U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,324,564 times
Reputation: 1721

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
In a nutshell.
Obama is farther left than the politics of Kerry for one, and quite a bit farther left than the politics of the last time a Democrat was in office of southern Democrat Clinton from Arkansas.
McCain was historically more center, slightly right. He ran as more center, moderately right candidate against the neoconservative Bush in 2000 for the Republican candidacy. McCain pulled a decent amount of the moderate vote in 2008 which might normally vote Democrat in more conservative states, while Obama still balanced that to people who were just not going to vote another Republican in.McCain was a pretty favorable Republican among Dem's and the Clinton Administration as a whole during the 1990s.
As a Senator McCain didn't really line up with a lot of Bush policies, especially since he just lost to him in the 2000 primaries. He was pretty buddy buddy with Lieberman actually who ran with Gore...after all they wrote legislation for the 9/11 commission together.
A farther right candidate was not an option to win the republican primaries in 2008 because of the damage the 8 years of Bush had caused.

Hey but what do I know, they are all racists...

Not all, but racism did play a good deal into anti Obama votes in the south....more than anywhere else, anyone who doesn't believe that is a fool...
maybe most white Southerners, didn't use race into their decision, but even if it's, say, a 3rd of them who did, that's still way too many.

Still don't believe me? Read the middle part of the link.....

Obama still isn’t president in the south | Andrew Sullivan - Times Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
 
Location: The South
767 posts, read 2,004,869 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Blacks vote 90% democratic anyway, no racism there...towards McCain.
How do you explain, at least 20% of the white vote (in these 3 states) going to Kerry in 2004, but only 10% going to Obama in 2008?...
even though this wasn't in AL, MS or LA....it still happened in the South...
Racist Barack Obama Billboard on Display South of West Plains, Missouri | The Hinterland Gazette

Also, the protest vote excuse? Pretty weak, why just not vote at all, if you don't like that referendum, as opposed to voting against it? AL has a sorry history of race relations, even today and this is just one bit of evidence that proves it.
Whats wrong with just disliking somebody. I don't like his aloof style, so I would never ever, ever, vote for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,589,254 times
Reputation: 5668
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Not all, but racism did play a good deal into anti Obama votes in the south....more than anywhere else, anyone who doesn't believe that is a fool...
maybe most white Southerners, didn't use race into their decision, but even if it's, say, a 3rd of them who did, that's still way too many.

Still don't believe me? Read the middle part of the link.....

Obama still isn’t president in the south | Andrew Sullivan - Times Online
Right right...

please keep spewing your antics though, and linking us to Opinion columns.

You don't seem to have a good grasp at critical thinking. Anyway that opinion piece really jumps to conclusions, horrible writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,324,564 times
Reputation: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Right right...

please keep spewing your antics though, and linking us to Opinion columns.

You don't seem to have a good grasp at critical thinking. Anyway that opinion piece really jumps to conclusions, horrible writing.
Much better grasp at it than you, sheep....
if I'm so wrong about White Southerners and the way a lot of them feel about a Black Man in the White House, why so many hits, when you type this in?......
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,730,000 for southerners don't believe Obama born in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,078 posts, read 2,119,469 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Not all, but racism did play a good deal into anti Obama votes in the south....more than anywhere else, anyone who doesn't believe that is a fool...
maybe most white Southerners, didn't use race into their decision, but even if it's, say, a 3rd of them who did, that's still way too many.

Still don't believe me? Read the middle part of the link.....

Obama still isn’t president in the south | Andrew Sullivan - Times Online
Being skeptical of his legitimacy to be president makes those people racist? If Obama was a white far left candidate with identical circumstances regarding his birthplace, would it be as controversial? Absolutely. Rupublicans still would not support him. Politics is big business, and it's all about discrediting your opponent and creating doubt.

Way to go, trying to pass off an opinion column as proof we are all racists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Blacks vote 90% democratic anyway, no racism there...towards McCain.
How do you explain, at least 20% of the white vote (in these 3 states) going to Kerry in 2004, but only 10% going to Obama in 2008?...
even though this wasn't in AL, MS or LA....it still happened in the South...
Racist Barack Obama Billboard on Display South of West Plains, Missouri | The Hinterland Gazette

Also, the protest vote excuse? Pretty weak, why just not vote at all, if you don't like that referendum, as opposed to voting against it? AL has a sorry history of race relations, even today and this is just one bit of evidence that proves it.
Grapico pretty much summed up what I was going to reply as concerns the so-called "Obama" vote issue. And by the way, it really doesn't need to be explained nor justified, anyway. If you think the vote indicating lack of Southern white support for Obama is indicitive of racism, then only shows how anxious you are to play the race-card. As jhadorn said earlier, the South is a conservative region and it is not at all surprising that there would be a lack of support for someone advancing the far-left agenda and outlook he embraces. It is not a black/white issue, but a liberal/conservative one. I would have no hesitation at all in supporting a Thomas Sowell or Walter Williams if they ran. And again, Collin Powell recieved most of his support from white Southerners.

Anyway, so far as the Alabama thing goes, I am not real familiar with it. As to the larger mention of that the state has a sorry history of race-relations? Well, can you tell me one state that doesn't? For some people (and you seem to be one of them) the South will always be a horrid netherworld which has never changed since the Jim Crow era of 1935.

As I said in the earlier post, it is in the South (defined for these polling purposes as the 11 Old Confederate States plus Kentucky and Oklahoma) where blacks and whites express the most optomism on race-relations. It is the least segregated region of the country today.

And even in the Jim Crow era, the biggest difference in de jure segregation in the South and de facto in the North and West was that Southerners were just less hypocritical about it.

Where are you from, by the way? I would really like to know what state/region you come from which presumes the right to condemn the South by virtue of being so pristine and pure yourselves in the realm of race-relations. Will you provide this information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,078 posts, read 2,119,469 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Much better grasp at it than you, sheep....
if I'm so wrong about White Southerners and the way a lot of them feel about a Black Man in the White House, why so many hits, when you type this in?......
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,730,000 for southerners don't believe Obama born in the US.
I googled that same phrase, you fudged a little, 2,530,000 results for 'southerners don't believe obama born in the US.'

I also googled 'northerners don't believe obama born in the US.' and returned 2,090,000 results.

Grasping at straws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,324,564 times
Reputation: 1721
You guys don't want to believe the obvious do you.....sheesh....

An opinion poll carried out for Daily Kos by Research 2000 in July 2009 found that 77% of Americans believed that Obama was born in the U.S., while 11% didn't, and 12% were unsure. However, Republicans and Southerners were far more likely than other political or demographic groups to doubt that Obama was born in the United States. 58% of Republicans either believed that Obama was not born in the U.S. (28%) or were not sure (30%), with 42% believing that he was. An overwhelming majority of Democrats (93%) and independents (83%) believed that he was born in the U.S. Support for the belief that Obama was born outside the U.S. was strongest in the South, where only 47% of those polled believed he was born in the U.S., compared with an average of 90% of residents of the Northeast, Midwest and West.[211] A marked racial disparity in the South was also apparent. The Politico's congressional reporter, Glenn Thrush, commented that the Research 2000 poll "explains why Republicans, including Roy Blunt, are playing footsie with the Birther fringe".[211] Writing on National Journal's Pollster.com blog, Brendan Nyhan observed that the poll "suggests that the encouragement of the birth certificate myth by conservative pundits and Republican politicians has begun to activate the GOP base on this issue".[212]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,078 posts, read 2,119,469 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
You guys don't want to believe the obvious do you.....sheesh....

An opinion poll carried out for Daily Kos by Research 2000 in July 2009 found that 77% of Americans believed that Obama was born in the U.S., while 11% didn't, and 12% were unsure. However, Republicans and Southerners were far more likely than other political or demographic groups to doubt that Obama was born in the United States. 58% of Republicans either believed that Obama was not born in the U.S. (28%) or were not sure (30%), with 42% believing that he was. An overwhelming majority of Democrats (93%) and independents (83%) believed that he was born in the U.S. Support for the belief that Obama was born outside the U.S. was strongest in the South, where only 47% of those polled believed he was born in the U.S., compared with an average of 90% of residents of the Northeast, Midwest and West.[211] A marked racial disparity in the South was also apparent. The Politico's congressional reporter, Glenn Thrush, commented that the Research 2000 poll "explains why Republicans, including Roy Blunt, are playing footsie with the Birther fringe".[211] Writing on National Journal's Pollster.com blog, Brendan Nyhan observed that the poll "suggests that the encouragement of the birth certificate myth by conservative pundits and Republican politicians has begun to activate the GOP base on this issue".[212]
One third of Californians don't believe Obama was born in the US, and 22% are not sure... racists?

http://field.com/fieldpollonline/sub...rs/Rls2325.pdf

Let's stop trying to equate a lack of votes for Obama as racist.

According to the poll linked below, 14% of Republicans, 10% of Democrats, and 8% of Independents think Obama is a Muslim? Does it mean 10% of democrats are racist or 14% of Republicans are racist? Maybe it has nothing to do with race?

Poll: 1 in 10 think Obama is Muslim - USATODAY.com

If the numbers you gave are even correct, given they only polled 2400 people, take into consideration that over the entire country 45% of Republicans think Obama was born outside the US. The South is made up of mostly Republicans, see where i'm going? You think 45% of all Republicans are racist?

Polls don't mean much to me because they deal with such a small number and are often skewed.

How many people believe the moon landing was fake? How about UFO's, Bigfoot, or crop circles? There are some polls for you that would mean about as much as the one you quoted.

Last edited by jhadorn; 07-20-2010 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,324,564 times
Reputation: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
One third of Californians don't believe Obama was born in the US, and 22% are not sure... racists?

http://field.com/fieldpollonline/sub...rs/Rls2325.pdf

Let's stop trying to equate a lack of votes for Obama as racist.

According to the poll linked below, 14% of Republicans, 10% of Democrats, and 8% of Independents think Obama is a Muslim? Does it mean 10% of democrats are racist or 14% of Republicans are racist? Maybe it has nothing to do with race?

Poll: 1 in 10 think Obama is Muslim - USATODAY.com

If the numbers you gave are even correct, given they only polled 2400 people, take into consideration that over the entire country 45% of Republicans think Obama was born outside the US. The South is made up of mostly Republicans, see where i'm going? You think 45% of all Republicans are racist?

Polls don't mean much to me because they deal with such a small number and are often skewed.

How many people believe the moon landing was fake? How about UFO's, Bigfoot, or crop circles? There are some polls for you that would mean about as much as the one you quoted.
So I'm wrong, eh?
Explain to me what Nixon's Southern Stratergy was back in the late 1960's and why the Republicans have embraced it almost all the time since then?
I can't say I've heard of a Western Stratergy or even a Midwestern Stratergy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top