropical with a few big snowstorms every so often. Even many parts of New England do not get that far below zero during any given winter. The Upper Midwest is much colder.
Many a year it starts snowing in November and the last freak snowstorm happens in April. New Jersey is not subtropical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or