U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,074 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am a 24 year old female looking for a new place to live with my boyfriend. We currently live in Santa Fe, and it is absolutely gorgeous here but everything shuts down early, cost of living is pretty high and the population is mostly older than us and we have had a hard time meeting people.

I want to live in a place that has the kind of outdoor activities SF does. Camping, hiking, etc. I like to have some land on my property and prefer house living just outside of downtown over apartment, downtown living. We do also want somewhere that has a lot of local shops and restaurants, museums, and a decent music scene to explore. We have a Vespa, so a scooter friendly city is preferable, especially one where I could commute on it often. I am not good with lots of snow and brutal winters, but I don't mind the occasional snowfall. I'd like to live somewhere with a younger (20s and 30s), liberal minded population where I could buy a house and raise a family somewhere down the road.

I know that is a lot to ask for and don't even know if a place like this exists but would love to hear you suggestions, so I at least have a starting point for my search. We are probably going to stay in sf for 2 years and then head out somewhere else, but I figured I might as well start looking now! Thanks for any ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:14 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,094,041 times
Check out Austin it has a great music scene just about every bar/club in town has live music also in October we have Austin City Limits Music Festival and in March there's South By Southwest you can go hiking in the greenbelts or parks in the area there's also several art museums.

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB

GACC | The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce :: Austin, Texas

City of Austin - Parks and Recreation Department: Greenbelts

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f.../hill_country/

6th street austin, texas

ACL Music Festival ~ Oct. 8-10, 2010 ~ Zilker Park, Austin, Texas

SXSW.com

Blanton Museum of Art : University of Texas at Austin

Austin Museum of Art:

Welcome to the Elisabet Ney Museum

Austin Museum Partnership : Home

SoCo (South Congress) Shopping District

Old 07-18-2010, 01:27 PM

21,204 posts, read 30,412,852 times
Nashville. It has a young, creative and liberal population, an excellent music scene that isn't just all about country-western, a low cost of living and it's very friendly/welcoming.

Nashville, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-20-2010, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,074 times
My boyfriend is interested in Austin as he was there for a month with work. He said there were tons of scoots! I am originally from Texas though and would prefer to try another state.

I never really thought of Nashville as a liberal, young place but I think I will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:21 AM

56,696 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Ithaca, NY(besides the snow/winter somewhat): Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Ithaca

Ithaca, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or