U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,142,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Count me among those who have no desire to acknowledge, visit, or even take seriously a segment of the country that is painted red each election year. I find the racial history of the South and its continuing reputation as a haven for bigots to be absolutely appalling. Any area of the country that is favored by the likes of Strom Thurmond, David Duke, Jesse Helms, Palin, Limbaugh, and so forth is not an area that I care about. Not in the least.

The South's image is a very hard sell...and this is an understatement.
I'm black and a "Democrat" and to be honest, i'm not always pleased with things a lot of white people do (even the "non-racist" ones) but your post is pretty ridiculous. Three of the most prominent conservatives today, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, and Ann Coulter are all from New York. Does that keep you from taking New York seriously? Not to mention that this country as a whole (not just the southern portion) has had a pretty bad racial history. It's people like you who made me want to stop being a Democrat and wash my hands of politics altogether, because these days I find both conservatives and liberals insufferable, arrogant, and self-righteous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,721,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm black and a "Democrat" and to be honest, i'm not always pleased with things a lot of white people do (even the "non-racist" ones) but your post is pretty ridiculous. Three of the most prominent conservatives today, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, and Ann Coulter are all from New York. Does that keep you from taking New York seriously? Not to mention that this country as a whole (not just the southern portion) has had a pretty bad racial history. It's people like you who made me want to stop being a Democrat and wash my hands of politics altogether, because these days I find both conservatives and liberals insufferable, arrogant, and self-righteous.
UTHORNS,

As a Southern Dem myself, I think you're right on the money. Great post.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,200,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Is it hard to sell the South as a world class place to live and work? Has the South shed most of its negitive baggage? I know a lot a peoplethat have no desire to even visit the South. A moderen image is something thats being framed but is it where it needs to be? What do you think? Tell us why
You should visit and then inform us of your thoughts!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:08 PM

13,424 posts, read 16,998,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
EXCELLENT POST! This is EXACTLY why I hate liberals (and I'm no conservative either) -- they preach acceptance and inclusion, and yet are just as judgmental, narrow-minded and bigoted as the people they allegedly so despise. The very idea of "hating" a place just because 51 percent of its voters may have gone one way or the other in a recent election? ABSURD!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM

13,424 posts, read 16,998,794 times
Quote:
Count me among those who have no desire to acknowledge, visit, or even take seriously a segment of the country that is painted red each election year. I find the racial history of the South and its continuing reputation as a haven for bigots to be absolutely appalling. Any area of the country that is favored by the likes of Strom Thurmond, David Duke, Jesse Helms, Palin, Limbaugh, and so forth is not an area that I care about. Not in the least.

The fact that you would so easily dismiss all a place has to offer just because 51 percent of its voters just happened to go one way or the other in the most recent election illustrates your narrow-mindedness and ignorance. How hypocritical!

Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,289,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The fact that you would so easily dismiss all a place has to offer just because 51 percent of its voters just happened to go one way or the other in the most recent election illustrates your narrow-mindedness and ignorance. How hypocritical!
Sensible/well-traveled/educated people know that it's very ignorant to judge a place because of what you've heard about it...but there are always some in the crowd that, for one reason or another, attempt to disparage. It's not worth anymore attention.

The South isn't a hard sell to those who know the truth and to those who are sensible/well-traveled/educated. For those with antiquated and misguided ideas about the South, it will always be a hard sell...so it just depends on who you're trying to sell to.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:49 PM

597 posts, read 1,886,668 times
It seems we have an image problem with the regular Joes and Janes, but it's very obvious that your CEOs, relocation managers, meeting planners, a huge swath of the country's creative class, pro sport teams, Hollywood-types, medical and healthcare companies, insurance and oodles more have really liked the only region I'm qualified to speak of, Nashville and Middle Tennessee. And we're not alone, think Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh. We thank you for all that. Remember, the CEOs don't move alone, they bring their companies, their jobs and their money. Most of those who come with the companies are happy they do. If some want to stay home in their weather-beaten cities and towns and belittle us poor toothless, uneducated hillbillies, that's your prerogative. The money and jobs coming here from elsewhere may not pave the roads in gold, but at least we can afford to pave ours. Yours are awful.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,246,625 times
I just wish the region would ease up a bit on us gay folk. Sure, some areas are better than others in this regard, but aside from the North East, there aren't that many places in this country that are friendly to us 'mos. Aside from that issue (that pops up all over the country) I love the region.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:06 PM

7,280 posts, read 13,542,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
The money and jobs coming here from elsewhere may not pave the roads in gold, but at least we can afford to pave ours. Yours are awful.
Okay, not to derail, but I just wanted to quickly nitpick something:

In the north, they have severe winter weather that brings freeze-thaw and necessitates snowplows. They have to constantly maintain the roads. Down south? Not so much. I know roads in the rural south that haven't been repaved a single time in my lifetime. And I'm not that young.

Roads suck in a lot of the north, but those winters explain why they suck. A sucky road down south is inexcusable. And I see them all the time.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,136,223 times
Quote:

And we in the South are, in turn, very grateful that patronizing, supercilious, clueless, individuals like you keep yourselves out of the South.

Word to the wise though? If there were ever a true national catasrophe...as in where all modern conveniences taken for granted no longer existed? As in no running water, toilets, electricity...nor any way to buy the foodstuffs those old redneck farmers and cattlemen make available in the supermarkets you shop in?

I can almost guarantee people like you would be worse than fish out of water. You'd probably be BEGGING for some of those ol' Red state Southerners you look down on today, to save your arrogant a$$ from total starvation and protected from physical harm.

Put another way (to paraphrase Hank Williams, Jr), we can skin a buck and run a trot line and know how to collect enough water thru the sun, to survive. That will be what matters in a time like that. A law or sociology degree will amount to toilet paper.

Get off your high-horse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.