U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 08:54 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Really come down here and tell us that you are from the dirty south yet claim you are from MD VA or KY. you will get laughed at, I promise you..
Then I guess I'd laugh back at them for their ignorance. With Maryland, you'd be right to laugh at them. As far as Kentucky or Virginia, people from the Deep South seem to think they are the beginning and end of the true south. Virginia was the capital of the Confederacy, it has southern accents, southern culture, southern political views, southern demographics, basically the only two things making Virginia less southern than the deep south are its weather, in the winter only, and even then, those are hardly what I'd call real winters except around Northern Virginia. Northern Virginia...the D.C. suburbs suburbs in particular, are basically the only parts of Virginia which do not embrace all the southern characteristics that the rest of Virginia does. As far as Kentucky, that state may not have fought for the Confederacy, but it became more southern than ever after Confederate veterans took it over at the end of the Civil War. Again, besides winter, and the extreme northern part jutting up into the cincinnati suburbs. that's the only other characteristic Kentucky lacks for being southern. I have been to Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama, and Kentucky and Virginia remind me much more of those states than they do of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, or Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,026,385 times
Cities Such as Cincy, Louisville, St. Louis, Baltimore, Wheeling, Charleston, (WV). DC, Richmond and to an extent, Pittsburgh are classic border cities which exhibit both southern and northern characteristics. All possess large elements of a Bubba culture (especially in their suburbs and poorer areas), yet still have a bit of northern culture and entrepreneurial work ethic.

But going back to the OP, I would give the titleof Northern most southern city either to Charleston, WV or Richmond, VA.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 AM

8,483 posts, read 10,472,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
You choose to act hypocritically and defiantly, even when you're cornered. Tell me what facts you have provided, other than a line that never actually was meant to represent north and south to begin with...it's not a fact that Maryland is southern...the only basis even the U.S. Census Bureau uses for saying it's the south is a line which never actually represented the boundary between north and south when it was created.
A simple fact that some people on this forum choose to ignore. Also Maryland never joined the "Confederate States", it was a "Union State". I guess some people choose to ignore that fact to. What I find the most hilarious is that people on this forum think Baltimore is more of a Southern city than a Northern city. Baltimore has more in common with cities like Philadelphia and New York City than probably any city in the entire South.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 12-08-2011 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 12:40 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,152,030 times
Baltimore doesn't act as, or look like a southern city. However, I know people who use the mason-dixon as a strict boundary will say otherwise.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:59 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,514,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Then I guess I'd laugh back at them for their ignorance. With Maryland, you'd be right to laugh at them. As far as Kentucky or Virginia, people from the Deep South seem to think they are the beginning and end of the true south. Virginia was the capital of the Confederacy, it has southern accents, southern culture, southern political views, southern demographics, basically the only two things making Virginia less southern than the deep south are its weather, in the winter only, and even then, those are hardly what I'd call real winters except around Northern Virginia. Northern Virginia...the D.C. suburbs suburbs in particular, are basically the only parts of Virginia which do not embrace all the southern characteristics that the rest of Virginia does. As far as Kentucky, that state may not have fought for the Confederacy, but it became more southern than ever after Confederate veterans took it over at the end of the Civil War. Again, besides winter, and the extreme northern part jutting up into the cincinnati suburbs. that's the only other characteristic Kentucky lacks for being southern. I have been to Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama, and Kentucky and Virginia remind me much more of those states than they do of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, or Missouri.
People here dont really consider them southern nor are they on the radar here they are too far north. you are not from the south, so of course states like VA & KY would feel "southern" to you. if anything they are southern lite.

and yes the true southern states are nc, tn, ga, al, sc, la, fl, ar, ms.
there is nothing southern geographically about ky. ky & md is only one state away from canada. va is in the mid atlantic. no difference at all between the states of va & md they are both very similar. not saying that they don't have southern qualities but a lot of peoples definition of the "south" stops at north carolina. what is even more ridiculous is people claiming now that ohio & indiana are "southern" states. neither of them joined the confederacy (which doesnt really mean anything now same with the mason line). ohioans will tell you that they are midwestern NOT southern. let me ask you do you think Cincinnati is a southern city?

Old 12-08-2011, 01:47 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
^ I'm from the South, and I have always thought of KY as a Southern state. Everything about it is Southern; dialect, religion, and culture. I have been there several times and it feels more Southern than places around Memphis.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
People here dont really consider them southern nor are they on the radar here they are too far north. you are not from the south, so of course states like VA & KY would feel "southern" to you. if anything they are southern lite.

and yes the true southern states are nc, tn, ga, al, sc, la, fl, ar, ms.
there is nothing southern geographically about ky. ky & md is only one state away from canada. va is in the mid atlantic. no difference at all between the states of va & md they are both very similar. not saying that they don't have southern qualities but a lot of peoples definition of the "south" stops at north carolina. what is even more ridiculous is people claiming now that ohio & indiana are "southern" states. neither of them joined the confederacy (which doesnt really mean anything now same with the mason line). ohioans will tell you that they are midwestern NOT southern. let me ask you do you think Cincinnati is a southern city?
Umm...Ohioans WILL tell you that Kentucky is the south...I have family from there. Everybody from the Midwest considers Kentucky Southern. And i have family in Louisiana and South Carolina, so I think I know southern when i see it. Nobody is claiming Ohio and Indiana are southern states, but they have southern influences. There is a lot of difference between Virginia and Maryland, you're kidding right? Baltimore and Washington are very different from Richmond. Maryland is politically liberal...Virginia is ultra-conservative. Religion is another characteristic..Maryland is far more Catholic, while Virginia is heavily southern Baptist outside of NOVA. This is only one characteristic...the problem is, Virginia and Kentucky are at best central, at most southern. In no way are they geographically northern. If you think just looking at a map and guessing that latitudes are what define the south, you'd be dead wrong. Regions from a cultural standpoint pay little attention to state lines or latitudes. Natural boundaries like the Ohio River are what define them. Cincinnati is not a southern city, no...however, it does have some southern influences. 70% of Kentuckians in a recent University of North Carolina survey identified as southern. I don't get why you have such a hard time considering Kentucky or Virginia southern...Kentucky's southernmost point is 100 miles from Mississippi if that. Virginia is a short drive from South Carolina. Virginia today has little in common with Maryland. i know these states like the back of my hand...trust me, Kentucky and Virginia are the Upper South, and the northernmost southern states, along with West Virginia. NOVA, and the upper third of West Virginia are more northern, as well as the northernmost tip of Kentucky in Cincy's suburbs...the rest of these states are unmistakably southern. The South is divisible into subregions: the Upper South, Mid-South, Deep South, and Western South. Just like the Midwest is divisible into the Upper, Central, and Lower portions. And in between these regions lie transition zones stretching around 50-100 miles from north to south, depending on where you are.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Cities Such as Cincy, Louisville, St. Louis, Baltimore, Wheeling, Charleston, (WV). DC, Richmond and to an extent, Pittsburgh are classic border cities which exhibit both southern and northern characteristics. All possess large elements of a Bubba culture (especially in their suburbs and poorer areas), yet still have a bit of northern culture and entrepreneurial work ethic.

But going back to the OP, I would give the titleof Northern most southern city either to Charleston, WV or Richmond, VA.
This is just not true. St. Louis exhibits very little southern characteristics. Cincinnati to a greater extent does, but not still nearly enough to be called a border city. Wheeling is not southern at all...neither is Pittsburgh. Richmond is definitively Southern. Washington and Baltimore are basically Northeastern. Louisville is definitively Southern. It's very easy to tell which respective regions these cities go with. Pittsburgh is tough to identify as Midwestern or Northeastern, but it has NEVER exhibited any southern characteristics.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,026,385 times
I said they are classic border cities. For a yankee like myself, St. Louis, Wheeling and Cinci exhibit southern traits. Not as many as Louisville or Charleston WV

I've lived in Pittsburgh and DC long enough to know that it also has A FEW southern (albeit appalachian) characteristics.

Seems like a lot of people seem to think that being "southern" is a bad thing.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:46 PM

5,555 posts, read 6,986,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
cincinnati, while technically midwestern, has a lot of southern characteristics. its politics are more southern and it borders kentucky. of all the cities that straddle the line between north and south (st. louis, cincinnati, baltimore, etc), cincinnati definitely feels and acts the most southern.

You also hear southern twangs in the Cincinnati area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or