U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:12 PM

1,765 posts, read 6,382,953 times

Advertisements

because there's no official language in the US, and the airlines haven't bothered to make clear pronunciation of english a job requirement?

just guessing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 04:37 PM

138 posts, read 891,174 times
That's a good question.

Another good question: Why does the University of Toledo hire people from Asian countries, to teach 80% of the classes in the math department ?

Advanced math is difficult enough, but they make it much more difficult, by having people teach it, who's english pronunciation is very poor. Students can barely understand what they're saying. This is a major problem on many college campuses.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:09 PM

2,387 posts, read 7,771,254 times
I was at Newark Airport a few weeks ago, waiting for my flight back to LA. It's one of those airports that has delays quite often just due to the large number of flights that airlines try to push out onto the runways at the same time. I was trying to hear the delay information for my flight. Turns out the person making the flight announcement had a real heavy authentic Jersey City accent. I picked up on the information with no problem, cause I lived in Jersey for many years and my ears tuned in right away. A bunch of California people standing around me didn't have a clue what was said.
There are so many local accents and ways to pronounce words in our "American" english, that it would be pretty difficult to have airlines make rules about who can and who can't make announcements on the public address system. Would the rules have to say "no southern accents", "no Texas drawl", "no New York / New Jersey accents", "no upper midwest scandinavian sounding accents" or "no down east Maine accents" or "no ethnic urban sounding accents". Would we have language police in the airport aisles?

Old 06-23-2007, 05:18 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,419,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I was at Newark Airport a few weeks ago, waiting for my flight back to LA. It's one of those airports that has delays quite often just due to the large number of flights that airlines try to push out onto the runways at the same time. I was trying to hear the delay information for my flight. Turns out the person making the flight announcement had a real heavy authentic Jersey City accent. I picked up on the information with no problem, cause I lived in Jersey for many years and my ears tuned in right away. A bunch of California people standing around me didn't have a clue what was said.
There are so many local accents and ways to pronounce words in our "American" english, that it would be pretty difficult to have airlines make rules about who can and who can't make announcements on the public address system. Would the rules have to say "no southern accents", "no Texas drawl", "no New York / New Jersey accents", "no upper midwest scandinavian sounding accents" or "no down east Maine accents" or "no ethnic urban sounding accents". Would we have language police in the airport aisles?
The minor speech differences based upon what part of the country or what state an individual is from is not the problem. The problem is with individuals who cannot speak conversational English clearly. Now, I have traveled to many countries throughout the world and HAVE NEVER EVER, heard a Public Address Announcement at any Airport in Undiscernable French, Italian, German, Spanish or any other language. This sort of thing only happens in this country.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:19 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,419,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
These minor speech differences based upon what part of the country or what state an individual is from is not the problem. The problem is with individuals who cannot speak conversational English clearly. Now, I have traveled to many countries throughout the world and HAVE NEVER EVER, heard a Public Address Announcement at any Airport in Undiscernable French, Italian, German, Spanish or any other language. This sort of thing only happens in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or