Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 05:16 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
You aren't a "former yankee" -- just a Yankee living here.
A New Yorker living in Florida, for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 PM

166 posts, read 609,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
There's your answer. Life is too short my friend. Just curious, what part of NJ are you from?
Was born in Trenton. Lived in nearby Hamilton Township where most of family lives. 30 minutes from Philly, 60-75 minutes from NYC, 45 minutes from the beach, 2-3 hours from the mountains in PA and 25 mins from Six Flags. It's a perfect location.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,371,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Sounds like you should have lived in....the mountains. We actually have those in the South.

The mountains? I've been to southern "mountains". Never saw anything approaching a freshwater alpine lake- just some muddy dammed up rivers. They also don't have look, feel, topography, or beauty of the cascades, sierras, or rockies. Again, you may prefer rounded mountains that rarely peak above 5,000 feet. I don't. Sorry. I like my wountains to have skiing, majesty, etc. I found the southern "mountains" to feel like glorified hills with limited scenic beauty, no freshwater laters, no wildflowers, etc. that i like and prefer in the west. I prefer the desert southwest in feel/look to the South. I prefer the Pacific NW to the feel/look of the South. I prefer the California coast feel/look to the SOuth. I prefer the Mountain west to the South. Hiking, Skiing, views, weather are important to me, and the South suffers in comparison FOR ME to the West. Culturally I prefer the West and Northeast to the South. Sorry.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,824 times
I've lived in San Diego, Monterey and find that my roots of New England provide the ambiance of 4 seasons. Lucky that I am back in NE, living in NH where the air is fresh, full of pine and oak but 7 miles from the ocean and 40 min to skiing and mountains. Boating in the summertime links me to off shore islands and shopping ports/harbors. I am now looking forward to apple picking! I also antique shop...found some unique reproduction shops too! Life couldn't be better than the Northeast!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:44 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
The mountains? I've been to southern "mountains". Never saw anything approaching a freshwater alpine lake- just some muddy dammed up rivers. They also don't have look, feel, topography, or beauty of the cascades, sierras, or rockies. Again, you may prefer rounded mountains that rarely peak above 5,000 feet. I don't. Sorry. I like my wountains to have skiing, majesty, etc. I found the southern "mountains" to feel like glorified hills with limited scenic beauty, no freshwater laters, no wildflowers, etc. that i like and prefer in the west. I prefer the desert southwest in feel/look to the South. I prefer the Pacific NW to the feel/look of the South. I prefer the California coast feel/look to the SOuth. I prefer the Mountain west to the South. Hiking, Skiing, views, weather are important to me, and the South suffers in comparison FOR ME to the West. Culturally I prefer the West and Northeast to the South. Sorry.
You said the South lacked mountain/hills. Now you admit that we have them, but they just don't live up to your standards. That's fine, but don't act like we don't have them. But I definitely take issue with the "limited scenic beauty" statement. Not sure how anyone could not find this beautiful, even if you prefer the mountains of the West (which is understandable):

http://www.mlewallpapers.com/image/1...n-Fall-462.jpg

http://marghe.us/Famous_Pictures/Nature%20Scenes%20-%20Nature%20by%20Kennan%20Ward/Lush%20Landscape,%20Appalachian%20Mountains,%20Nor th%20Carolina.jpg (broken link)
http://marghe.us/Famous_Pictures/Nature%20Scenes%20-%20Nature%20by%20Kennan%20Ward/Lush%20Landscape,%20Appalachian%20Mountains,%20Nor th%20Carolina.jpg (broken link)

http://www.highcountryconsulting.com...ofile-mtns.jpg

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb...0-11623EC9.jpg

Old 08-14-2010, 02:04 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I'm thinking that you've never visited:

1. The Great Smoky Mountains of NC/TN (most visited national park in the U.S.) Great Smoky Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2. Mount Mitchell (highest peak in the eastern U.S) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Mitchell
3.The Blue Ridge Parkway (most visited unit in the national parks system) Blue Ridge Parkway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are some of America's gems...and they are no joke. There are many more mountain attractions like those listed above - Grandfather Mountain, Linville Gorge, Hanging Rock, the Shenedoah Valley, etc, etc. It's not advisable to criticize something you are obviously unfamiliar with.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 08-14-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm thinking that you've never visited:

1. The Great Smoky Mountains of NC/TN (most visited national park in the U.S.) Great Smoky Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2. Mount Mitchell (highest peak in the eastern U.S) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Mitchell
3.The Blue Ridge Parkway (most visited unit in the national parks system) Blue Ridge Parkway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are some of America's gems...and they are no joke. There are many more mountain attractions like those listed above - Grandfather Mountain, Linville Gorge, Hanging Rock, the Shenedoah Valley, etc, etc. It's not advisable to criticize something you are obviously unfamiliar with.
Been to Grandfather mountain, Hanging Rock, Shenedoah Valley. My friend had a cabin in Blowing Rock that I stayed in numerous times and when I stayed there I visited many of the supposedly "majestic" locations in the nearby region. So yes, I'm familar with the places you describe, and they are not very impressive IF, and I emphasize IF, you grew up in the West. When you are used to mountains like Mt. Hood, lakes like Lake Tahoe, and parks like Yosemite, the South just doesn't do it (at least for me). Maybe you disagree, but I'm unaware of the famous southern ski slopes, freshwater lakes (that are not muddy dammed lakes), etc.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,705,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Thank you for leaving; Vermonters ( and others) don't want your Confederate flag poisoning their state..

Im sure you would not like the 3rd national confederate that flys from my front porch in central Michigan either. Since I am from the midwest and not the south, I guess I could be called a modern day copperhead eh. The confederate ideals of small goverment and states rights are much more inline with the founding fathers than are the big goverment values that the people of the northeast cling to. Anywhere north of mason dixon and east of Ohio is more or less the peoples republic version of America. To me the confedrate flag stands for the courage of the southern people who stood up to federal oppression, and my support of states rights then and now.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Im sure you would not like the 3rd national confederate that flys from my front porch in central Michigan either. Since I am from the midwest and not the south, I guess I could be called a modern day copperhead eh. The confederate ideals of small goverment and states rights are much more inline with the founding fathers than are the big goverment values that the people of the northeast cling to. Anywhere north of mason dixon and east of Ohio is more or less the peoples republic version of America. To me the confedrate flag stands for the courage of the southern people who stood up to federal oppression, and my support of states rights then and now.
If the confederate flag represents states rights, why were the confederate states interested in imposing federal power (Dredd Scott, Fugitive Slave Law) to undermine states rights? What could be a bigger and more disgusting excersize of oppresive federal power than refusing a state's right to recognize the freedom of its own citizens? But that was exactly what the confederate states were in favor of.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,230,017 times
How come it is mostly rednecks who drag stuff behind their pick up trucks who have the confederate flag flying or a bumper sticker?

I think it makes it easier to spot the idiots, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.