U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-13-2011, 04:25 AM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,228,729 times
Reputation: 998

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
I am from Maryland and I know its Southern...

Sorry if you have a problem accepting that.....
Maybe you have a problem accepting that you just have an opinion that it is. You have yet to really give anything substantiating your point of view. KodeBlue is 100% on....Maryland has little to nothing characteristic of the south from a modern standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 PM
 
Location: SW Pennsylvania
821 posts, read 1,254,441 times
Reputation: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I disagree. culturally it isn't; demographically it isn't (Especially the Baltimore area), geographically it isn't ( not when Atlantic City, NJ is due east of Baltimore). Slavery was in all states up and down the eastern seaboard, Jim Crow started in the north, segregation was in the north:

Origins of "Jim Crow" Laws

The Segregated North

I got tired of the debate a long time ago, but those are my reason why I've always disagreed.
Wow...interesting links. You never read about those things in history books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,228,729 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Wow...interesting links. You never read about those things in history books.
History books are not going to give you details about that stuff generally...they usually like to get about as between general and specific about events as possible. The North's bigotry before, during, and after the Civil Rights era all the way up to 1964 is astounding. Blacks in many free states prior to the Civil War had essentially not many more rights than enslaved and freed ones in slave states. Laws were passed often that prevented them from settling in those respective free states, and the Underground Railroad movement was supported by abolitionists, whom people often stereotyped Northerners as (the truth was far from this...most Northerners did not really see blacks as equal, nor did they see slavery or discrimination as so barbaric that they needed to deal with it immediately...they only dealt with it when it became clear it was a threat to the country being able to stay together..also, any Jim Crow discrimination that wasn't explicit in the North was implicit...reasonable amounts of lynchings were occuring in the North well into the 20th century and blacks were often attacked by whites for not staying in their place). Basically, the North is seen as good, while the South is seen as bad. The real truth is somewhere in between good and bad for both of them. By today's standards, I would probably say that the South treats African Americans better than the North...in general it seems like you don't see the kind of racial/residential segregation in the south that you see in places like Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, D.C., Chicago, or Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times
Reputation: 3590
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
History books are not going to give you details about that stuff generally...they usually like to get about as between general and specific about events as possible. The North's bigotry before, during, and after the Civil Rights era all the way up to 1964 is astounding. Blacks in many free states prior to the Civil War had essentially not many more rights than enslaved and freed ones in slave states. Laws were passed often that prevented them from settling in those respective free states, and the Underground Railroad movement was supported by abolitionists, whom people often stereotyped Northerners as (the truth was far from this...most Northerners did not really see blacks as equal, nor did they see slavery or discrimination as so barbaric that they needed to deal with it immediately...they only dealt with it when it became clear it was a threat to the country being able to stay together..also, any Jim Crow discrimination that wasn't explicit in the North was implicit...reasonable amounts of lynchings were occuring in the North well into the 20th century and blacks were often attacked by whites for not staying in their place). Basically, the North is seen as good, while the South is seen as bad. The real truth is somewhere in between good and bad for both of them. By today's standards, I would probably say that the South treats African Americans better than the North...in general it seems like you don't see the kind of racial/residential segregation in the south that you see in places like Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, D.C., Chicago, or Cleveland.
I can agree with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,806,644 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Maybe you have a problem accepting that you just have an opinion that it is.
Maryland being a Southern state is not an opinion, it is a Fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
You have yet to really give anything substantiating your point of view. KodeBlue is 100% on....Maryland has little to nothing characteristic of the south from a modern standpoint.
Spoken like a person that has Never been to the state of Maryland...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:03 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,806,644 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
History books are not going to give you details about that stuff generally...they usually like to get about as between general and specific about events as possible. The North's bigotry before, during, and after the Civil Rights era all the way up to 1964 is astounding. Blacks in many free states prior to the Civil War had essentially not many more rights than enslaved and freed ones in slave states. Laws were passed often that prevented them from settling in those respective free states, and the Underground Railroad movement was supported by abolitionists, whom people often stereotyped Northerners as (the truth was far from this...most Northerners did not really see blacks as equal, nor did they see slavery or discrimination as so barbaric that they needed to deal with it immediately...they only dealt with it when it became clear it was a threat to the country being able to stay together..also, any Jim Crow discrimination that wasn't explicit in the North was implicit...reasonable amounts of lynchings were occuring in the North well into the 20th century and blacks were often attacked by whites for not staying in their place). Basically, the North is seen as good, while the South is seen as bad. The real truth is somewhere in between good and bad for both of them. By today's standards, I would probably say that the South treats African Americans better than the North...in general it seems like you don't see the kind of racial/residential segregation in the south that you see in places like Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, D.C., Chicago, or Cleveland.
Doesn't matter how many ways you rant and spew BS...

Baltimore and DC are Southern Cities within Maryland that is a Southern State....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,806,644 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I disagree. culturally it isn't; demographically it isn't (Especially the Baltimore area), geographically it isn't ( not when Atlantic City, NJ is due east of Baltimore). Slavery was in all states up and down the eastern seaboard, Jim Crow started in the north, segregation was in the north:

Origins of "Jim Crow" Laws

The Segregated North

I got tired of the debate a long time ago, but those are my reason why I've always disagreed.
That is not enough or ever will be enough to dictate against the Fact that Maryland is in the South....

It is what it is........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times
Reputation: 3590
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Doesn't matter how many ways you rant and spew BS...

Baltimore and DC are Southern Cities within Maryland that is a Southern State....
*yawns*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,742 posts, read 6,144,011 times
Reputation: 3590
If states that were once southern are now considered northern states...are there any northern states that can be considered southern???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:30 PM
 
Location: MIA/DC
1,190 posts, read 1,893,975 times
Reputation: 687
Baltimore is the northernmost southern city. In the south but more culturally aligned with the north IMO. Maryland is a southern state, $mk8795 is right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top