U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:34 AM

794 posts, read 289,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
what is "Northern Culture"?
In the case of Florida, no sweet tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 03:25 AM

3,601 posts, read 1,195,929 times
I'm originally from Michigan, and while occasionally there are a few things I miss about it, I can't see there ever being enough to convince me to live there again.

But to answer the question:

Downwind of the Great Lakes, it's always cloudy/overcast in the winter. So places like Cleveland, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, etc. are automatically out of the question. Other than that, I'm open to moving back up north, but the job opportunity (meaning pay/organization) and city (I.E. Chicago, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, etc.) would have to be just right for me.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:03 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I moved South (Texas) for work, not to be a Texan or a Southerner. There are many things I like, and at least as many that I don't, about living in the south. Ditto for up north. I was ready to move back north in a NY Minute given the right opportunities, but once kids come along you stick with what's most important.

As a transplant, I hold on where I came from because THAT IS WHO I AM. I don't understand giving up your background, culture, and history just because you move. I also have embraced much of what makes Texas and Texans what they are, and I appreciate much of it, as I think embracing other cultures makes all of us better people. It is the closed-mindedness of much of Southern and Texan culture (some, not all people) - "do it our way or get the hell out" that I don't like. In real-life I have run into this only a few times, but mainly I just hear it from people spouting on the internet. I know many wonderful people down here, and I now have extended family who are Texans. But, even they are often flummoxed by the current culture of the State and the South.

I am now counting the days for the move back North. Mainly to escape what we consider the hellish summer climate and natural disasters, and secondarily lower cost of living, closeness to family, and better variety of cities and topography. House goes on the market next month. My only regret of living down here is that I wish I could have raised my kids up North in Northern schools.
I'm another easterner who spent most of my working career in Texas (26 years). I embraced all things Texas while I lived there. I always find it boorish of people who move to an area and then disparage it because it lacks this or that from "back home." Nevertheless, I remained at my core an easterner and always thought of myself as being in Texas but not of Texas. During all those years, I was a bit of a stranger in a strange land (in a good sense). I strongly encourage anyone who has the chance to move elsewhere to do so. There is nothing that gives a person a more cleared-eyed view of what "home" offers than to see it from a distance.

Upon retirement, armed with a pension and the freedom to move wherever we wanted, my Texas-bred DH and I eagerly returned east and set up shop in Philadelphia 8 years back. Returning to the topography, food, urbanity, climate, pace and politics of the region is all a bit like putting my most comfortable jeans back on. I hope you you enjoy your return to your roots as much as I have.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:21 PM

329 posts, read 201,972 times
Quote:
I moved South (Texas) for work, not to be a Texan or a Southerner. There are many things I like, and at least as many that I don't, about living in the south. Ditto for up north. I was ready to move back north in a NY Minute given the right opportunities, but once kids come along you stick with what's most important.

As a transplant, I hold on where I came from because THAT IS WHO I AM. I don't understand giving up your background, culture, and history just because you move. I also have embraced much of what makes Texas and Texans what they are, and I appreciate much of it, as I think embracing other cultures makes all of us better people. It is the closed-mindedness of much of Southern and Texan culture (some, not all people) - "do it our way or get the hell out" that I don't like. In real-life I have run into this only a few times, but mainly I just hear it from people spouting on the internet. I know many wonderful people down here, and I now have extended family who are Texans. But, even they are often flummoxed by the current culture of the State and the South.

I am now counting the days for the move back North. Mainly to escape what we consider the hellish summer climate and natural disasters, and secondarily lower cost of living, closeness to family, and better variety of cities and topography. House goes on the market next month. My only regret of living down here is that I wish I could have raised my kids up North in Northern schools.
Thanks for the well written post! As another northerner who spent nearly 38 years in central TX, I absolutely agree with everything above. Oh, to not have to endure another hellish summer!!I recently moved back to PA, mostly to be close to family, a lower cost of living and a whole 'nother world to explore. Winter really hasn't been as bad as many go on and on about.
Been really lovin' it!

Old 03-10-2019, 01:40 PM

329 posts, read 201,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I'm another easterner who spent most of my working career in Texas (26 years). I embraced all things Texas while I lived there. I always find it boorish of people who move to an area and then disparage it because it lacks this or that from "back home." Nevertheless, I remained at my core an easterner and always thought of myself as being in Texas but not of Texas. During all those years, I was a bit of a stranger in a strange land (in a good sense). I strongly encourage anyone who has the chance to move elsewhere to do so. There is nothing that gives a person a more cleared-eyed view of what "home" offers than to see it from a distance.

Upon retirement, armed with a pension and the freedom to move wherever we wanted, my Texas-bred DH and I eagerly returned east and set up shop in Philadelphia 8 years back. Returning to the topography, food, urbanity, climate, pace and politics of the region is all a bit like putting my most comfortable jeans back on. I hope you you enjoy your return to your roots as much as I have.
Funny you mention the stranger in a strange land as I recently told my OH those exact words as we were talking about the life we left and our recent move.

My recently retired TX born and bred other half REALLY loves it up here, A LOT, and is looking forward to lots of exploring of the whole north eastern area!! I still work part-time but have lots of time to tag a long from time to time!!
Thrilled to be north again!

Old 03-10-2019, 04:49 PM

22 posts, read 9,031 times
America is turning into a strange place. Its not just a North/South divide but divisions between the Northeast/Midwest/West. There is much to separate us today. I wonder if our institutions will be strong enough to hold the nation together?

That being said I live in the Midwest and appreciate most things here except the weather. I have visited relatives in the South and there is a lot of truth about the religious thing. I might like southern winters but I would hate having religion crammed down my throat all the time and that's what my relatives try to do to me when I visit. And they never take "Not interested" for an answer. Throw in their conservative politics and I would be a fish out of water there.

I once had a job offer in Nashville and turned it down. I guess its more diverse now but still, I just couldn't live anywhere in the South other than Miami and that's because Miami isn't really southern.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:58 PM

4,853 posts, read 2,980,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
You have to assimilate. One should not move to a new location and expect everything to be the same as where they came from. I never understand transplants who hold onto where they came from so hard. If you miss where you came from so bad, then just move back.

I left the North for the South and I am very happy. I embrace southern traditions, etiquette and way of life, even though I was not originally from the South. I have never had an issue with anyone and I am very much enjoying my life in the South. I have no interest in moving back Notth and fit in well here but itís not for everyone.
I had a friend in Texas who moved to Connecticut for school. He hung a confederate flag outside his window and he said he was never harassed. The north can be accepting.

Quote:

There's a pretty popular Texan poster here who will be the first to let you know that if you don't like it, you can leave. And that Texas can get cold too.

Texas is truly a unique place, and I do think about moving back, but I'm not sure that's right for me, well other than COL and Mexican food

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmen View Post

I once had a job offer in Nashville and turned it down. I guess its more diverse now but still, I just couldn't live anywhere in the South other than Miami and that's because Miami isn't really southern.
I was speaking to a young lady today here in Denver at my hotel bar. Her company is based in Durham. I asked her would she consider living there and she said "nope, it's still the south."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or