U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-06-2010, 10:14 AM
 
126 posts, read 273,402 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I always wonder what cities people are living in when they say they lived in the south. All these rediculas horror stories couldn't have came from larger southern metros unless you want to talk about traffic.
Not only that, but many of the horror stories they speak of happen in Northern cities too. Like crime.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 PM
 
7 posts, read 11,400 times
Reputation: 33
Of course there's crime everywhere. No one is saying crime only happens in the south. You notice I managed to counter what your line of thinking is without using words like "idiotic"? And honestly crime in Northern cities- that being the three major ones New York, Philadelphia, and Boston- simply has a much different history than the south's. the organized crime that developed and thrived in these cities with a gang culture brought on by tensions between the wave of immigrants who settled in the north from eastern Europe, Italy, Ireland, and the "natives"- that being mostly Anglo Protestants who had been there generations. the crime based on these years-old tensions is on going. In the south the history of crime is completely different. I don't pretend to understand it completely but it is different in it's feel. So that may be what unsettled some northerners- not me. In fact the whole identity of the north was changed much more quickly than the south due to immigration in the turn of the century changing the culture of the place from mostly Anglo Protestant to mostly mostly Catholic or Jewish. The south is undergoing a boom immigration now that is being resisted by many here. So maybe the north just went through a transitional period of cultural change and integration of different lifestyles sooner and that is a big factor in northerners' shock to southern culture....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 PM
 
243 posts, read 243,817 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
southerndiver: Here's why you encounter lots of complaining Northerners in the South. There has been a major shift in this country over the past 3 decades as economic activity has moved from the North to the South. Many Northerners moved to your region because that is where their jobs moved! It wasn't their idea. I am sure they had culture shock when they got down there, and it was natural for them to compare and complain. These are forces that are bigger than all of us. No one likes to be displaced. I am sure it is annoying to hear the complaints, but you need to look at the problem from their perspective. Look on the bright side. These same economic forces are what have lifted your region for an agricultural society to an industrial/commercial one. I'm guessing some Southerners think that whining Northerners are a small price to pay for greater prosperity.
Well this Southener sure doesn't, I'd rather be p*** poor and happy. Money is nice, BUT it's not worth your home being ruined.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2010, 08:29 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 34,241,911 times
Reputation: 16845
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I always wonder what cities people are living in when they say they lived in the south. All these rediculas horror stories couldn't have came from larger southern metros unless you want to talk about traffic.
Lived in Dallas, TX ran into a lot of the same attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndiver View Post
Not only that, but many of the horror stories they speak of happen in Northern cities too. Like crime.
And crime doesn't happen in the South? This is one of the dumbest statements you have made so far (which is saying a LOT.)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2010, 08:33 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 34,241,911 times
Reputation: 16845
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndiver View Post
But we aren't moving up there in droves now are we?
Not now, but in the past there was a HUGE South to North migration for the exact same reasons people from the North are moving South. Jobs.

Quote:
And you don't care about what happens in the South? Give me a break! You have been imposing your ways on the South throughout most of history!

I am confused on what you mean about us imposing our ways on the North when all we do is stay put in our own states and vote the way we want.
Which is the same as 90% of the people from the North do.

Quote:
And I would like to return the favor. Most Southerners look down on New Yorkers etc......You all seem to think you are the center of the universe, but most people in the South aren't jealous of anything you have at all. In fact we laugh at your culture up there.
What are you 12 years old? The way you speak about the North sounds like you have NEVER been up for even a visit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 AM
 
126 posts, read 273,402 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmini View Post
Of course there's crime everywhere. No one is saying crime only happens in the south. You notice I managed to counter what your line of thinking is without using words like "idiotic"? And honestly crime in Northern cities- that being the three major ones New York, Philadelphia, and Boston- simply has a much different history than the south's. the organized crime that developed and thrived in these cities with a gang culture brought on by tensions between the wave of immigrants who settled in the north from eastern Europe, Italy, Ireland, and the "natives"- that being mostly Anglo Protestants who had been there generations. the crime based on these years-old tensions is on going. In the south the history of crime is completely different. I don't pretend to understand it completely but it is different in it's feel. So that may be what unsettled some northerners- not me. In fact the whole identity of the north was changed much more quickly than the south due to immigration in the turn of the century changing the culture of the place from mostly Anglo Protestant to mostly mostly Catholic or Jewish. The south is undergoing a boom immigration now that is being resisted by many here. So maybe the north just went through a transitional period of cultural change and integration of different lifestyles sooner and that is a big factor in northerners' shock to southern culture....
Ummmmm. Plenty of people on here have had "high crime rates" as one of their reasons for disliking the South.

The other factor they like to talk about is "racism". I get tired of that label too. As you explain in your post, racism has always existed up North, as well, just like crime. It happens anywhere you have a lot of different groups intermingling. It is part of life.

I get irritated with people on here from states like Vermont etc... where everyone is white, but yet they feel the need to lecture us in the South (our black populations range from 30% to 50% depending on what state you live in) about racism. Total hypocrisy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 07:11 AM
 
126 posts, read 273,402 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post

And crime doesn't happen in the South? This is one of the dumbest statements you have made so far (which is saying a LOT.)
If you aren't going to pay attention then don't get involved. My whole point before was I was irritated with Northerners for talking about crime in the South as if we are the only part of the country that has it. In fact, the quote from me that you quote, makes it clear that I am acknowledging that the North has it as well as the South. I never said only the North has it.

After following my argument I don't understand why you came up with such an absurd assumption. Perhaps you just like jumping into arguments with people without thinking it through first?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 AM
 
126 posts, read 273,402 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
What are you 12 years old? The way you speak about the North sounds like you have NEVER been up for even a visit.
You are really starting to irritate me. If you read most of the ignorance on this website coming from Northerners (did you even read the earlier posts on this same thread directed at the South), you should understand where I am coming from.

I am not on a mission on here to put down the North. Unlike your ignorant assumption I HAVE been up North. I like it, but I would never ever ever live there.

You keep overreacting to what I am saying because you just want to argue with me. I am simply reacting to the constant hatred that is shown on this website toward the South. You obviously haven't read many of the earlier posts on this thread!

I don't understand what your problem is. You are assuming my posts are written out of ignorance and hatred when all I am doing is defending my region of the country. Get over it.

And why are you so quick to jump on me when it seems that all you do is bash the South yourself?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 34,241,911 times
Reputation: 16845
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndiver View Post

And why are you so quick to jump on me when it seems that all you do is bash the South yourself?
Show me where all I do is "bash the South" please. Good luck. My family is from the South, I still have relatives in the South. I can count back generations in both the South and the North. I didn't like living in the South myself, but have said time and again on C-D that I still have MANY friends who live there and that generally I found everybody friendly.

Your comment about just defending your part of the Country is just a lame excuse to toss names around and call other people ignorant. If someone from up North posted the same you would come all unwrapped and call it personal attacks, but for you it is just "defending." Honestly, the last time I heard that used as an excuse for bad behavior was from a 12 year old. I rest my case.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2010, 02:51 PM
 
7 posts, read 11,400 times
Reputation: 33
Vermont is mostly white because slavery was not an industry of such enormous scale that it was in the south. The huge plantations in the south- before technology caught up- depended on the unpaid labor of slaves. Vermont has a different history than say, South Carolina where huge plantations were. Vermont was always a farming area and has become one of the most liberal states. New York has the highest black population in the country because of the job opportunities that brought blacks up from the south. those job opportunities were sparse in Vermont. So THAT is why Vermont is a majority- white state. It has much less to do with a racist double- standard than you are claiming.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top