U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,939 posts, read 3,985,020 times
Reputation: 1249

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Who cares?

LOL, exactly...........Stupid thread............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2011, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,177,183 times
Reputation: 7598
I agree with him ^^ for a change. Who really cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2011, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,104 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by northhead View Post
i noticed dat u try and force ur opinions on others i live in st louis and i think it is southern dats MY opnion
Well, your opinion is not based on any conclusive facts from what I can tell. Basically, after the Civil War, there was little one could do to call St. Louis, and even most of Missouri, part of the south. Where do I start...the Great Migration, industry, religious demographics, architecture, its culture....all of it is pretty much the same as the Midwest. Provided, it did have Jim Crow, but all that was ever legally enforced throughout the was education, and Indianapolis adopted the same laws in 1920...prior to that, segregated schooling was the law unless it couldn't be provided. Kansas had similar law to this. Racial intermarriage was also banned, but many, many states across the country had this law. Prior to the Civil War, I'm not even sure I would've called St. Louis southern in every sense of the word, especially starting in the 1840s...it had a large amount of wealthy black citizens, as hard as that is to believe. It had both pro-Northern and pro-Southern newspapers, and a strong antislavery element that eventually overwhelmed the pro-slavery one. Not to mention, it voted for LINCOLN in the 1861 election...and Missouri voted for Douglas...the only other state to do so was New Jersey. Industrially its trade was equally linked to North and South. After the Civil War, the Southern elements diminished to influences. Same thing with Baltimore and Washington, although to a lesser degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2011, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,104 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Wearing gold teeth and talking with a twang does not make a city "Southern". Oakland has those characteristics, largely due to a black culture with Southern roots, but that in no way makes it a Southern city.
There are few African-American populations I can think of in this country that don't use the African-American vernacular dialect....it sounds different in certain areas in different parts of the country, but it is still quite easy to pick out, and still sounds very similar to the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2011, 04:47 PM
 
Location: OH
364 posts, read 572,325 times
Reputation: 475
Cincinnati . And yes, I've been to the south many, many, many times; I have many relatives in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2011, 06:59 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
Cincinnati . And yes, I've been to the south many, many, many times; I have many relatives in the south.
Nah, when you cross over into Cincinnati, you can tell you're in the North. Everything looks and feels different. It's the Southernmost Northern city, not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM
 
Location: OH
364 posts, read 572,325 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Nah, when you cross over into Cincinnati, you can tell you're in the North. Everything looks and feels different. It's the Southernmost Northern city, not the other way around.
Yeah, I understand that. Visually, it's a drastic change as soon as you cross the bridge; everything is suddenly very gritty and industrial. From the outside looking in, you would think Cincinnati would be a lot more east coast culturally, considering the urban layout of the city. However, after living here for close to four years as a transplant from the east coast (Maryland), I can say that Cincinnati is culturally a lot more southern than it is midwestern or northern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2011, 09:52 PM
 
2,331 posts, read 3,807,501 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Well, your opinion is not based on any conclusive facts from what I can tell. Basically, after the Civil War, there was little one could do to call St. Louis, and even most of Missouri, part of the south. Where do I start...the Great Migration, industry, religious demographics, architecture, its culture....all of it is pretty much the same as the Midwest. Provided, it did have Jim Crow, but all that was ever legally enforced throughout the was education, and Indianapolis adopted the same laws in 1920...prior to that, segregated schooling was the law unless it couldn't be provided. Kansas had similar law to this. Racial intermarriage was also banned, but many, many states across the country had this law. Prior to the Civil War, I'm not even sure I would've called St. Louis southern in every sense of the word, especially starting in the 1840s...it had a large amount of wealthy black citizens, as hard as that is to believe. It had both pro-Northern and pro-Southern newspapers, and a strong antislavery element that eventually overwhelmed the pro-slavery one. Not to mention, it voted for LINCOLN in the 1861 election...and Missouri voted for Douglas...the only other state to do so was New Jersey. Industrially its trade was equally linked to North and South. After the Civil War, the Southern elements diminished to influences. Same thing with Baltimore and Washington, although to a lesser degree.
Either way Baltimore and Washington are both Southern Cities as well as Maryland being a Southern State........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,746 posts, read 6,149,250 times
Reputation: 3598
Baltimore is the northern most southern city..... close thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2011, 02:19 AM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,104 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Either way Baltimore and Washington are both Southern Cities as well as Maryland being a Southern State........
Some trollers just don't give up....ok I agree with your statement, but only if by southern you mean southernmost of northern...get some facts besides that misplaced Mason-Dixon line to back your standing from a modern perspective. And I agree..moderator, close this thread please. It's a bomb waiting to go off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top