U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 AM

20,866 posts, read 36,011,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Many a year it starts snowing in November and the last freak snowstorm happens in April. New Jersey is not subtropical.
NJ is close to the transitional zone between humid continential and humid subtropical. The state averages for snowfall during November and April are pretty low.
I could also say that TX has 6-8 month summers as I don't like highs above 75-80F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 AM

588 posts, read 1,567,192 times
Quote:
Many a year it starts snowing in November and the last freak snowstorm happens in April. New Jersey is not subtropical.
According to meteorological classifications, most of NJ is at the northern edge of the subtropical classification or right at the border with humid continental.

I'm sorry but saying that it is commonplace to have accumulating snow in NJ in November and April is a long stretch ....

The real winter in Northern NJ lasts from the beginning of December through Mid March. That is approximately 3.5 months. During that time span, daytime high temperatures are generally between 30F and 55F. There will be cold spells interspersed with mild spells. A relatively mild 38-42 degrees F day with a low temperature in the 20s probably most typifies a NJ winter day. Hardly Chicago let alone Minneapolis ....

Most of the snowfall (whatever falls in a given year, this can vary from very little to a moderate amount) falls in a two month span centering around late January/early February.

The rest of the year in NJ is just fine - mild to hot - April through November.

This same description can be applied to the entire northeast corridor +/- a few degrees and adjusting for more or less snowfall as necessary.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:53 PM

166 posts, read 538,833 times
Quote:
Are you really ready for the long winters? the high cost of living? Give the south a chance. BTW, I drove through Murfressboro on my way to San Antonio from MA four years ago. You can't judge the whole south by that hick town. There are plenty of large cities that aren't as conservative and in-your-face religious. You should check out Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, or Atlanta. who knows? The job market might be better there too. Ask yourself --- am I really ready for the 6 month winters? If you can look at yourself in the mirror with a resounding yes, you should go back to NJ. If you're not sure, give another city/state a chance. Youre only 20. If you hate it, you can always go back. Personally I go back to MA every summer for two weeks, I visit my small town, I visit Boston, the Cape, etc. It's beautiful and I appreciate it now more than I used to, but wouldn't move back because I just hate winter that much.
I really would not classify Murfreesboro as a hick town. The fact that a lot of people work at MTSU gives it a much more liberal atmosphere than most cities in the state (with the exception of Nashville). But the whole aspect of religion is not really the fact that so many people are religious, is that they feel the need to rub it in your face (even in a town like Murfreesboro where I have had people solicit their church's pamphlets and cards at my workplace on more than one occasion).

And I need to reiterate this again, but I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTEEEEE the summers here in Tennessee. The heat is just so oppressive. I have rarely left my house when the house it out unless it is to go to work. I'll take a cold winter over a humid, muggy summer any day. Oh, and I know people say that me being TN does not give me experience on cold weather, but we just had a very unusually cold and snowy winter back in January and February and this is heaven compared to what I go thru now with the heat.

And I have been to Atlanta numerous times. While I do enjoy the cities to an extent, I have to agree with what someone from another poster said in that a lot of the big Sunbelt cities (Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Orlando, etc.) are nothing more than sprawled out suburbs.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,743,587 times
There's your answer. Life is too short.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,743,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I really would not classify Murfreesboro as a hick town. The fact that a lot of people work at MTSU gives it a much more liberal atmosphere than most cities in the state (with the exception of Nashville). But the whole aspect of religion is not really the fact that so many people are religious, is that they feel the need to rub it in your face (even in a town like Murfreesboro where I have had people solicit their church's pamphlets and cards at my workplace on more than one occasion).

And I need to reiterate this again, but I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTEEEEE the summers here in Tennessee. The heat is just so oppressive. I have rarely left my house when the house it out unless it is to go to work. I'll take a cold winter over a humid, muggy summer any day. Oh, and I know people say that me being TN does not give me experience on cold weather, but we just had a very unusually cold and snowy winter back in January and February and this is heaven compared to what I go thru now with the heat.

And I have been to Atlanta numerous times. While I do enjoy the cities to an extent, I have to agree with what someone from another poster said in that a lot of the big Sunbelt cities (Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Orlando, etc.) are nothing more than sprawled out suburbs.
There's your answer. Life is too short my friend. Just curious, what part of NJ are you from?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,144,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Didn't know that central PA had international tourist destinations like Charleston and Savannah and great beaches. Guess you learn something new everyday.
I wouldn't say either is a more international tourist destination than Hershey or Gettysburg, PA. Central PA doesn't have beaches, however.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:56 PM

459 posts, read 1,125,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
I love the South more, then the North by a LOT. I wanna stay below the mason dixon line, y'all hear? I don't fit in at all with Northerners, I'm too conservative, more Religion-friendly then most northerners, I listen to Country Music, and I can NOT stand the noise anymore!

I like ribs, I like country singers, I love God, I'm a firebreathing supporter of the Republican Party, I love it below the Mason Dixon Line.

Because that's where it's at
But keep in mind -- moving South (especially a metro area like Charlotte or Atlanta) and liking country music don't make you a Southerner...

Old 08-10-2010, 01:12 PM

459 posts, read 1,125,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Yankee View Post
I was born and raised in Vermont, and have lived in rural North Carolina for the past 4 years. I absolutely LOVE the south! I am a conservative Christian, strong Republican, sweet tea drinking person. I proudly hang a confederate flag in my bedroom. Even though I was born in Vermont I really did not fit in there. Vermonters always seemed cold and aloof in my opinion, and you could not pay me enough money to go back there!

I can't tell you the sense of pride that I felt when I traded my Vermont Driver's License for a North Carolina License. Long live the south!!
You aren't a "former yankee" -- just a Yankee living here.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:19 PM

7,615 posts, read 9,472,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Yankee View Post
I was born and raised in Vermont, and have lived in rural North Carolina for the past 4 years. I absolutely LOVE the south! I am a conservative Christian, strong Republican, sweet tea drinking person. I proudly hang a confederate flag in my bedroom. Even though I was born in Vermont I really did not fit in there. Vermonters always seemed cold and aloof in my opinion, and you could not pay me enough money to go back there!

I can't tell you the sense of pride that I felt when I traded my Vermont Driver's License for a North Carolina License. Long live the south!!
Thank you for leaving; Vermonters ( and others) don't want your Confederate flag poisoning their state..

Old 08-10-2010, 03:37 PM

49 posts, read 139,839 times
Could never understand the pride one has in hanging a symbol that represents the worst ideas and actions in American history... that symbol being the flag that "Former Yankee" admires. I second MassVt's sentiment... though I don't live in Vermont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or