U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:02 PM

175 posts, read 223,024 times

Advertisements

What the time doesn't have crime? What since when lol

Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, Richmond, Jackson, Baton Rouge, Little Rock, Birmingham, Miami, and many many small towns in southern states have crime problems. Southern cities are more dangerous than northern ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 11:56 AM

442 posts, read 704,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
What the time doesn't have crime? What since when lol

Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, Richmond, Jackson, Baton Rouge, Little Rock, Birmingham, Miami, and many many small towns in southern states have crime problems. Southern cities are more dangerous than northern ones.
Looks like D.C. beats nearly all those place.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by sk8t; 11-09-2010 at 01:10 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 09:17 PM

1,815 posts, read 715,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree completly with what you say about the war of northern aggression, and how it impacted the southern sense of regional identity. The battles were largely fought on southern soil, southern towns and plantations were destroyed, and the consequences of defeat were rammed down thier throats thru reconstruction and carpetbagging. To add insult to injury the media and hollywood have portrayed the south as backward and inferior for the past 100 years, and history books have taught Americas youth about the moral superiority of the north, and how they defeated and reformed the backward slavemasters of Dixie. The southern resentment that exists is a natural reaction to 140 years of being badmouthed and disrespected. Here in Michigan people sometimes get angry about how our state is being portrayed as an economic failure, backward and impoverished by the media. We have been hearing our state badmouthed for 10-15 years as our economy has disintigrated. IN the south they have been hearing this crap for 140 years. I understand why they get irritated.
That wasn't just northern propaganda. Read about the history of the civil rights movement. Life wasn't a bed of roses anywhere for African-Americans, but they were treated far, far worse in the South. And there are millions still alive who can remember segregation, etc. And those ARE moral issues.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:54 AM

2 posts, read 619 times
I’m from New York and I miss home a lot I have lived in Charlotte here for a couple of years and I would say there is pros and cons of the south there is a cheaper cost of living and there is more space but the problem is not the place it’s the people if your from Brooklyn or the Bronx you hate the amount of fake people here all the do is talk and about to square up or nothing but also the people here are slow like there economy they walk slow and act slow and talk slow and ONE THING FOR IS TO NEVER BRAG WHERE YOU COME FROM OK they will never accept they don’t like the north and the talk hella trash and never been there a day in there life.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:45 PM

333 posts, read 105,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsandy05 View Post
Iím from New York and I miss home a lot I have lived in Charlotte here for a couple of years and I would say there is pros and cons of the south there is a cheaper cost of living and there is more space but the problem is not the place itís the people if your from Brooklyn or the Bronx you hate the amount of fake people here all the do is talk and about to square up or nothing but also the people here are slow like there economy they walk slow and act slow and talk slow and ONE THING FOR IS TO NEVER BRAG WHERE YOU COME FROM OK they will never accept they donít like the north and the talk hella trash and never been there a day in there life.
That seems to be a common narrative of Ny'ers who move south. As someone who moved to NC as a kid from NYC it was easier for me to adjust but still noticed a big culture shock.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:05 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Quote:
Iím from New York and I miss home a lot I have lived in Charlotte here for a couple of years and I would say there is pros and cons of the south there is a cheaper cost of living and there is more space but the problem is not the place itís the people if your from Brooklyn or the Bronx you hate the amount of fake people here all the do is talk and about to square up or nothing but also the people here are slow like there economy they walk slow and act slow and talk slow and ONE THING FOR IS TO NEVER BRAG WHERE YOU COME FROM OK they will never accept they donít like the north and the talk hella trash and never been there a day in there life.

Sounds like the good old boys made an impression on you. Bless your heart.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:35 PM

425 posts, read 292,953 times
Quote:
I’m from New York and I miss home a lot I have lived in Charlotte here for a couple of years and I would say there is pros and cons of the south there is a cheaper cost of living and there is more space but the problem is not the place it’s the people if your from Brooklyn or the Bronx you hate the amount of fake people here all the do is talk and about to square up or nothing but also the people here are slow like there economy they walk slow and act slow and talk slow and ONE THING FOR IS TO NEVER BRAG WHERE YOU COME FROM OK they will never accept they don’t like the north and the talk hella trash and never been there a day in there life.
You have to assimilate. One should not move to a new location and expect everything to be the same as where they came from. I never understand transplants who hold onto where they came from so hard. If you miss where you came from so bad, then just move back.

I left the North for the South and I am very happy. I embrace southern traditions, etiquette and way of life, even though I was not originally from the South. I have never had an issue with anyone and I am very much enjoying my life in the South. I have no interest in moving back Notth and fit in well here but it’s not for everyone.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:45 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,199,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
You have to assimilate. One should not move to a new location and expect everything to be the same as where they came from. I never understand transplants who hold onto where they came from so hard. If you miss where you came from so bad, then just move back.

I left the North for the South and I am very happy. I embrace southern traditions, etiquette and way of life, even though I was not originally from the South. I have never had an issue with anyone and I am very much enjoying my life in the South. I have no interest in moving back Notth and fit in well here but it’s not for everyone.
I moved South (Texas) for work, not to be a Texan or a Southerner. There are many things I like, and at least as many that I don't, about living in the south. Ditto for up north. I was ready to move back north in a NY Minute given the right opportunities, but once kids come along you stick with what's most important.

As a transplant, I hold on where I came from because THAT IS WHO I AM. I don't understand giving up your background, culture, and history just because you move. I also have embraced much of what makes Texas and Texans what they are, and I appreciate much of it, as I think embracing other cultures makes all of us better people. It is the closed-mindedness of much of Southern and Texan culture (some, not all people) - "do it our way or get the hell out" that I don't like. In real-life I have run into this only a few times, but mainly I just hear it from people spouting on the internet. I know many wonderful people down here, and I now have extended family who are Texans. But, even they are often flummoxed by the current culture of the State and the South.

I am now counting the days for the move back North. Mainly to escape what we consider the hellish summer climate and natural disasters, and secondarily lower cost of living, closeness to family, and better variety of cities and topography. House goes on the market next month. My only regret of living down here is that I wish I could have raised my kids up North in Northern schools.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:54 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,454 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I moved South (Texas) for work, not to be a Texan or a Southerner. There are many things I like, and at least as many that I don't, about living in the south. Ditto for up north. I was ready to move back north in a NY Minute given the right opportunities, but once kids come along you stick with what's most important.

As a transplant, I hold on where I came from because THAT IS WHO I AM. I don't understand giving up your background, culture, and history just because you move. I also have embraced much of what makes Texas and Texans what they are, and I appreciate much of it, as I think embracing other cultures makes all of us better people. It is the closed-mindedness of much of Southern and Texan culture (some, not all people) - "do it our way or get the hell out" that I don't like. In real-life I have run into this only a few times, but mainly I just hear it from people spouting on the internet. I know many wonderful people down here, and I now have extended family who are Texans. But, even they are often flummoxed by the current culture of the State and the South.

I am now counting the days for the move back North. Mainly to escape what we consider the hellish summer climate and natural disasters, and secondarily lower cost of living, closeness to family, and better variety of cities and topography. House goes on the market next month. My only regret of living down here is that I wish I could have raised my kids up North in Northern schools.
Nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, the problem is with the people who think it makes them better than their new neighbors. And whether or not your reason for moving is for work or because you can no longer deal with a high COL area (seems to be the second most common reason for moving south) the fact of the matter is that it was a CHOICE you made. Having made that choice you'll do much better and be happier if you accept the local culture for what it is instead of trying to change it into the area you left, complaining the whole time how the new location is so much inferior. Not you specifically, but it happens quite often with transplants whose hearts stay with their hometowns.
There are some changes I'd like to see in the area I moved to, but rather than barging in and trash talking the area I think it works much better to become a part of the fabric of the community and try to effect those changes from within.
I think this is a problem that pretty much goes for any area too, even though many people like to talk like this primarily occurs in the south.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:20 AM

2,886 posts, read 2,004,416 times
In Miami Iím almost living in a foreign country, let alone a different region 😆
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or