Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 07:17 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
So I'm wrong, eh?
Explain to me what Nixon's Southern Stratergy was back in the late 1960's and why the Republicans have embraced it almost all the time since then?
I can't say I've heard of a Western Stratergy or even a Midwestern Stratergy.
You are referring to something that happened in the 1960's, nearly 50 years ago, and are applying it to 2010. Implying the South is embracing something that happened in the 1960's is an assumption. Let's pretend for a moment that because the South is largely Republican that it is racist.

Does the map above mean the red areas are racist? Of course not, why would you apply that to the South nearly 50 years later? This entire country has a less than stellar track record on race relations (31 states held slaves, and black people were treated as less than human throughout this country in the past). Past being the key word.

Stop being so judgemental. Have you even been to the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:28 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
You are referring to something that happened in the 1960's, nearly 50 years ago, and are applying it to 2010. Implying the South is embracing something that happened in the 1960's is an assumption. Let's pretend for a moment that because the South is largely Republican that it is racist.

Does the map above mean the red areas are racist? Of course not, why would you apply that to the South nearly 50 years later? This entire country has a less than stellar track record on race relations (31 states held slaves, and black people were treated as less than human throughout this country in the past). Past being the key word.

Stop being so judgemental. Have you even been to the South?
Many, many times (been to the South).
In the rest of the country, besides the South, the more rural places are mostly red, while the more urban places are mostly blue......
this isn't really the case, in the South.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
In the rest of the country, besides the South, the more rural places are mostly red, while the more urban places are mostly blue......
Again, will you answer the simple question of where you are from? Or, better yet, where you consider home?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
My question was if people in the red counties throughout this country are racist, not whether urban or rural is red or blue.

The urban areas of the rest of the country have nothing to do with my question, unless you are implying that rural people throughout the country are racist.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
My question was if people in the red counties throughout this country are racist, not whether urban or rural is red or blue.

The urban areas of the rest of the country have nothing to do with my question, unless you are implying that rural people throughout the country are racist.
Point made, it's more of an urban vs. rural divide, to explain red vs. blue in the rest of America, where red still is the majority, in most of the more urban areas in the South.....
those areas, outside of the South, don't have the history of racism either, like the South does.....
I will say that the % of people who voted against Obama, elsewhere, due to his race, was probably very small. While in the south, even if that doesn't describe the majority of white voters, it still includes a sad % of them.....
someone I know who works as a guard in a senior citizens place, just outside of Atlanta, said that the snide comments (like calling him Obamammy) and unhappiness displayed along the whites (who are, granted just about all 70 years old or more) the day after Obama was elected, was disappointing.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Point made, it's more of an urban vs. rural divide, to explain red vs. blue in the rest of America, where red still is the majority, in most of the more urban areas in the South.....
those areas, outside of the South, don't have the history of racism either, like the South does.....
I will say that the % of people who voted against Obama, elsewhere, due to his race, was probably very small. While in the south, even if that doesn't describe the majority of white voters, it still includes a sad % of them.....
someone I know who works as a guard in a senior citizens place, just outside of Atlanta, said that the snide comments (like calling him Obamammy) and unhappiness displayed along the whites (who are, granted just about all 70 years old or more) the day after Obama was elected, was disappointing.
Again, you are making assumptions and judging the majority based on the actions of a few. You are judging the entire South based on a few people who are old enough to have experienced the racial tension of the 50's and 60's.

I am a 36 year old native Mississippian, and I can tell you that I don't harbor ill feelings toward people who are different than myself, and I don't know many people who do. The ones I do run across are the minority and I choose not to be around that influence.

You really should give us a chance, and stop being the person you think you are rallying against.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Canada is mostly white so it must be racist.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Canada is mostly white so it must be racist.
That was just about as funny as Michael Richards doing stand up comedy.
MT, ND, SD are a lot whiter than the South and for sure less racist than the South.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
That was just about as funny as Michael Richards doing stand up comedy.
MT, ND, SD are a lot whiter than the South and for sure less racist than the South.
Seems you have a prior predjudice. Because in your reality, only southerners are racist. And that is delusional.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 PM

"You really should give us a chance, and stop being the person you think you are rallying against (??????)........"

saying one (or something) is racist, doesn't make that person a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.