U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,472,772 times

Advertisements

Back to the main topic.

I moved down to rural NC from Michigan over a year ago because I couldn't find a teaching job up there. The first year I was homesick, but I've really grown to like the place. A lot. That said, I'd move back north--New England, Upstate New York, Michigan--in a heartbeat. Here are a couple of reasons.

1. I hate the heat. I'd gladly take a cold, snowy winter with my family over the oppressive summers down here. Ugh.
2. Southern hospitality is nice, but I'm not southern. It's not 'home' and while I like experiencing a different culture, it will never be home, and I will never really be a southerner. That's for certain.
3. There's still a lot of cultural baggage down here left over from slavery, racism and the civil war--at least in the countryside. Thankfully we didn't have that in Michigan--outside Detroit.

I DO like the politeness and sunny demeanor that southerners have. It's very endearing. I also like the appalachian mountains and the winters are great (a lot like November in Michigan--with sunshine). But I'd rather have orchards, lakes and cool pine forests and snowy nights under the stars than tobacco fields and oppressive heat.

North = home.

Last edited by mackinac81; 09-19-2010 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,595,185 times
I live in Florida and intend to return to Pennsylvania. The heat/humidity here are stifling along; with other factors that make me feel more comfortable back North.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:07 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,011,334 times
Louisville, KY metro area
1) HEAT, HUMIDITY, HEAT make me definitely want to move north again.
2) Low educational attainment and undereducation is an extreme problem.
3) Completely crumbling and decaying infrastructure as well as a lack of infrastructure in many areas. (Apparently the town/city govt have never heard of applying for block grants to solve some of those issues).
4) Depressed economy. (This is mostly the result of #2 as it creates systemic problems with economic development, recruting companies, and bringing in higher paying jobs).

The only two factors I like about the South are:
1) LOW LOW LOW cost of living
2) Generally friendly and helpful people, (although you have to expect they will talk behind your back as it is the South!)

Old 09-20-2010, 05:02 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,153,823 times
GraniteStater: where would you rather live?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 PM

6,527 posts, read 7,483,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Back to the main topic.

I moved down to rural NC from Michigan over a year ago because I couldn't find a teaching job up there. The first year I was homesick, but I've really grown to like the place. A lot. That said, I'd move back north--New England, Upstate New York, Michigan--in a heartbeat. Here are a couple of reasons.

1. I hate the heat. I'd gladly take a cold, snowy winter with my family over the oppressive summers down here. Ugh.
2. Southern hospitality is nice, but I'm not southern. It's not 'home' and while I like experiencing a different culture, it will never be home, and I will never really be a southerner. That's for certain.
3. There's still a lot of cultural baggage down here left over from slavery, racism and the civil war--at least in the countryside. Thankfully we didn't have that in Michigan--outside Detroit.

I DO like the politeness and sunny demeanor that southerners have. It's very endearing. I also like the appalachian mountains and the winters are great (a lot like November in Michigan--with sunshine). But I'd rather have orchards, lakes and cool pine forests and snowy nights under the stars than tobacco fields and oppressive heat.

North = home.

Better think twice, at least for now. I live in central Michigan and I can tell you the economy has not gotten better here. You also mention New York and New England as an option to move north. If you think North Carolina is not home and is different, you will find the northeastern states to be even more different and they would never be home either. Northeastern states are nothing like midwestern states. Just as big of a culture shock there as well. Wait it out a few years and the Michigan economy may allow you to return. If you dont want to wait, Wisconsin and Minnesota are doing better than we are and they are almost identical to Michgian in every way.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,798,402 times
Default I prefer "Up North" living ...

Being a native of metro Cleveland, I found myself definitely "homesick" after residing for two years in Charlotte ...
I missed the renowned cultural endowments of Cleveland ... there was no Cleveland Museum Of Art or Cleveland Orchestra anymore to enjoy. I longed to discover areas like Clevelands "Little Italy", Shaker Square, University Circle, Ohio City, Cedar Fairmount or Tremont in Charlotte ... but absolutely nothing compared to what I was "accustomed to" back home in Cleveland.

I'm not saying that Charlotte is a bad city that is devoid of culture, as it certainly is not the case ...
What I am saying is that there ARE huge differences in regional and city cultures, and most people end up feeling dismay once the "novelty" effect wears off.

It was my own fault though ... how could I compare Charlotte to a city like Cleveland? The correct answer is that YOU SIMPLY CAN NOT!

Cleveland is a city that saw the rise of their cultural amenities and venues during the GUILDED AGE resulting in grandiose museums and other venues that feature outstanding architecture ... something that simply does not exist in a city like Charlotte ... a city that has really only blossomed and come full circle in the past 25 to 30 years.
I missed the friendliness and ease in Cleveland, too ... something I definitely did not experience in Charlotte.

Nothing against Charlotte, as it is a very modern and progressive city ... but my experiences there enabled me to gain an entirely new appreciation for what I had left behind in Cleveland. I've lived in several cities across America, I always find my way back to Cleveland though.

The lesson is, don't expect to discover in the south, what you left behind "up north" ... they're two entirely different regions and experiences. I am extremely pleased and content to be living back in Cleveland, to directly
respond to the thread topic.

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 09-21-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 12:12 PM

26,175 posts, read 28,568,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
I love the South more, then the North by a LOT. I wanna stay below the mason dixon line, y'all hear? I don't fit in at all with Northerners, I'm too conservative, more Religion-friendly then most northerners, I listen to Country Music, and I can NOT stand the noise anymore!

I like ribs, I like country singers, I love God, I'm a firebreathing supporter of the Republican Party, I love it below the Mason Dixon Line.

Because that's where it's at
And you don't know the difference between "then" and "than".

Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,011,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
GraniteStater: where would you rather live?
Minneapolis, Denver, or Seattle.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,472,772 times
Quote:
Originally posted by danielj72
Better think twice, at least for now. I live in central Michigan and I can tell you the economy has not gotten better here. You also mention New York and New England as an option to move north. If you think North Carolina is not home and is different, you will find the northeastern states to be even more different and they would never be home either. Northeastern states are nothing like midwestern states. Just as big of a culture shock there as well. Wait it out a few years and the Michigan economy may allow you to return. If you dont want to wait, Wisconsin and Minnesota are doing better than we are and they are almost identical to Michgian in every way.
Yeah, I don't plan to return anytime soon--unfortunately. I still keep tabs on the MI economy and I'm bummed that nothing's happened. I've thought about Wisconsin and Minnesota though--at least the Twin Cities anyway.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:35 PM

707 posts, read 1,295,510 times
I moved to Tampa FL from Rochester NY. I hate it. I miss the feeling of friendly people, noncrazy drivers, I miss seasons 100 degrees everyday is not cool, I miss seeing my daughter being able to actually play outside, I miss having friends, I miss cheaper electric, groceries and car costs, I miss everything. I cant wait to be back in Rochester in 2012!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or