U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2010, 11:40 PM
 
126 posts, read 272,929 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Vermont is also a very progressive and welcoming state. There is little to no history of backlash against people of different ethnicites and cultures and religions.

Contrast this with Kentucky, which is 92% white. Big racial, ethnic, and religious problems.
How much do you know about Kentucky? I agree with the previous poster. Overall, the South has far more blacks and hispanics, yet Northerners who only live around other whites want to lecture us on how to handle our racial issues. What a bunch of hateful hypocrites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 PM
 
126 posts, read 272,929 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmini View Post
I grew up mostly in New York, spending a lot of time also in New Jersey, Philadelphia, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. In middle school My family moved to Savannah, Georgia and I have to say I despised the place. Don't get me wrong, it is GORGEOUS! but the culture is so inclusive and backwards. I can't stand conservative attitudes. While my sister embraced the culture of the south almost as soon as we arrived, I never did. To this day, I live Birmingham now, and people can tell immediately I am not from the south. I particularly dislike the delusional attitude of some southerners who seem to be under the impression that everybody in New York is rude and southerners have better food. Obviously none of them have tried a real Philly cheesesteak, real New York pizza, or real bagels, or they would say something so ignorant. And you will never meet more tolerant, hard working people than in NYC. There are some nice things about the south. I love Atlanta. That city is fun and has a lot if potential to show a more modern, liberal, cultural, and progressive side to this region. Nashville is also a fun place. Birmingham because it is pretty much the only place with any luxury restaurants and museums that display any level of sophistication in the entire mess of a state that is Alabama. Oh, and the mountains in North Carolina are gorgeous! but overall i'd be happy anywhere but here. I just never fit in.
Your post is ignorant and it is based on your own opinions and biases. Don't lecture the South on being intolerant about our food etc....when we are staying put in our own states. It is you and the rest of the North, it seems, who feels the need to move down here, expecting US to change. Who is more intolerant here?

Of course Southerners think their culture is the best. Doesn't everybody think their culture is the best? If you don't like the arrogance then please go back to wonderful New York.

If I decided to move to Saudi Arabia, I wouldn't constantly feel the need to lecture the natives on how they need to stop thinking their culture is the best when I don't like it. No, I would pack up and leave!

Your post is idiotic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 AM
 
126 posts, read 272,929 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
The Northern culture is very different from the Southern Culture. The South eats more fatty food then the North, Also older people think they can get away with things just because they are older and think they can talk down to younger people. There you have it.
You sir are ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:23 PM
 
5,861 posts, read 14,070,390 times
Reputation: 3491
southerndiver: Here's why you encounter lots of complaining Northerners in the South. There has been a major shift in this country over the past 3 decades as economic activity has moved from the North to the South. Many Northerners moved to your region because that is where their jobs moved! It wasn't their idea. I am sure they had culture shock when they got down there, and it was natural for them to compare and complain. These are forces that are bigger than all of us. No one likes to be displaced. I am sure it is annoying to hear the complaints, but you need to look at the problem from their perspective. Look on the bright side. These same economic forces are what have lifted your region for an agricultural society to an industrial/commercial one. I'm guessing some Southerners think that whining Northerners are a small price to pay for greater prosperity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:31 PM
 
5,861 posts, read 14,070,390 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Better think twice, at least for now. I live in central Michigan and I can tell you the economy has not gotten better here. You also mention New York and New England as an option to move north. If you think North Carolina is not home and is different, you will find the northeastern states to be even more different and they would never be home either. Northeastern states are nothing like midwestern states. Just as big of a culture shock there as well. Wait it out a few years and the Michigan economy may allow you to return. If you dont want to wait, Wisconsin and Minnesota are doing better than we are and they are almost identical to Michgian in every way.
Have you ever lived in a Northeastern state? I'm originally from NY but have lived most of my adult life in WI and MN. I see many similarities between the NE and these 2 states. Same for MI, though my experience with you state is visiting on several occasions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
 
5,861 posts, read 14,070,390 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4ivaylo View Post
What's better in the South as opposed to the North: overall, it's dirt cheap.
But, you get what you pay for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 07:43 PM
 
1,728 posts, read 4,133,920 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndiver View Post
Your post is ignorant and it is based on your own opinions and biases. Don't lecture the South on being intolerant about our food etc....when we are staying put in our own states. It is you and the rest of the North, it seems, who feels the need to move down here, expecting US to change. Who is more intolerant here?

Of course Southerners think their culture is the best. Doesn't everybody think their culture is the best? If you don't like the arrogance then please go back to wonderful New York.

If I decided to move to Saudi Arabia, I wouldn't constantly feel the need to lecture the natives on how they need to stop thinking their culture is the best when I don't like it. No, I would pack up and leave!

Your post is idiotic!
Last time I checked it's the "southern evangelical religious values" trying to impose THEIR culture on the sinful Northerners. Just because Pat Robertson says it, doesn't make it true.

Frankly speaking, most of us northerners, which according to the south, includes the west coast, couldn't care less what happens in the south. Yet southerners can't wait to pounce on the "north" for its lack of religiosity, educational system, unions, politics, diversity, immigration, you name it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 PM
 
7 posts, read 11,344 times
Reputation: 33
Southerndiver, defensiveness is not helping your argument in any way. I clearly stated that I don't dislike all of the south. And the northeast is far from perfect. In fact, as a well-traveled person who has lived in different continents, I know no place or region is perfect. However, the only reason I bring up major problems in the south is because it has just affected me in a very painful way. I didn't choose to come here or be here. I'm here. In fact your defensiveness is almost a caricature of what I absolutely didn't expect but experienced from day one. I had NO preconceived notions about the south. I was born in another country. I had very little idea how different The rest of the northeast is from the rest of America. I didn't understand the intense cultural divide between the north and south at all. The reaction I got for simply not having a southern accent were very unpleasant. For being liberal, even more. For not caring about football, I was called horrible names. So that's where I'm coming from. I agree Northerners who have never spent any real time in the south should not make any judgements. Similarly, southerners should not base how rude and Godless the north is based on vague ideas. But since I have spent almost equal time in both regions I am far from ignorant. It is the contrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 AM
 
Location: GA-TX
442 posts, read 706,097 times
Reputation: 217
I always wonder what cities people are living in when they say they lived in the south. All these rediculas horror stories couldn't have came from larger southern metros unless you want to talk about traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 10:07 AM
 
126 posts, read 272,929 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Last time I checked it's the "southern evangelical religious values" trying to impose THEIR culture on the sinful Northerners. Just because Pat Robertson says it, doesn't make it true.

Frankly speaking, most of us northerners, which according to the south, includes the west coast, couldn't care less what happens in the south. Yet southerners can't wait to pounce on the "north" for its lack of religiosity, educational system, unions, politics, diversity, immigration, you name it.
But we aren't moving up there in droves now are we?

And you don't care about what happens in the South? Give me a break! You have been imposing your ways on the South throughout most of history!

I am confused on what you mean about us imposing our ways on the North when all we do is stay put in our own states and vote the way we want.

And I would like to return the favor. Most Southerners look down on New Yorkers etc......You all seem to think you are the center of the universe, but most people in the South aren't jealous of anything you have at all. In fact we laugh at your culture up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top