U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 09:41 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,164,820 times

Advertisements

If Baltimore is southern, then we can say that the bordering PA counties are too. Since they're under Baltimore realm of influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,748,924 times
As a native northerner I find it disturbing that people can think any part of Pennsylvania is southern...

The parts of the "south" that border PA are hardly southern themselves.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:51 AM

734 posts, read 855,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
If Baltimore is southern, then we can say that the bordering PA counties are too. Since they're under Baltimore realm of influence.
oh yeah, in fact the southernness of those Georgia swamps and Carolina palmettos can be felt all the way into Nunavut

Old 01-05-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
oh yeah, in fact the southernness of those Georgia swamps and Carolina palmettos can be felt all the way into Nunavut
People are saying southern influence stop at the mason Dixon line, but northern influence dips well below it....I'm just saying.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:13 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
Quote:
People are saying southern influence stop at the mason Dixon line, but northern influence dips well below it....I'm just saying.

Agree, IMHO southern influence sets in south of NOVA in any dramatic fashion. The Mason Dixon line was drawn t preserve a natural ocean path for the port of Phildelphia

Also, which PA counties hav Baltimore influence? Lancaster? Maybe a bit but still more folks from Lancaster commute into the Philly MSA compared to Baltimore. Not sure either really truly influences that area. Also Cecil County MD which has areas within 20 or miles of Baltimore is in the Philly MSA and not Baltimore.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:06 PM

142 posts, read 309,405 times
I've never really paid that much attention to South Central PA but I think York and Gettysburg and that area are more Baltimore-influenced areas. I think that whole region though, including Lancaster, has its own unique culture. While rural, it has a lot of Amish influence I think, and is distinct from the South for the most part. Though I also think that as you travel west along the PA side (or the MD side, for that matter) of the Mason-Dixon line it gets more southern.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree, IMHO southern influence sets in south of NOVA in any dramatic fashion. The Mason Dixon line was drawn t preserve a natural ocean path for the port of Phildelphia

Also, which PA counties hav Baltimore influence? Lancaster? Maybe a bit but still more folks from Lancaster commute into the Philly MSA compared to Baltimore. Not sure either really truly influences that area. Also Cecil County MD which has areas within 20 or miles of Baltimore is in the Philly MSA and not Baltimore.
York and portion of Lancaster. You would be surprised how many people in the Baltimore area live in PA. I think Baltimore would influence those areas well before they influence Baltimore.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:47 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,116,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
The northern most southern major city is Baltimore....
Baltimore? LOL

why stop there? Why not Halifax, Nova Scotia? It is about as southern as Baltimore.

Really, though, only a yankee would think Baltimore was southern.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:56 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
Quote:
York and portion of Lancaster. You would be surprised how many people in the Baltimore area live in PA. I think Baltimore would influence those areas well before they influence Baltimore.
Actually I do believe it, I was just looking at commuter rates yesterday from these counties for another thread. Yes people do commute into Baltimore, just far more do into the Philly MSA, actually the difference is pretty dramatic for Lancaster especially. York is smaller and the commuter numbers were closer, though still more coming into the Philly MSA - though to me I dont see either being heavially influenced by either Baltimore or Philly. This area is kind of its own place

Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,719,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
LOL, i'm loving this just as much as you, and i'm not old or dirty This woman is Elizabeth Banks, and yes, she is fiiine. SHe is from Pittsfield, Massachusetts, so yeah, this proves an EXCELLENT point. Ears can often play tricks on us...just because somebody sounds southern doesn't mean you're actually hearing a southern accent, or that they are from the south. She was in "40 Year Old Virgin" and "Role Models." She's a famous actress. Here's an article about her.

Elizabeth Banks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or