U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,163,212 times

Advertisements

I lived in Atlanta for a few years but ended up moving back to Chicago. The only time I miss Atlanta is in the middle of winter. Every year around that time I wonder why I live in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 AM

29 posts, read 127,882 times
i just moved to Tampa FL , PS id rather be back home in NY

Old 09-29-2010, 06:00 PM

848 posts, read 1,680,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
The northern culture is dominate in the main FL cities besides Jacksonville.
Huh? The "northern culture" is not (sic) "dominate" everywhere but Jax.

Hispanic culture is predominant in southern Florida. Try finding someone who speaks English at the Miami airport.

If anything, it seems to me hispanic culture will be dominant in the not so distant future.

Other than Clearwater, of course. It's culture is Christian Scientist. LOL They're a well loved group over there.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:34 PM

2,953 posts, read 6,143,185 times
MI native removed to OH removed to NC. I have a few thoughts, mostly inspired by my very recent trip back this past weekend.

Don't get me wrong.. I really like Charlotte. The weather is awesome, plenty to do. But, I am definitely a northerner and we don't know if Charlotte will be where we settle solely because of the subtle differences. Plus, family and friends being so far away. We'll see how it goes!

One huge turn off is the sheer amount of transplants that have transformed the town. It is not a southern town, it is a transplant town. With that comes problems - sprawl, congestion, inflated housing prices (yes, I am a transplant myself). I have no complaints against the locals and their culture, but I also don't fit into the typical culture. This is truly a learning experience that I am enjoying. I notice differences in the mindset between northerners and southerners, and I sometimes find I can't wrap my head around some of the southern ways of thinking. The other items that are factors for me:
1. bugs .. there are really a lot of bugs that get really big
2. lack of fresh water
3. lack of produce variety - sure, we have melons and peaches, but apples, cherries, etc are harder to come by

Overall, I think my hubby is convinced he will want to move on at some point - either back to OH or maybe even some place else for a new adventure. Right now, we both are in great positions for our careers and this will be where we weather out the storm for the next few years. We do get out and about, enjoy the city, enjoy the outdoors, and meet new people every day. We're not in any hurry to leave, and our opinion may change. Who knows!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 AM

40 posts, read 82,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This post makes a good point. Southerners like to refer to yankees and northerners as if they are all the same no matter whether they come from New York or Indiana. While the south does have a somewhat similar culture and accent, the north does not. In fact there is no such region as "the north" The north is really at least two seperate regions, the northeast and the midwest. The culture of Grand Rapids Michigan is completly alien to someone living in Boston Ma. In fact a thick New England accent may be tough for someone in the midwest to even understand. The values of the two regions are different, as are the ethnic makeup of them. The northeast is far more urban, far more politically liberal, while the midwest is slower and less densely populated. It is funny that southerners do not see this fact, as they are constantly lumping all northerners together as if they share a common culture. I challenge any southerner to travel to rural Michigan or Wisconsin and still claim that the north is one big fast paced concrete jungle where people talk fast. I think most of them would be shocked at what they saw there. No skyscrapers, no rude fast paced people, lots of woods and farms, and yes far better fishing and hunting than they could EVER hope to see down south. If you are from down south please dont take me wrong, I am no south basher. In fact I love the south. I am just baffled how so many people down there think we midwesterns are the same as those people out east southerns are constantly lumping us in with.
who said anything about the midwest??

Old 11-03-2010, 07:26 PM

7 posts, read 11,326 times
I grew up mostly in New York, spending a lot of time also in New Jersey, Philadelphia, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. In middle school My family moved to Savannah, Georgia and I have to say I despised the place. Don't get me wrong, it is GORGEOUS! but the culture is so inclusive and backwards. I can't stand conservative attitudes. While my sister embraced the culture of the south almost as soon as we arrived, I never did. To this day, I live Birmingham now, and people can tell immediately I am not from the south. I particularly dislike the delusional attitude of some southerners who seem to be under the impression that everybody in New York is rude and southerners have better food. Obviously none of them have tried a real Philly cheesesteak, real New York pizza, or real bagels, or they would say something so ignorant. And you will never meet more tolerant, hard working people than in NYC. There are some nice things about the south. I love Atlanta. That city is fun and has a lot if potential to show a more modern, liberal, cultural, and progressive side to this region. Nashville is also a fun place. Birmingham because it is pretty much the only place with any luxury restaurants and museums that display any level of sophistication in the entire mess of a state that is Alabama. Oh, and the mountains in North Carolina are gorgeous! but overall i'd be happy anywhere but here. I just never fit in.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
We moved to Birmingham (An hidden gem if ever there was one) after living in Cleveland, Chicago, Baltimore, and San Diego. Love the place. When headhunters call, I thank them politely and tell them I'm staying put. Wanna know why?

1) Cost of living. We bought our house in my graceful suburb (Not a McMansion in a gated community, mind you) for the equity we got from selling our house in Chicago. My property taxes are one third what I paid up north and my kids go to one of the top 100 school systems in the country.

2) Polite, embracing people. You know, I've read some strange comments on here about Southerners being two-faced or not accepting of others. That's just so much baloney. First, two-faced people are everywhere. Second, if you simply recognize the difference in culture when moving here (And trust me, they do exist) and resolve to enjoy yourself, then the world is your oyster. People open doors. People say Please and Thank You. Perfect strangers can have nice conversations in grocery store checkout lines. If you have a flat, people will stop and ask if you need help. Who the heck wouldn't like that?

Seriously, if you can't make friends among Southerners, then you are the social equivalent of a thalidomide child and should get psychiatric help.

3) Lots of beautiful landscape. No, it's not as dramatic as the Rockies or the Sierras. But it's a very graceful place.

4) Plenty of cultural amenities. In the past year, I've seen Yo Yo Ma play the cello, gone to dozens of musical performances and art exhibitions, etc. etc. etc. If you're actually telling me that there's no cultural life in the South, then you have rocks in your head.

5) Climate. Well, okay. The summers were hard to take at first. I'll give you that. But I never have to endure another Chicago or Cleveland winter again, so I'm fine with the heat. It's really only bad in July and August anyway.

In short, if you compare the worst of one region to the best of another, then at least be honest. Hey, there are times when I miss life up north of the Mason Dixon line. But they aren't often. And my wife would have to leave here at gunpoint. If I ever walked in and said, "Hey, got a job offer in Milwaukee," she'd simply say, "Write often."

Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 PM

23 posts, read 21,147 times
I'm always amused when people from Vermont, the whitest state in the Union, lecture Southerners on race. And it's so funny to see them get indignant about the Southern rebellion when they rebelled themselves. BTW, I'm a Yankee.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,129,292 times
Vermont is also a very progressive and welcoming state. There is little to no history of backlash against people of different ethnicites and cultures and religions.

Contrast this with Kentucky, which is 92% white. Big racial, ethnic, and religious problems.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:38 PM

126 posts, read 272,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterForever View Post
I absolutely hate NC. My husband is not fond of the place either. Racism is still a problem here and no one really seems to care they just along with it. The area around Charlotte is VERY rural and very church orientated. We are not church goers not in the slightest....... Everything is so spaced out here its ridiculous. And I have found southern hospitality to be a fake. It's different when you are just visiting the south but living there is a whole different ball game. We are faced with

hearing gunshots by and sometimes hitting our house
seeing confederate flags
higher cost of living
poor road conditions
poor living conditions like seeing animal tied to trees with no fresh water or food...nearly breaks my heart as i am an animal lover
boring, unhealthy food choices no good Italian or ethnic foods
several break-ins
blunt and upfront racism
no street lights on the roads
religion everywhere

not saying these are bad things for everybody but we never had these problems while living in NYC metro area and the DMV ( dc-maryland-virginia) area. i would pack up my belongings and move back to NYC or DC in a heartbeat if given the chance. i do not like this area at all.
This is a hateful post for a number of reasons. I don't understand why so many Northerners choose to stay living in the South while constantly talking about how backwards we are.

Some of the stuff on your list is quite laughable and suspicious. It appears to me you are stereotyping "white Southern 'rednecks'". This is funny because I am a Southern Belle and I have NEVER felt in danger in any part of the rural South.

NYC doesn't have high crime rates? Give me a break. Crime is hardly an issue of "white Southern rednecks" but more or less something that is common in any inner city in this country that has a large concentration of minorities (particularly blacks and hispanics).

In regards to "seeing confederate flags"......oh my, you poor dear.

Also...."poor living conditions like seeing animal tied to trees with no fresh water or food...nearly breaks my heart as i am an animal lover". Give me a break. It is not as if you are living in the Third World. You say the South is racist and not open minded enough. Well believe, me, the more Third World immigrants we let into this country, the more animals you will see tied up to trees.

Your post was a nice piece of fiction. Stop being so ignorant. I am sick of Northerners describing white Southerners as if we are the arm pit of the entire planet, when there are plenty of other types of people who do things much worse than we do (people Northerners claim they are tolerant of).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or