U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 03:17 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Yes, because this is not a pattern you see in Midwestern and northeastern cities. And Southern culture is still by and large intact in every southern state except Florida. As far as Westerners being Yankees, that's a new one to me. The trend is definitely Northerners moving south though, not southerners moving north. it was the opposite of this in the early 20th century. So there have been cultural exchanges across all of the U.S., but each region has respectfully retained its own identity. And Raleigh was still very much a part of the south when I was there a year ago. The influences brought in by outsiders generally aren't enough to stick unless it's a mass migration as was the case with Florida. Generally the outsiders either end up in a minority in terms of their way of doing things or they conform.
Living in both NC and FL, plus having come from the West Coast originally, I can vouch for a couple of things. I was in fact called a "Yankee" when my family moved to Raleigh in 1974. While this is changing and the city has become MUCH more diverse, old school southerners still see it that way. I can also vouch for the fact that much of Florida is more culturally Southern than Raleigh or other fast growing metros like Atlanta and Charlotte. Southeast Florida is the exception in Florida in much the same way that NOVA is an exception in Virginia. In SE Florida, the influence was initially the NE and more lately Latin America. In some ways, the developed parts of central Florida feels culturally similar to NC. Northern Florida and more rural parts of central Florida feel decidedly deep South. As a whole, the southern culture is intact in much of Florida. However, one needs to realize that southern culture is not uniform and is influenced by urban vs rural forces, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 04:02 PM

14,962 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Quote:
Yes, because this is not a pattern you see in Midwestern and northeastern cities. And Southern culture is still by and large intact in every southern state except Florida. As far as Westerners being Yankees, that's a new one to me. The trend is definitely Northerners moving south though, not southerners moving north. it was the opposite of this in the early 20th century. So there have been cultural exchanges across all of the U.S., but each region has respectfully retained its own identity. And Raleigh was still very much a part of the south when I was there a year ago. The influences brought in by outsiders generally aren't enough to stick unless it's a mass migration as was the case with Florida. Generally the outsiders either end up in a minority in terms of their way of doing things or they conform.
Southern culture is still very much intact in Florida.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:32 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,805,544 times
Quote:
Some trollers just don't give up....ok I agree with your statement, but only if by southern you mean southernmost of northern...get some facts besides that misplaced Mason-Dixon line to back your standing from a modern perspective. And I agree..moderator, close this thread please. It's a bomb waiting to go off.
How are you going to call someone a troll when you are repeating the same FALSE Opinionated statements due to personal hatred towards Baltimore/Maryland.......

Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Cary, NC is the Containment Area of Relocated Yankees. This large Raleigh suburb is filled to the brim with relocated Northerners, Westerners and Midwesterners: all of which are lumped together as "Yankees" to many Southerners. Adjacent Morrisville is 40%+ Asian with a huge Indian community. In fast growing cities and metros, does distinguishing between northern and southern really practically apply anymore? More and more (geographically) southern cities are becoming more culturally blended as time marches on.
So Cary is the new Miami.......

Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Since the end of the Civil War, Baltimore and Washington have had over twice as many similarities to Philadelphia than to Richmond. There is no magical cultural switch until you're south of D.C. Louisville, Lexington, Richmond, and perhaps Charleston, WV are the northernmost southern cities...they are the last cities going north which mirror the south in every respect.
Sorry dude but DC, Baltimore, and Annapolis are Southern Cities......

Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Sorry dude but DC, Baltimore, and Annapolis are Southern Cities......
All you have done is claim them as part of the south and given no factual basis for your opinions. And you call me a troll? You're an opportunist...you just stick b/s in wherever you can find it. I have far more facts backing up my view than you do your's. Demographics, industry, dialect, and culture all contradict your claims. Whereas you just say what you feel and don't bother to check whether or not how well your views stand up with respect to being true. Your posts wreak of hypocrisy and ignorance. And I have no personal hatred towards Maryland...I love that state. What I do hate is people like you attempting to distort the truth.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Southern culture is still very much intact in Florida.
In Northern Florida it is. Southern Florida is an animal all its own.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 AM

732 posts, read 853,160 times
stlouisan is fascinating, if we are good boys and gals he will write us a thesis on the coke-soda-pop drinkers of McCracker county

Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
So Cary is the new Miami.......
That's an interesting way to put it. However, the second wave isn't Latin American but rather South Asian.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
stlouisan is fascinating, if we are good boys and gals he will write us a thesis on the coke-soda-pop drinkers of McCracker county
May I ask what your problem is? As far the coke-soda-pop thing, I really don't pay attention to that stuff. And i usually don't go on a per county basis either...I look at demographics, culture, cuisine, dialect, and a bunch of other factors to see where regional boundaries roughly lie. Most of the time, all or most of these things are indicative of where cultural boundaries begin and end. If you find this laughable, maybe you shouldn't even be posting in this topic, not to mention poking fun at other users. I take the same approach that any reasonable, educated would in forming my opinions, which are largely fact-based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or