U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2010, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,076 posts, read 2,119,077 times
Reputation: 1416

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessMiracle View Post
No, but it will be if southerners weren't so reluctant to positive and progressive change. The only good cities in the south are Atlanta (though most of the Atlanta suburbs are as red as can be), most Florida cities, and maybe even Charlotte.

Yes, there is still blunt and ugly racism in the south. Some southerners will tell you otherwise but it is still a big problem. I remember we were at a resturant in Tennessee, the waitress sat me and my husband at the back of the restaurant and the service we had received was just so poor we just decided to leave and eat at mcdonalds instead. Even the Mcdonalds employees were a bit snippy to us. If you are wondering, I am black and he is Indian. We have not done anything to these people and yet they treat both of us this way. We had never had this problem in other regions of the country, we love traveling and we travel quite a bit and have not had any problems anywhere else except in the southern states. There is even racism in the Virginia town that I grew up in - well I don't know if you consider VA southern or not but is is below the mason-dixon line and is considered southern. It is mostly the older people who are openly racist, but they preach racism towards their children and it just breaks your heart sometimes the ugly words that come out of some southern childrens mouths. The south can change and have a positive future going for it, if only the people would be more accepting of change. I am laughed at and sometimes embarrassed when I tell people that I am from VA. The rest of the country still looks at the south in a negative way. But there is truth to most stereotypes. And if you are looking for the overweight, racist, trailer park trash, confederate flag waving redneck you will find him.
I had some Northern people treat me horribly before, let me proclaim them all a**holes then. I have heard Northern people say the N word, let me proclaim them all racists. In the chain restaurant my wife manages that has visits from people all over America she has been subjected to racist and derogatory remarks (not often, but it happens once in a while)... guess what, she doesn't get that type of treatment away from her job and we live in small town Mississippi. My wife is Belizean and of West Indian, East Indian, and Hispanic descent.

I have lived in the South my entire life, but the roughest, most racist people I have ever met were from Michigan. Do I think all people from Michigan are racists because of it? No, most rational people wouldn't.

Believe what you want, doesn't matter to me anymore if you want to be narrow-minded. This is NOT 1960.

Last edited by jhadorn; 07-21-2010 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,323,807 times
Reputation: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessMiracle View Post
No, but it will be if southerners weren't so reluctant to positive and progressive change. The only good cities in the south are Atlanta (though most of the Atlanta suburbs are as red as can be), most Florida cities, and maybe even Charlotte.

Yes, there is still blunt and ugly racism in the south. Some southerners will tell you otherwise but it is still a big problem. I remember we were at a resturant in Tennessee, the waitress sat me and my husband at the back of the restaurant and the service we had received was just so poor we just decided to leave and eat at mcdonalds instead. Even the Mcdonalds employees were a bit snippy to us. If you are wondering, I am black and he is Indian. We have not done anything to these people and yet they treat both of us this way. We had never had this problem in other regions of the country, we love traveling and we travel quite a bit and have not had any problems anywhere else except in the southern states. There is even racism in the Virginia town that I grew up in - well I don't know if you consider VA southern or not but is is below the mason-dixon line and is considered southern. It is mostly the older people who are openly racist, but they preach racism towards their children and it just breaks your heart sometimes the ugly words that come out of some southern childrens mouths. The south can change and have a positive future going for it, if only the people would be more accepting of change. I am laughed at and sometimes embarrassed when I tell people that I am from VA. The rest of the country still looks at the south in a negative way. But there is truth to most stereotypes. And if you are looking for the overweight, racist, trailer park trash, confederate flag waving redneck you will find him.
There may be a little hope for the South. This was probably an act, considering it was on Jerry Springer, but if I recall correctly, I saw overweight, trailer park trash, confederate flag waving rednecks, fighting over a....black woman.
I actually similed when I watched it, in a weird way, but Southern Bubbas are the last people that you would think that would be into non white women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Southeast Arizona
3,191 posts, read 4,139,393 times
Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
There may be a little hope for the South. This was probably an act, considering it was on Jerry Springer, but if I recall correctly, I saw overweight, trailer park trash, confederate flag waving rednecks, fighting over a....black woman.
I actually similed when I watched it, in a weird way, but Southern Bubbas are the last people that you would think that would be into non white women.
Yet you play with stereotypes, thinking that over a million people represent it as reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,076 posts, read 2,119,077 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I sleep very well, thank you.....
there's a reason why most of Springer's guests have southern accents....
LOL... Jerry Springer is staged, as in the scenarios are not real... they portray Southerners the way they do because of stereotypes people like you believe... the media perpetuates the Southern stereotype, just like they do the Mafia/New Jersey stereotype, or the dumb blonde surfer dude stereotype because they provide entertainment value and they sell. My point is that while there may be a small amount of truth to all of them, they are blown WAY out of proportion.

Seriously, if you believe the majority of Southerners are racist, redneck, inbred, etc. then you are disconnected from reality.

By the way, those are some of the worst, most forced Southern accents I have ever heard.

Last edited by jhadorn; 07-21-2010 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 10:09 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,127,079 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
He's just trying to stir the pot... don't let him bother you. Doesn't matter what he thinks or says.
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!
Exactly!

One of the things I get annoyed with myself about it is letting yankee trolls rile me up so much. I'd much rather just boil down my whole reply down to kiss my Lone Star Bonnie Blue Southern rear end.

Why in the ringing bell hell should we Southerners feel any reflexive need at all to be defensive about our history and heritage?

Today, the northerners and west coasters are trampling one another to get down here and get a piece of our sweet tater pie! You don't see many of us heading north, fer gosh sakes.

Anyway, there are just always going to be some who have a deep-rooted disdain and contempt and hatred for the South. I hope all my fellow Southerners will join in praying that they one day will be able to extend the tolerance they preach others should practice be that they excercise themselves...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,323,807 times
Reputation: 1721
What did I say......

This was probably an act, considering it was on Jerry Springer

however, knowing someone, who talked to someone who went on there, while the guests are coached......
the people who go on are real, that call to be on his show, not actors who fill those parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,323,807 times
Reputation: 1721
One of you said.....

Why in the ringing bell hell should we Southerners should feel any reflexive need at all to be defensive about our history and heritage?

Surely, you can't be serious.....
I don't think there have been black chruch bombings or blacks being dragged by pickup trucks from their necks in Montana or Maine, now....hhm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,076 posts, read 2,119,077 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
What did I say......

This was probably an act, considering it was on Jerry Springer

however, knowing someone, who talked to someone who went on there, while the guests are coached......
the people who go on are real, that call to be on his show, not actors who fill those parts
Wrong. It's all staged. The producers tell the booker what type of person they want for the show and what they want them to do, and the booker gets people who will do those things and make it look good. Professional wrestler Jamie Dundee has acted as booker and has played multiple rolls on the show.


YouTube - Jerry Springer Show Is Staged - Former Guest Explains How

Gullible much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,076 posts, read 2,119,077 times
Reputation: 1416
I see my post was deleted. I realize this thread is not about Jerry Springer. I interjected a little humor in response to beenhereandthere judging us by Springer episodes. Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Virginia
2 posts, read 1,296 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
One of you said.....

Why in the ringing bell hell should we Southerners should feel any reflexive need at all to be defensive about our history and heritage?

Surely, you can't be serious.....
I don't think there have been black chruch bombings or blacks being dragged by pickup trucks from their necks in Montana or Maine, now....hhm.
Not to defensive over the racist history of the south, but Maine and Montana are over 90% white im sure. So therefore, they have little experience with race relations. Not saying that gives an excuse for white southerners to commit these horrible crimes I am just saying...

God bless their families.

And to the other poster jerry springer is fake. I am sure maury and steve wilkos is fake as well. But I have dated plenty of southern white men from ky, tn, va, sc nc, ga and one from texas, before with no problems....no issues with their family members either. i even married one but he died overseas in iraq. But people not from the south, based on the south's history, would think that there is high racial tension in the south, but actually blacks and whites get along fine for the most part. what did you think someone in white sheets is going to come out of the backwoods and lynch you? that is just ridiculous. It is mostly people from the northeastern states who think this way not saying all but this is what I have encountered in nyc, nj, and the new england states of ct and mass. My current husband is from nyc and he thought this way about the south. I took him to my hometown and he fell in love with the place. I would love to invite them to the south to see that it isn't so bad as one would think and some of the sweetest people (both black & white) on earth live down here.

sure we have our problems, but what other region doesn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top