U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,717,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
Don't come South, its hot, muggy, buggy ,people go to church, talk slow, like guns, dogs, pickup trucks, country music, eat fried food and generally dislike people that know everything. You won't like it down here.
Preach it. I've posted similar truths myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,308,175 times
CD makes the south out to be some type of Hell. Even though its not. Its a lot like everywhere else in the US. you go the urban areas of the south and the north and they are similar. You go to the suburban areas of the south and the north and they are similar. You go to the rural areas of the south and the north and they are similar.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:44 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,432,789 times
I don't think it's a hard sell. True, I have no interest in moving to the South (I like it where I am now), but I enjoyed my brief time living there, and certainly hope to continue to explore more areas through future vacations. Obviously some parts of the south have more national allure as destinations than others, but that's true of any region. I agree that the south gets hit with a lot of ridiculous stereotypes, but those stereotypes include both the good and the bad. And aren't southern cities booming? I don't know the current statistics, but I thought many were; if that's the case, apparently things seem to be working just fine. (although I do realize there are also areas with severe poverty, so it's obviously too simplistic to speak of the entire South as one entity.)

Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 PM

705 posts, read 1,443,904 times
Its hard shedding all that baggage, I know the South is turning into the next big thing, its not there yet.If I moved, it would be to Texas w/family.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:03 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,988,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
CD makes the south out to be some type of Hell. Even though its not. Its a lot like everywhere else in the US. you go the urban areas of the south and the north and they are similar. You go to the suburban areas of the south and the north and they are similar. You go to the rural areas of the south and the north and they are similar.
Being born in Arkansas I hope they aren't too similar. There's some baggage to Southern-life, but good things too. (And there's baggage to the North too. The "Trail of Tears" was Southern, but after that some of the worst treatment of American Indians was Northern. Anti-Asian violence is mostly Western) The South has a unique history in literature, arts, festivals, folklore, etc. I'd be a bit sad if it became too "similar" to other regions.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:20 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,990,490 times
apparently not. according to the department of the interior and the u.s. census bureau, by the year 2020, an estimated 133 million residents will occupy the region identified as the south. this will consitiute over 1/3 of the u.s. population. the map, which is shown on city data, is divided into 6 or so sections, and it is color-coded. i don't recall the second most populated area, however, it might have been the pacific west. you can do a search and find the map and the breakdowns of the areas, the sunbelt states, rustbelts, etc. the federal reserve maps last spring, 2009, may also show the same map, trends, and migration patterns.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:39 AM

13,422 posts, read 16,987,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Its hard shedding all that baggage, I know the South is turning into the next big thing, its not there yet.If I moved, it would be to Texas w/family.
GIMME A BREAK!! the next big thing but not there yet?! The fastest growing and far and away MOST POPULATED (1/3 of the total) region of the country? Dude you need to get out of California. You're clueless.

U.S. Population by Region, 1990

Old 07-17-2010, 05:43 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,816,690 times
Quote:
Is it hard to sell the South as a world class place to live and work? Has the South shed most of its negitive baggage? I know a lot a peoplethat have no desire to even visit the South. A moderen image is something thats being framed but is it where it needs to be? What do you think? Tell us why
I don't really care the slightest bit of how others view Texas. I live a great lifestyle, probably wouldn't replace it for anywhere.

People hate on public transit here, I am going to be honest. Houston's public transportation by rail currently flat out sucks, and even when they extend it, I know I for sure won't use it. The same goes for Dallas, their is terrible by national standards too. Texas cities know they are auto-centric and quite frankly they like it for the most part.

I like driving my car, I like the excuse to own a car... wake up at freaking 12 AM and need to get something to eat, why rely on a dang public transportation system when you can control your own time with your car? I like too control my time, have as many people as I want with me, jam to some loud music, roll down the sunroof and windows and drive 80 MPH and let the breeze do it's course. (true story, do this almost every other night, just did it a few hours ago)

My lifestyle in Chicago as far as getting around really ticks me off, I do not have a car there, but it's a good thing it's walkable in downtown, but still 12 AM, walking.. I don't care how lively it is. I like the way things are done in an auto-centric city. Thus being the reason why I have a huge liking for Los Angeles.

Me + Auto Centric City + Awesome housing options + Great job Source = get along perfectly well.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 AM

17,305 posts, read 19,585,657 times
Quote:
Is it hard to sell the South as a world class place to live and work? Has the South shed most of its negitive baggage? I know a lot a peoplethat have no desire to even visit the South. A moderen image is something thats being framed but is it where it needs to be? What do you think? Tell us why
I think the south is looking more and more attractive. Maybe it's because people from the north are transforming it.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:55 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,140,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'll tell you why......

Because people are ignorant and misinformed about the south. People take in what they see and hear through the media and run with it. People who get their ideas and perceptions of one place from the media don't matter to me; we don't need naive people like that coming down here and polluting our cities and states with stupidity [we have enough already].

Do you realize how annoying it is that when you tell people your from Texas and they ask stupid questions like "Do you ride horses everywhere?" or "Black people actually live in Texas?". These are actually real questions from real people that I get asked all the time. People love to speak down on the education system in the south, but when you witness and experience stupidity such as this from people outside the south; it makes you wonder about their education systems.

In the end; the south has already shed it's image and many people have noticed. Racism, segregation, poverty and all that exists outside of the south, but others are too worried about what's going on down here to notice and fix their own issues elsewhere. The country is very divided between the south and everyone else and will be as long as people who think like this exist.
This post pretty much gets how I feel about the topic.

I find the "black people in Texas one" espescially funny. They don't even have a clue that Texas has the fourth largest black population in the country. That's more than Cali has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.