U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-07-2012, 11:16 AM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,804,852 times
Reputation: 357

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcaribbean View Post
Realistically, it is Richmond.
Realistically it is Baltimore and will go as far as saying Wilmington, Del due to its slight similarity to Southeast Virginia....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,735 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
The shape of Maryland doesn't appear to be a southern state, southerns states are huge (geographically). Maryland is the smallest in the south. Maryland avg. income is the highest in the nation (2nd, NJ & 3rd, CT). Baltimore is considered northern but southerner's, yet northerners consider it the south. I'm not sure how Philadelphia residents feel about it because Baltimore is very similar to it, it's just half it's size. Also Maryland has a county of the Philly MSA. Maryland does have parts that heavily resemble the south, & even the Midwest but the MAJORITY of Maryland looks & functions as if it's the northeast. Our education facilities are more southern in my opinion with the exception of Johns Hopkins (which could pass as a Ivy League).



Question to Northerns: what qualifies a city and/or state to be Northern? (to be answered by every northerner not just new yorkers)

Because I truly don't see what Baltimore is missing besides the accent (which is mixed with the south & north), & a huge amount of puerto ricans.
Even the accent in MD isn't southern. If it is, you can say Philly, York and Lancaster counties, and south jersey (joe Flacco is from south jersey, but he has a classic Baltimore accent) have southern accents too. I was on a flight back from Florida and the could've sworn the guy was sitting next to me was from Essex or Dundalk, but when I asked him when the Ravens game come on, he said he didn't know because he's from Philly. He had a very heavy Baltimore accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Philly suburbs or Jersey Shore or Philadelphia
142 posts, read 308,563 times
Reputation: 119
^Accents from parts of South Jersey sound Southern to some people from North Jersey. A friend of mine from has been asked by some of her classmates at Rutgers if she's from the South. She responds "South Jersey..." And she's not even from the most Southern-sounding part of South Jersey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Realistically it is Baltimore and will go as far as saying Wilmington, Del due to its slight similarity to Southeast Virginia....
I never really thought of Delaware, especially Wilmington, as Southern in any way really until I found out that they had Jim Crow laws. That's the only reason/context in which I'd ever consider Delaware to be Southern, though I for the most part don't think of it as Southern.

(btw I'm not saying that the North wasn't racist/segregated or whatever, I'm just saying the South had its own distinct style of institutional racism. So don't get on my ass about that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Reputation: 14655
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Pennsylvania:
Mostly mountainous/hilly with deep carved gorges and valleys.
Has a small great lake plain.
Two major population centers at either end of the state with mostly rural land between them.
Allegheny and Susquehanna rivers.
In the Northeast.
Northern Tier region of the Twin tiers.
Whaaa? No way! Everybody knows that western Pennsylvania is in the Midwest while central Pennsylvania is in the South!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 PM
 
7 posts, read 7,008 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I even gave you the Massachusetts comparison, but you still don't want to be reasonable. There is a major difference between NY/New Jersey/Philly and most other areas. The closest thing might be the Rust Belt cities.

NOT Baltimore or DC. Baltimore and DC are low-rise and very residential, and the accents have some peculiar features like "ay-oh" for o, and "ah" for I, in Baltimore's case.

There is just a difference in attitude, too. There is diversity of opinion and attitude in the north, but it switches to a high level of conformity once you reach Maryland and DC.
LOL you can go ahead and tell yourself md is southern don't be surprised if people laugh at you. And people from MD DC Baltimore do NOT sound southern not even in the slightest. I go to the northeast every year and I have been to md plenty of times it is NOT southern. MD natives will tell you that they are not southern. Baltimore and DC have more in common with Philly Boston and NYC then it does with Atlanta Charlotte New Orleans Memphis. Maryland is JUST like rude new jersey and new york. I am from Georgia and I did not feel at home in MD or VA. naturally these states have more in common with pa ny and new england. Same weather same politics same accents same culture(fast paced and rude) same identity.

DC is just like NYC DC suburbs remind me heavily of long island and westchester county ny
Baltimore is just like Philly and Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 07:52 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Reputation: 14655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolattie View Post
Maryland is JUST like rude new jersey and new york.
That's because of all the Ravens fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 PM
 
1,495 posts, read 1,946,408 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolattie View Post
LOL you can go ahead and tell yourself md is southern don't be surprised if people laugh at you. And people from MD DC Baltimore do NOT sound southern not even in the slightest. I go to the northeast every year and I have been to md plenty of times it is NOT southern. MD natives will tell you that they are not southern. Baltimore and DC have more in common with Philly Boston and NYC then it does with Atlanta Charlotte New Orleans Memphis. Maryland is JUST like rude new jersey and new york. I am from Georgia and I did not feel at home in MD or VA. naturally these states have more in common with pa ny and new england. Same weather same politics same accents same culture(fast paced and rude) same identity.

DC is just like NYC DC suburbs remind me heavily of long island and westchester county ny
Baltimore is just like Philly and Boston
The whole "rude" rant is a great way to guarantee that I won't take your comments seriously. It has been my experience that such rants say more about the complainer than the complainee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 08:06 PM
 
7 posts, read 7,008 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
DC and Baltimore does not have an large Puerto Rican, Dominican and Italian population like Philly, NYC Boston and other northeastern cities. The Baltimore accent has an southern influence to it along with its northeastern influences. DC natives, in particular the native white population, does not really have a noticeable accent. Overall I wouldn't say that DC and Baltimore area are definitely southern but I wouldn't say it is definitely northern or northeastern either. Now from an urban layout DC and Baltimore definitely have more similarities with the northeast than the south. Baltimore is also definitely more "northern" than DC in terms of culture. Virginia is 100% southern by the way. But to answer the question, Baltimore is the Northernmost southern city because it is technically in the south (along with DC).
Your points really mean nothing. No VA is not 100% southern. Richmond could be passed off as southern but the area around DC is not southern. Richmond looks like Baltimore. I think VA as a state is too up north and should be put in the mid atlantic. Puerto Rican Italians populations really mean nothing. People up there love their bagels and pizza and that is northeastern. Had roommates in college who were from VA and they sounded like Brooklyn kids and called us "country".

And no MD is not technically in the south. The south starts going east from north carolina tenneesee and arkansas. The "mason dixon line" is very outdated and means nothing and never was meant to be a boundary between north and south. Historically MD could have been "southern" but today MD is NOT southern. VA is losing it's southern card as well if it even ever had one. VA beach reminds me of Ocean City and look like an east coast beachtown. I think if anything the mason dixon line should start around richmond, but for me I can safely say that I am in the south when I see the NC welcome sign when I drive down i-95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 08:13 PM
 
Location: SW Pennsylvania
821 posts, read 1,253,307 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBpa View Post

(btw I'm not saying that the North wasn't racist/segregated or whatever, I'm just saying the South had its own distinct style of institutional racism. So don't get on my ass about that.)
I saw these provided by KodeBlue. It shocked me as well.
Origins of "Jim Crow" Laws

The Segregated North
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,735 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolattie View Post
Your points really mean nothing. No VA is not 100% southern. Richmond could be passed off as southern but the area around DC is not southern. Richmond looks like Baltimore. I think VA as a state is too up north and should be put in the mid atlantic. Puerto Rican Italians populations really mean nothing. People up there love their bagels and pizza and that is northeastern. Had roommates in college who were from VA and they sounded like Brooklyn kids and called us "country".

And no MD is not technically in the south. The south starts going east from north carolina tenneesee and arkansas. The "mason dixon line" is very outdated and means nothing and never was meant to be a boundary between north and south. Historically MD could have been "southern" but today MD is NOT southern. VA is losing it's southern card as well if it even ever had one. VA beach reminds me of Ocean City and look like an east coast beachtown. I think if anything the mason dixon line should start around richmond, but for me I can safely say that I am in the south when I see the NC welcome sign when I drive down i-95.
I think Richmond looks more like DC than it does Baltimore. Their style of housing look similar. There are distinct differences between Baltimore and DC's style of rowhouses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top