U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,831,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Put another way (to paraphrase Hank Williams, Jr), we can skin a buck and run a trot line and know how to collect enough water thru the sun, to survive. That will be what matters in a time like that. A law or sociology degree will amount to toilet paper.
Oh no...I don't know how to do those things.
I guess I didn't get my full Southern training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM

13,424 posts, read 16,991,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
I just wish the region would ease up a bit on us gay folk. Sure, some areas are better than others in this regard, but aside from the North East, there aren't that many places in this country that are friendly to us 'mos. Aside from that issue (that pops up all over the country) I love the region.
Move to Savannah. VERY gay friendly, big homo town, our quirkiness is a MAJOR tourist draw, little old ladies from Peoria get off their tour buses and head straight for the drag shows. VERY big gay SOUTHERN party town. CHECK US OUT:

Gay Savannah Georgia - First City Network, Georgia's Oldest LGBT Social Organization - Since 1985
Gay Savannah - Gay Friendly Savannah - Savannah's Official Site for the Gay & Lesbian Community
Savannah Pride, Inc. (http://savpride.com/wordpress/ - broken link)
Club One | Savannah, GA | Home
Blaines Bar
Venus De Milo - Savannah, GA

Old 07-19-2010, 08:43 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,326,184 times
Simple: rampant racism, ok.
While there are some strides that have been made South of the Mason Dixon line.....
there's a serious racism issue when states like LA, MS, and AL, have only 10% of the white population voting for Obama and don't tell me that's because he's a White Sox fan...
Or when AL, passed a non binding (since the 1967 Supreme Court decision wiped these laws out) resolution that would have wiped the interracial marriage ban off the state constitution books.....
and 41% of the voters OPPOSED it.....
not 10% which is what you would expect in 1999....
41%

Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,541,136 times
Quote:
And we in the South are, in turn, very grateful that patronizing, supercilious, clueless, individuals like you keep yourselves out of the South.

Word to the wise though? If there were ever a true national catasrophe...as in where all modern conveniences taken for granted no longer existed? As in no running water, toilets, electricity...nor any way to buy the foodstuffs those old redneck farmers and cattlemen make available in the supermarkets you shop in?

I can almost guarantee people like you would be worse than fish out of water. You'd probably be BEGGING for some of those ol' Red state Southerners you look down on today, to save your arrogant a$$ from total starvation and protected from physical harm.

Put another way (to paraphrase Hank Williams, Jr), we can skin a buck and run a trot line and know how to collect enough water thru the sun, to survive. That will be what matters in a time like that. A law or sociology degree will amount to toilet paper.

Get off your high-horse...
Okay, so here's another thing that I, a born and raised southerner, take issue with: Sure, there are rugged, rough-and-ready southerners. But that isn't the norm anymore. I've lived in the south, the north, the midwest... and it tends to really come down, once again, to rural and urban, not north and south.

Midwestern farm kids? As rugged as any southerner. The guys I know from rural upstate New York? You'd call them rednecks if you saw them, until they started talking.

On the other hand, people I know who grew up in cities and towns throughout the south have no CLUE how to work the land or fend for themselves. Growing up in the suburbs of Charlotte or Raleigh or even in Huntsville or Augusta or Jackson doesn't automatically make you a cowboy.

Furthermore, I get a little frustrated that so many small-to-midsized towns and rural areas in the South have forgotten how to be innovative or specialized in any way. The same is true for all regions, to an extent, but I have spent more time in rural areas and small towns in the south than in any other region.

I know almost no one anymore who grew up on a farm. Most of the farms in my area are massive factory jobs, and the vast majority of them don't grow much in the way of real food. Lots of feed corn and soybeans. Maybe a little cotton and tobacco. Nothing you'd want to pick and eat.

Sure, a lot of folks hunt, but have you ever been to a place like Michigan? Michigan is as hunting crazy as any place I've been in the south.

My point is that we all love to sit around and lob generalizations, but many of them are either short-sighted or based on half-truths. I mean, come on. One poster was talking about how great the public transit was up north and how there isn't any down south. Is that true? Or is that once again a comment on major cities vs rural areas? Are you telling me that rural Maine has a subway? Or that you can't catch a bus or a train in Atlanta?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,133,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Simple: rampant racism, ok.
While there are some strides that have been made South of the Mason Dixon line.....
Then why is it that it is black and white Southerners who express the most optomistic viewpoints on race-relations? Why is it that most major race-riots have occured in northern and far western states? Why did Dr. King once say something along the lines of "if you want to teach a white Southerner how to hate, send him to Chicago"?

Quote:
there's a serious racism issue when states like LA, MS, and AL, have only 10% of the white population voting for Obama and don't tell me that's because he's a White Sox fan...
Gawd. I am not even going to pretend to be tactful with this one. This ranks up there on the list of Top Ten hits as amongst the silliest, asinine, and ludicrous statements ever to be posted.

It is so ridiculous, it is almost hard to reply to it without spewing beer all over myself, laughing so hysterically.

So that a large majority of white voters in certain Southern states did NOT voting for "Obama" is tantamount to being racist? Where in the living, bleeding, total, hell, do you come by that leap of connection? ROFLMAO Hells ringing bells...over 90% of blacks voted against McCain (actually, I didn't support him either...I went with the Constitutional Party candidate), can it be equally said they are racist and narrow-minded as well?

Could it be (*gasp*) it boiled down to that the Messiah represented an agenda and outlook which went against that embraced by many Southerners? Did you know that when Collin Powell ran for Republican nomination, he received most of his support from white Southerners? I didn't think so...

Quote:
Or when AL, passed a non binding (since the 1967 Supreme Court decision wiped these laws out) resolution that would have wiped the interracial marriage ban off the state constitution books.....
and 41% of the voters OPPOSED it.....
not 10% which is what you would expect in 1999....
41%
Maybe many of them just resented being asked the question to begin with...and registered a "protest" vote. As it is, actually, as a demographic segment, it is black women who poll as the most strongly objecting to interacial marriage.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,119,886 times
Quote:
Then why is it that it is black and white Southerners who express the most optomistic viewpoints on race-relations? Why is it that most major race-riots have occured in northern and far western states? Why did Dr. King once say something along the lines of "if you want to teach a white Southerner how to hate, send him to Chicago"?

Gawd. I am not even going to pretend to be tactful with this one. This ranks up there on the list of Top Ten hits as amongst the silliest, asinine, and ludicrous statements ever to be posted.

It is so ridiculous, it is almost hard to reply to it without spewing beer all over myself, laughing so hysterically.

So that a large majority of white voters in certain Southern states did NOT voting for "Obama" is tantamount to being racist? Where in the living, bleeding, total, hell, do you come by that leap of connection? ROFLMAO Hells ringing bells...over 90% of blacks voted against McCain (actually, I didn't support him either...I went with the Constitutional Party candidate), can it be equally said they are racist and narrow-minded as well?

Could it be (*gasp*) it boiled down to that the Messiah represented an agenda and outlook which went against that embraced by many Southerners? Did you know that when Collin Powell ran for Republican nomination, he received most of his support from white Southerners? I didn't think so...

Maybe many of them just resented being asked the question to begin with...and registered a "protest" vote. As it is, actually, as a demographic segment, it is black women who poll as the most strongly objecting to interacial marriage.
+1 for you. Excellent post. Just because a white person does not vote for Obama does not make him or her racist. Beenhereandthere, did you stop to think about Mississippi being a state that supports a more conservative republican viewpoint? Obama is a Democrat, why would most people here vote for him?

If Obama represented what I support I would have absolutely no problem voting for him. Personally, I am more libertarian in my views with some exceptions.

Here's another one for ya, I am married to a Belizean woman of West Indian (West Indies), East Indian (India), and Hispanic descent. I love her very, very much. How does that fit in with your judgemental, stereotypical view of Southerners?

Last edited by jhadorn; 07-20-2010 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 AM

3,191 posts, read 4,140,850 times
I'm with Reb and jhadorn, calling whites racist because they didn't vote for Obama is certainly not right.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,326,184 times
Blacks vote 90% democratic anyway, no racism there...towards McCain.
How do you explain, at least 20% of the white vote (in these 3 states) going to Kerry in 2004, but only 10% going to Obama in 2008?...
even though this wasn't in AL, MS or LA....it still happened in the South...
Racist Barack Obama Billboard on Display South of West Plains, Missouri | The Hinterland Gazette

Also, the protest vote excuse? Pretty weak, why just not vote at all, if you don't like that referendum, as opposed to voting against it? AL has a sorry history of race relations, even today and this is just one bit of evidence that proves it.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,596,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Blacks vote 90% democratic anyway, no racism there...towards McCain.
How do you explain, at least 20% of the white vote (in these 3 states) going to Kerry in 2004, but only 10% going to Obama in 2008?...
even though this wasn't in AL, MS or LA....it still happened in the South...
Racist Barack Obama Billboard on Display South of West Plains, Missouri | The Hinterland Gazette

Also, the protest vote excuse? Pretty weak, why just not vote at all, if you don't like that referendum, as opposed to voting against it? AL has a sorry history of race relations, even today and this is just one bit of evidence that proves it.
In a nutshell.
Obama is farther left than the politics of Kerry for one, and quite a bit farther left than the politics of the last time a Democrat was in office of southern Democrat Clinton from Arkansas.
McCain was historically more center, slightly right. He ran as more center, moderately right candidate against the neoconservative Bush in 2000 for the Republican candidacy. McCain pulled a decent amount of the moderate vote in 2008 which might normally vote Democrat in more conservative states, while Obama still balanced that to people who were just not going to vote another Republican in.McCain was a pretty favorable Republican among Dem's and the Clinton Administration as a whole during the 1990s.
As a Senator McCain didn't really line up with a lot of Bush policies, especially since he just lost to him in the 2000 primaries. He was pretty buddy buddy with Lieberman actually who ran with Gore...after all they wrote legislation for the 9/11 commission together. Also back to Kerry, if you recall, he ran with John Edwards, another southern Democrat (they elect both you know.)
A farther right candidate was not an option to win the republican primaries in 2008 because of the damage the 8 years of Bush had caused.

Hey but what do I know, they are all racists...

Last edited by grapico; 07-20-2010 at 02:55 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 02:50 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,133,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
In a nutshell.
Obama is farther left than the politics of Kerry for one, and quite a bit farther left than the politics of the last time a Democrat was in office of southern Democrat Clinton from Arkansas.
McCain was historically more center, slightly right. He ran as more center, moderately right candidate against the neoconservative Bush in 2000 for the Republican candidacy. McCain pulled a decent amount of the moderate vote in 2008 which might normally vote Democrat in more conservative states, while Obama still balanced that to people who were just not going to vote another Republican in.McCain was a pretty favorable Republican among Dem's and the Clinton Administration as a whole during the 1990s.
As a Senator McCain didn't really line up with a lot of Bush policies, especially since he just lost to him in the 2000 primaries. He was pretty buddy buddy with Lieberman actually who ran with Gore...after all they wrote legislation for the 9/11 commission together.
A farther right candidate was not an option to win the republican primaries in 2008 because of the damage the 8 years of Bush had caused.

Hey but what do I know, they are all racists...
You beat me to it, grapico! Great post! Rep to ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.