Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,289,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
IMO the Northernmost southern city is Richmond, VA and the Southernmost Northern city is Washington DC.
Makes sense from an east coast standpoint (though I'd describe DC as more neutral/internationally focused, almost not regional at all). But keep in mind that the larger cities of WV and KY are all a bit north of Richmond. Also, St. Louis is probably "northern", and it's very slightly south of DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,169,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolattie View Post
I don't think Maryland belongs in the south. No way. How is Baltimore and DC any different from Philly NYC Boston etc. They are in the same region the Northeast corridor and have the same accents and culture. I just want to hear why you think DC and Baltimore are so southern. lol

The south starts in north carolina to me. Virginia and West virginia all belong to the mid atlantic same with maryland penn, new york and new jersey.
DC and Baltimore does not have an large Puerto Rican, Dominican and Italian population like Philly, NYC Boston and other northeastern cities. The Baltimore accent has an southern influence to it along with its northeastern influences. DC natives, in particular the native white population, does not really have a noticeable accent. Overall I wouldn't say that DC and Baltimore area are definitely southern but I wouldn't say it is definitely northern or northeastern either. Now from an urban layout DC and Baltimore definitely have more similarities with the northeast than the south. Baltimore is also definitely more "northern" than DC in terms of culture. Virginia is 100% southern by the way. But to answer the question, Baltimore is the Northernmost southern city because it is technically in the south (along with DC).

Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
Quote:
IMO the Northernmost southern city is Richmond, VA and the Southernmost Northern city is Washington DC.
I think you're only focusing on the East Coast.

As far as major cities. The Northernmost Southern city is Louisville. The Southernmost Northern city is St. Louis. Of course, both cities are debatable by some, but I think the majority will agree that Louisville is Southern and St. Louis is Northern (or simply not Southern)

Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 PM

43 posts, read 113,551 times
Realistically, it is Richmond.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,919,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I think you're only focusing on the East Coast.

As far as major cities. The Northernmost Southern city is Louisville. The Southernmost Northern city is St. Louis. Of course, both cities are debatable by some, but I think the majority will agree that Louisville is Southern and St. Louis is Northern (or simply not Southern)
I didn't know we were including the Midwest also.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:02 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
Quote:
I didn't know we were including the Midwest also.
Well since we're talking about the Northernmost Southern city, then of course the Midwest should be included in this discussion. The vast majority of the South lies below the Midwest, not the Northeast, not the Mid-Atlantic. The North/South divide goes beyond the East Coast...

Old 01-07-2012, 02:36 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,406,237 times
The shape of Maryland doesn't appear to be a southern state, southerns states are huge (geographically). Maryland is the smallest in the south. Maryland avg. income is the highest in the nation (2nd, NJ & 3rd, CT). Baltimore is considered northern but southerner's, yet northerners consider it the south. I'm not sure how Philadelphia residents feel about it because Baltimore is very similar to it, it's just half it's size. Also Maryland has a county of the Philly MSA. Maryland does have parts that heavily resemble the south, & even the Midwest but the MAJORITY of Maryland looks & functions as if it's the northeast. Our education facilities are more southern in my opinion with the exception of Johns Hopkins (which could pass as a Ivy League).

Question to Northerns: what qualifies a city and/or state to be Northern? (to be answered by every northerner not just new yorkers)

Because I truly don't see what Baltimore is missing besides the accent (which is mixed with the south & north), & a huge amount of puerto ricans.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:54 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,806,589 times
Richmond.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:12 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,382,780 times
Quote:
Actually the Northern Most Major Southern city is Baltimore and Philly/Harrisburg/Pittsburgh is the Southern most Northern City......

Old 01-07-2012, 12:13 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,844,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
DC and Baltimore does not have an large Puerto Rican, Dominican and Italian population like Philly, NYC Boston and other northeastern cities. The Baltimore accent has an southern influence to it along with its northeastern influences. DC natives, in particular the native white population, does not really have a noticeable accent. Overall I wouldn't say that DC and Baltimore area are definitely southern but I wouldn't say it is definitely northern or northeastern either. Now from an urban layout DC and Baltimore definitely have more similarities with the northeast than the south. Baltimore is also definitely more "northern" than DC in terms of culture. Virginia is 100% southern by the way. But to answer the question, Baltimore is the Northernmost southern city because it is technically in the south (along with DC).
What's your obsession with Puerto Ricans. That's like the hundreth time you said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.