U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:55 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,823,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
My s/o, who's from Georgia didn't consider NC southern until I took her to Raleigh for my family reunion. She changed her tune after that.
Boy, thank you for saying this! I have grown tired of this "Raleigh doesn't feel Southern" line that gets reinstated by people on this board. What Raleigh are they talking about?

Raleigh feels like any other good-sized city with transplants. In that sense, Raleigh doesn't feel as southern as Concord, or Rocky Mount. But you can never mistake Raleigh as being not Southern...

People have actually gone so far as to say they don't hear Southern accents in Raleigh. In which case, that could only be possible if you are exclusively around transplants. I'm in Raleigh fairly often, and MOST people have a Southern accent. Is it always a Mayberry-drawl? No,--but there are Southern accent variations that don't sound like Andy Griffith!

This is to say nothing about ALL the other Southern characteristics found in Raleigh. This didn't use to bother me, and then people kept saying it, and I was like, I was in Raleigh 2 weeks ago, and a month before that, etc. Obviously, transplants have had an effect on Raleigh culture, but Jesus is it overstated on here. Charlotte too, I used to live there and last visited around early August I believe...

That crowd says Raleigh is less southern than Richmond, but the main two things they point to is how Rich has fewer transplants and was the capital of the Confederacy and all our subsequent monuments. But I grew up here and since the first time I lived in Memphis when I was 13, I've been made aware of my less southern characteristics everywhere I've lived in the South. To this day, I know scores of people, natives and transplants both, from Raleigh and Richmond, and have yet to ever hear someone call Richmond more Southern than Raleigh off this website...ever...

Excuse my ***** session lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 01:36 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Raleigh is souther through and through.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:46 PM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Culturally Baltimore is more Southern than DC, mostly because Baltimore lacks northern transplants unlike DC.....
I used to live in Baltimore County and I totally agree. The DC area is a lot more northern than Baltimore , and its culture has been transformed by Northeast transplants and illegal immigrants to a far greater point than even Charlotte. I consider Washington DC, Charlotte, and Miami-Ft. Lauderdale the least culturally Southern cities south of the Mason Dixon Line.

Some traditional restaurants in Baltimore have always served sweet tea, and the cuisine is more native than the native cuisine of the DC area, such as Maryland crabcakes. You also have crabcakes in Virginia and NC, but not anywhere north of Maryland. The "hon" term that is part of the sterotypical Baltimore dialect is more southern than northern. You hear things like sir, ma'am, y'all more in the Baltimore area than the DC area. And the Baltimore area still feels somewhat slower paced, friendlier and more neighborly (aside from the inner city ghetto and the most yuppie or transplanted areas) compared to the DC region. The DC area is far more unfriendly and rude, which are northern characteristics. Even in northern rural areas in Pennsylvania and Ohio, people are not as friendly as Southerners.

Also, the Baltimore suburbs are significantly more conservative than the DC suburbs. Donald Trump has a level of support in Baltimore County, Harford and Carroll to an extent you will not find anywhere near DC. Most people there also oppose illegal immigration and gay marriage. Its mainly in the north where you have suburbs not just inner cities that are as liberal as Montgomery County, Fairfax County, etc. When i lived in Baltimore County people still said Merry Christmas all the time, while when I visit the DC area half the people say happy holidays. I do consider conservative politics, Republican voting patterns, and Christianity to be integral parts of Southern culture, though these things can also be found outside the South. Kind of like how being Catholic is an integral part of being Italian, but isn't exclusive to Italy.

Maryland as a whole used to be far more southern than today due to the influx of transplants and illegal immigrants. Northern Virginia really feels like a cross between New Jersey, Long Island, and a foreign country. Charlotte is moving in that direction, especially as northern transplants bring their liberal voting patterns (which also brings in illegal immigrants) and rude attitudes with them.

Off the East Coast, I would say Charleston WV, Huntington WV, Ashland KY, and Louisville are the northernmost Southern cities. Not all of West Virginia is culturally Southern, but parts of it are. Charleston and Huntington have more Southern characteristics than Charlotte these days.

Northern Kentucky is a lighter version of Northern Virginia in that its the Cincinnati suburbs and Cincinnati is not southern. I don't know if Dallas counts as a Southern city. Fort Worth, Amarillo, and Abilene certainly feel more Western than Southern. I am even more hesitant to call San Antonio or El Paso the South. The only part of Texas I would say is unquestionably southern is East Texas.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:18 PM

29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Surely there are cities more Southern than Charlotte, but grouping it with DC and Miami as the least Southern cities south of the Mason-Dixon????? Nah, not seeing that at all. Charlotte is easily more Southern than Baltimore, Orlando, and Tampa at the least.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:12 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,823,898 times
That's a very unique and interesting take. I'd have to disagree about Charlotte as well...

Politically, I remember in 2015 when the transgender bathroom issue first surfaced, there was a substantial opposition in Charlotte, that the Charlotte Observer often detailed, although Charlotte initiated the bathroom freedom bill in the first place. Moreover, opposition was heard in daily conversations with diverse segments of the population. It's impossible for general feelings in Charlotte to have swung so starkly within just a year. I went to Charlotte twice this summer. My general feeling is people who were against it are still fundamentally against it, but are disappointed with the pushback of civil rights groups and loss of events targeting Charlotte as a result of its being associated with HB2, by virtue of being in North Carolina...

Also, there is no way around the political conservatism of surrounding Metro Charlotte, including the out reaches of Mecklenburg County itself. Metro Charlotte is not even close to being politically left as Metro Washington or South Florida....

Other integral elements of Southern culture that are highly visible in Charlotte: the manners thing that you speak of, certainly. Let's also not forget that by many accounts Charlotte is the most religious city in the nation, by and large fueled by Southern Baptist and Southern Protestantism. Sure, other religions are practiced and visible in Charlotte--it is a fairly large and diverse city, after all, so that isn't unique. But on scale, the religious diversity isn't as prevalent as found in many, many cities, and the fact that such a vast majority of the population is religious anyway (numbers have varied from 52%-80%, guess it depends on the source), is a distinctly Southern affiliation...

What about Nascar? I have never been anywhere where racing is as popular as it is in Charlotte. And the range of popularity in that sport can't be undermined (I was pleasantly surprised at the popularity of Nascar in Upstate New York), but Charlotte is so deeply ingrained with Nascar and stock car racing, obviously, that should count as something that is "integral to the South", even as it exists beyond...

There are many other things about Charlotte that are visibly Southern as well. I think it's safe to say that Charlotte is firmly Southern in culture...

I will say that the prominence of Charlotte's banking industry has brought all kinds of transplants to the city. The impact of those different personalities is certainly felt, though I'd say more anecdotally than physically. I love Charlotte, it is certainly rising into the vein of being a large city, is already multicultural--but it is a multicultural Southern City. Nobody in Charlotte wants that to change...

Old 09-17-2016, 08:37 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,197,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I can't imagine urban NC remotely resembling anything that happened on Andy Griffith 50 years ago. It's tripled in size and is so deep in banking.
About a mile from where I sit here in Raleigh, there is a statue of Andy and Opie. It keeps us grounded. And Andy's early accent on the show was very exaggerated. Later he toned it down. I don't think many people here talked like that, even then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or