Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:39 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I guess the US Government consists of idiots then:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._9_regions.svg

You guys need to get the message across to Washington DC, you are a district in a neutral location, does not belong in any region of the USA.
Different government organizations have different region definitions though. Therefore, only some organizations within the US government are idiots

As a Bal/Wash native, the first time i heard anyone refer to the area as southern was as a teen actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:49 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterForever View Post
Baltimore and DC are not southern in any shape, way, or form...DC native here. We are not southerners.
It is historically a part of the South. The South was much further North until the late 19th century until large-scale immigration changed the culture of the Northern edge pushing the boundary down. More recently is is pushing further down along the Atlantic Coast.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:58 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
It is historically a part of the South. The South was much further North until the late 19th century until large-scale immigration changed the culture of the Northern edge pushing the boundary down. More recently is is pushing further down along the Atlantic Coast.
And even at its zenith, the South never included any part of Pennsylvania.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:07 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Nor the whole of Maryland

Old 07-17-2010, 01:38 PM

52 posts, read 98,656 times
Quote:
Never said a truer word.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:34 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
everything is relative. To me, Baltimore and DC are southern. So is Philly and NYC.

Canadians sometimes call our whole nation "down south".

To people in Brazil, I would imagine Jacksonville is pretty darn "northern".

(Okay, I am playing with "south" a geographic direction, and shouldn't be taken too seriously. However, it doesn't change the fact that cultural boundaries are all relative too. DC, and Baltimore, and even Philly, although not "southern", do have many more southern characteristics than Boston.)

Old 07-17-2010, 04:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._9_regions.svg

You guys need to get the message across to Washington DC, you are a district in a neutral location, does not belong in any region of the USA.
Yes; it does

Old 07-17-2010, 08:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
everything is relative. To me, Baltimore and DC are southern. So is Philly and NYC.

Canadians sometimes call our whole nation "down south".

To people in Brazil, I would imagine Jacksonville is pretty darn "northern".

(Okay, I am playing with "south" a geographic direction, and shouldn't be taken too seriously. However, it doesn't change the fact that cultural boundaries are all relative too. DC, and Baltimore, and even Philly, although not "southern", do have many more southern characteristics than Boston.)

Just curious, how so?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I know some native DC residents who talk about when DC used to be part of the south (they meant within their lifetime, by the way). I don't think DC is Southern these days, but I also don't think anyone is an "idiot" if they feel otherwise. Historically it had close Southern ties and affiliations, and it does, obviously, border VA -- a very Southern state.

I would never consider Baltimore a southern city, though. I think it's definitely solidly in the north.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I know some native DC residents who talk about when DC used to be part of the south (they meant within their lifetime, by the way). I don't think DC is Southern these days, but I also don't think anyone is an "idiot" if they feel otherwise. Historically it had close Southern ties and affiliations, and it does, obviously, border VA -- a very Southern state.

I would never consider Baltimore a southern city, though. I think it's definitely solidly in the north.
I think with Baltimore, it was but a longer time ago than with Washington DC. I think it changed about the same time St. Louis changed in the 2nd half of the 19th century and for the same reason which is immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.