Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which do you prefer?
ozarks 21 53.85%
porcupine mountains 18 46.15%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,173,979 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer and why? Please feel free to post pictures. I have none
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 PM

26,377 posts, read 46,260,872 times
I always prefer the Northwoods, the Porcupine Mountains in the UP of Michigan. I also prefer the natural lakes in that region compare to the muddy reservoirs that count as "lakes" in the southern tier of the US. I always tell them to take a trip to the north to see the real thing.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:36 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,568,199 times
I'm guessing that more people have been to the Ozarks, since the Porcupine Mountains are "out of the way," way up in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

The Ozarks have higher peaks, around 2500 feet, compared to about 2000 ft in the Porcupine mountains. I also think the Ozarks cover a much larger area, although you might be able to include the Huron Mountains with the Porcupines, as I believe they are related somehow.

I am with GraniteStater, you can't beat the Northwoods for beauty. The tree types in the U.P. are beautiful. Sugar Maple, paper birch, aspen, hemlock, pine... the colors in the fall would be much more vivid than in the Ozarks. Also, it is true that the Porcupines have natural lakes, while any lake in the Ozarks would be man-made.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,724,696 times
Porcupine Mountains by a wide margin, for all the same reasons mentioned in the two posts above mine already.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,173,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I always prefer the Northwoods, the Porcupine Mountains in the UP of Michigan. I also prefer the natural lakes in that region compare to the muddy reservoirs that count as "lakes" in the southern tier of the US. I always tell them to take a trip to the north to see the real thing.
Tablerock lake is not muddy. It's very clear.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 AM

374 posts, read 809,050 times
I was raised in Ozarks, so I am biased. But the Ozarks have a well defined traditional culture, our own music, our own dialect. I also prefer southern pines and milder winters. We may not have natural lakes, but the clear White River in the summer is one of my favorite places. And we do have Blanchard Springs caverns the Ozark National forest on our side. Probably more of a tourist draw than the Porcupines.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,067,273 times
Quote:
I wouldn't exactly call the Ozarks the southern tier....they aren't on the Gulf Coast, and they really encompass the center of the country. Regardless, I like both...the ozarks and porcupines are concrete proof that the Midwest isn't just flat farmland and prairie. The only problem is, the porcupines are on the northern edge of it, while the ozarks are on the southern edge and also extend into the south.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Tablerock lake is not muddy. It's very clear.
Table Rock has NOTHING in common with a naturally occurring oligotrophic lake in the Northwoods. Take a trip to northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan and write back on the topic.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I wouldn't exactly call the Ozarks the southern tier....they aren't on the Gulf Coast, and they really encompass the center of the country. Regardless, I like both...the ozarks and porcupines are concrete proof that the Midwest isn't just flat farmland and prairie. The only problem is, the porcupines are on the northern edge of it, while the ozarks are on the southern edge and also extend into the south.
Most naturally occuring lakes in the eastern US are found at a latitude of 42 degrees northward. I just don't understand why so many like reservoirs when they can easily be inundated with water during a flood and the dam could break. A naturally occurring lake will generally flood more gradually so properties with reservoir frontage are far more vulnerable to flood and less desirable.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:18 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,067,273 times
Quote:
Most naturally occuring lakes in the eastern US are found at a latitude of 42 degrees northward. I just don't understand why so many like reservoirs when they can easily be inundated with water during a flood and the dam could break. A naturally occurring lake will generally flood more gradually so properties with reservoir frontage are far more vulnerable to flood and less desirable.
I think the average person doesn't really care about what's manmade and what isn't when it comes to lakes. The Lake of the Ozarks is an excellent vacation resort and it's not manmade. You can enjoy all the amenities on there that you can on a natural lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.