U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,809,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
How is that Miami, Richmond, Norfolk, Houston, and Atlanta don't feel southern but Maryland and D.C. do? Now you are making absolutely zero sense. Atlanta and Houston are unabashedly 100% southern, as are Richmond and Norfolk. Miami to a certain degree is not due to Florida being severely diluted by people from all over the country, but overall, economically and demographically, Miami resembles the New South more than anything else. Unquestionably part of the Sunbelt. it is certainly more southern than Baltimore and Maryland. I would question whether or not you've been to these cities, because you don't seem to be that knowledgeable about even your home state.
I don't believe that you have ever traveled to the state of Maryland.......

You judge Maryland based on Negativity and Hate......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Ok, fine, it's not namecalling according to you. It's still offensive and extremely provocative. So don't pretend like you're any more civilized than me. It's a waste of time for me to even engage with you. All you are attempting to do now is stir the pot. Your latest posts have shown us just how opinionated and unsubstantiated anything you have said is. You lost this argument a long time ago, now you're just struggling to stay afloat. Have your fun with somebody else, i've got other users and better topics to post on.
All you have done is bully, intimidate, and refer to me as a Troll so basically you have lost credibility....

The way you are ranting shows that you have no respect for the state of Maryland and find it embarrassing for Maryland to be associated with the south but it is not your call to dictate against the Fact that Maryland is in the South........

And speaking of topics you are right; I should move on to bigger issues such as some of the Maryland Democrat politicians forcing efforts to stop development and business growth outside of the DC area.......

Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
How the heck anyone could put Baltimore even remotely close to the South is beyond me. Look at a map. It's nowhere remotely Southern. If you're going to put Baltimore in the South you might as well throw in Columbus Ohio, Des Moines, Iowa, and Lincoln, Nebraska in there as well.
OK, but Maryland is in the South which makes Baltimore a Southern City....

Old 12-21-2011, 11:19 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,156,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
All you have done is bully, intimidate, and refer to me as a Troll so basically you have lost credibility....

The way you are ranting shows that you have no respect for the state of Maryland and find it embarrassing for Maryland to be associated with the south but it is not your call to dictate against the Fact that Maryland is in the South........

And speaking of topics you are right; I should move on to bigger issues such as some of the Maryland Democrat politicians forcing efforts to stop development and business growth outside of the DC area.......
Are they forgetting that Baltimore is Maryland too??? Why are they doing that?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
What is the BIG DEAL about being in the South? You sure this isn't about the SEC fanatics?
Whats the Big Deal of claiming Texas being in the South when in reality Texas is part of the Great Southwest.......

Old 12-21-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Well the reason many people say Miami doesn't feel "southern" is because the city was founded 31 years after the Civil War by a widow from Cleveland & the railroad tycoon Henry Flagler who was one of the founders of Standard Oil & was from Hyde Park, NY.
Miami since it's founding was basically a city of Bahamian laborers & the wealthy elites from the NYC area where Flagler came from and vacationed in Miami & Miami Beach. It really was a Yankee / Northern city in demographics until WW2 when the military stationed thousands of troops in Miami Beach and many soldiers who were "southern" returned after the War to live.
The New York Times in the 1930s proclaimed Miami as the "6th. borough" once due to the amount of New Yorkers residing in the area!
Miamians do not consider themselves "Southerners" per se.
That is a very good story about Miami.

However Miami is part of the US and that makes Miami a Southern City.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Would you like to clarify your statement? What about Miami made you think it was a "Southern" city? Culturally Miami is not a "Southern" city unless you are referring to the African American population that resides in it.
I don't know what his angle is but anyway Miami has more of a Caribbean atmosphere than a typical southern atmosphere.....

Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,232,269 times
Quote:

I haven't referred to you as a troll in ages. As far as bully and intimidation, all I've done is disagree with you for the most part. I don't find it embarrassing for Maryland to be associated with the south...it's NOT the south. Period. And as far as it being a fact that Maryland is the south, it's not a fact. And I'm not making the call. Demographic, culture, and speech patterns are making that call for me.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I haven't referred to you as a troll in ages.
At least you admit it....

Quote:
As far as bully and intimidation, all I've done is disagree with you for the most part.
Disagreeing by referring to me as a Troll and viewing Marylanders as ignorant for stating the Fact that Maryland is in the south....

Quote:
I don't find it embarrassing for Maryland to be associated with the south...it's NOT the south. Period. And as far as it being a fact that Maryland is the south, it's not a fact. And I'm not making the call. Demographic, culture, and speech patterns are making that call for me.
So are admitting that you find it embarrassing and insulting for Maryland to be associated with the South because the reality is that Maryland is a Southern State....

Old 12-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,232,269 times
Quote:
I don't believe that you have ever traveled to the state of Maryland.......

You judge Maryland based on Negativity and Hate......
Like you would know. I've been to Cumberland, Hagarstown, Baltimore, and Washington. I've driven the entire I-68 corridor and I-70 corridors. I have been to Maryland 15 times and stayed there each time for at two weeks. My uncle has been a prominent resident of Bethesda, Maryland for almost 40 years now. I've also been to Annapolis 5 times. I know this state pretty well. And my judgement on it is not based on it...I wouldn't call judging a state on the basis of demographics, dialect maps, and culture...as hatred-based. This has become senseless, circular, and repetitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or