Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:03 PM

705 posts, read 1,660,717 times

Advertisements

Is it hard to sell the South as a world class place to live and work? Has the South shed most of its negitive baggage? I know a lot a peoplethat have no desire to even visit the South. A moderen image is something thats being framed but is it where it needs to be? What do you think? Tell us why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 01:11 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Is it hard to sell the South as a world class place to live and work? Has the South shed most of its negitive baggage? I know a lot a peoplethat have no desire to even visit the South. A moderen image is something thats being framed but is it where it needs to be? What do you think? Tell us why
Personally I think people are just really condecending and ignorant towards the south, I just got back from a vacation in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas, and I encountered no problems, I liked it better than the southwest!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
It's more a rural/urban problem than a north/south problem.

Atlanta, Charlotte, RDU... These places have no real problem attracting business or businesspeople. Mid-sized/small cities have a harder time, but that's true for smaller places in lots of regions.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
I'll tell you why......

Because people are ignorant and misinformed about the south. People take in what they see and hear through the media and run with it. People who get their ideas and perceptions of one place from the media don't matter to me; we don't need naive people like that coming down here and polluting our cities and states with stupidity [we have enough already].

Do you realize how annoying it is that when you tell people your from Texas and they ask stupid questions like "Do you ride horses everywhere?" or "Black people actually live in Texas?". These are actually real questions from real people that I get asked all the time. People love to speak down on the education system in the south, but when you witness and experience stupidity such as this from people outside the south; it makes you wonder about their education systems.

In the end; the south has already shed it's image and many people have noticed. Racism, segregation, poverty and all that exists outside of the south, but others are too worried about what's going on down here to notice and fix their own issues elsewhere. The country is very divided between the south and everyone else and will be as long as people who think like this exist.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM

492 posts, read 1,026,761 times
Its not a hard sell at all to any open minded individual with a sense of reality.....

but to those who have some superiority complex towards the south and its inhabitants or want to hold on to silly 50 year old stereotypes, then yeah it is a hard sell.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
When colleges are still relying on text like Pete Applebome's How the South is Shaping,American, Politics,Values, and culture for relevance today than..yes..hard sell. People have exagerated and distorted the region for years..why stop now?

Here in Colorado we get twenty foot snowstorms, everyone snowboards, and ride horses down main street.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
why try and sell it? it's a good kept secret! don't tell!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times
Don't come South, its hot, muggy, buggy ,people go to church, talk slow, like guns, dogs, pickup trucks, country music, eat fried food and generally dislike people that know everything. You won't like it down here.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:26 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
No not really. It sells itself.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:05 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Personally, I couldn't live in the south, but that is more due to weather than climate or politics.

The south has changed but it still is the south. It has it's own history as does every part of our country. Some good, some bad. Although I don't see myself settling there for the long haul, I would definitely love to see more of the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.