U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2010, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
1,709 posts, read 2,651,057 times
Reputation: 1195

Advertisements

Among those who think that the word "illegals" is offensive, this would definitely give Arizona a bad rap, but does it honestly matter? I wouldn't expect those types to go to Arizona anyway. It isn't like the state is known for attracting stereotypical liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,412 posts, read 8,235,465 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
You're not kidding anyone. I know you like to attack anything that doesn't fall into line with your political way of thinking as you've demonstrated in your many other posts. Let's also not forget that the many unanswered letters that Jan Brewer sent to DC begging for more border security and money from the federal government for paying the bill that THEY should have paid were also signed by Arnold Schwarzenegger (Gov. of CA), Bill Richardson (Gov of NM) and Rick Perry (Gov. of TX).

If I were you, I'd be more embarrassed about your love for CA, which truly is the laughing stock of America. Let's not forget that CA doesn't have a stellar reputation when it comes to the topic of racism - Rodney King ring a bell? Lastly, please brush up on your history. I would like for you to respond with the examples of racism going back decades in AZ, and please do not confuse racism with anything else such as government not wanting to pay for an additional holiday during the year - replacing Columbus Day for MLK Day, as well as who has the authority to create a new paid holiday...the governor or the legislature. Yes, we've had our own losers in power (Mecham), but what states haven't?
I understand how "thin-skinned" residents of Arizona are since their state is often the butt of jokes and not just far left comedians\ political commentators. Ever listen to Jay Leno and David Letterman? Are they super liberal? It is only natural to be defensive but you must keep things in perspective. Do you know how many concerts have been canceled in Arizona just because of the new immigrant law? You must admit that Arizona is taking a hit during hard times because many entertainers are uncomfortable performing in your state. What other state in America has ever had these kinds of boycotts?

The area I agree with you is securing the border and the federal government has been derelict for decades. If the border is closed the issue of illegal immigration will be solved. I don't understand why this has not been done.

Don't start throwing rocks at California. We know it has it's own problems but you know that there is absolutely no comparison between the two states. Arizona lives in the huge shadow of California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,453,515 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Arizona is by no means a southern state. There is no collard greens, grits, southern accents or anything like that out here. The only thing we have in common with the southern states is that we share the Sun Belt and Snowbirds with them.

AL, MS and GA don't have a massive immigration problem on the scale that Arizona does.

what Im saying is that AZ is located in the Southern part of the USA, it is located on the Mexican border, it is in the South, just not "The South", you're killing me smalls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,643 posts, read 7,445,655 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I understand how "thin-skinned" residents of Arizona are since their state is often the butt of jokes and not just far left comedians\ political commentators. Ever listen to Jay Leno and David Letterman? Are they super liberal? It is only natural to be defensive but you must keep things in perspective. Do you know how many concerts have been canceled in Arizona just because of the new immigrant law? You must admit that Arizona is taking a hit during hard times because many entertainers are uncomfortable performing in your state. What other state in America has ever had these kinds of boycotts?

The area I agree with you is securing the border and the federal government has been derelict for decades. If the border is closed the issue of illegal immigration will be solved. I don't understand why this has not been done.

Don't start throwing rocks at California. We know it has it's own problems but you know that there is absolutely no comparison between the two states. Arizona lives in the huge shadow of California.
Boohoo...so some concerts were canceled. I can't control the ignorance of entertainers who wish to jump on the band wagon just to get a little publicity for themselves.

Please remember that you were the one start criticizing Arizona before anybody mentioned California. Arizona does live in the huge shadow of California. A state that is only a shadow of what it once was who's shadow unfortunately stretches a far distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,643 posts, read 7,445,655 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
So, prior to passing this law, AZ was training toddlers to overthrow the gov't?

Are you saying that Latino and Native American children should be taught lies about Christopher Columbus discovering America so as to spare the feelings of white children, who might be offended to find out he was a murdering rapist? Or should Black children not be informed that AZ was the only state to oppose a Dr. King holiday back in the late 80's and early 90's?
There is nothing wrong with holding on to your heritage (I wish I held on to more of my Irish, English, German, Italian, and Native American heritage) or knowing the true history of all things; however, I fail to see what this has to do with classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people, and if you think that doesn't happen, you're sadly mistaken. How is that type of activity really productive? By agreeing to these type of classes, would you be OK with a caucasian-studies class or Western European Class that shows resentment towards a race or class of people who also show resentment?

Please read this: Arizona Bill Targets Classes Promoting Ethnic Resentment

Arizona Bill Targets Classes Promoting Ethnic Resentment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,412 posts, read 8,235,465 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Boohoo...so some concerts were canceled. I can't control the ignorance of entertainers who wish to jump on the band wagon just to get a little publicity for themselves.

Please remember that you were the one start criticizing Arizona before anybody mentioned California. Arizona does live in the huge shadow of California. A state that is only a shadow of what it once was who's shadow unfortunately stretches a far distance.
Sorry for being a bit of a snot but I am Latino and I live in California, so I get irritated by negative comments, too! The OP asked for opinions about Arizona; I voiced them. I may have been crude but I did specify my like for Arizona in my first post. As a Democrat, I dislike the discrimination that only a minority in America knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,643 posts, read 7,445,655 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Sorry for being a bit of a snot but I am Latino and I live in California, so I get irritated by negative comments, too! The OP asked for opinions about Arizona; I voiced them. I may have been crude but I did specify my like for Arizona in my first post. As a Democrat, I dislike the discrimination that only a minority in America knows.
Are you a Latino first or an American living in California? And you state that you dislike the discrimination that ONLY a minority in America knows?? Wow...I don't even know where to begin...yes I do. Listen, half of the battle you experience is your own doing by playing the victim card, trying to show the world how horrible life has been for you or what you like to call "your people", how oppressed you are, and what you expect to gain...My advice, get an education, get a job and do it like everybody else has to do it. There are plenty of great role models out there of every race for everyone. With the rapid growth in the Latino population in the U.S., what will happen when you're no longer the minority? Will you still be crying discrimination?

Gay Liam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 PM
 
517 posts, read 1,155,611 times
Reputation: 211
The issue I have with Arizona is that they passed a law banning ethnic studies in classrooms. I guess it's against the law to learn about your heritage in Arizona now. Are they really worried in Arizona that some 9th graders will plot to over take the US govenment? Please......(giant eye roll).

By the way I took an Mexican ethnic studies classes in HS and never once did my teacher speak badly about the US government and our classes had chinese, black, Indain, White, and Mexicans students. I truly enjoyed that class and learned a lot about the history of Mexico that I wouldn't have learned in a US History class. I truly think it's a shame that Arizona is taking these classes away from students.

Last edited by kcee510; 07-19-2010 at 11:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 02:37 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,643 posts, read 7,445,655 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
The issue I have with Arizona is that they passed a law banning ethnic studies in classrooms. I guess it's against the law to learn about your heritage in Arizona now. Are they really worried in Arizona that some 9th graders will plot to over take the US govenment? Please......(giant eye roll).

By the way I took an Mexican ethnic studies classes in HS and never once did my teacher speak badly about the US government and our classes had chinese, black, Indain, White, and Mexicans students. I truly enjoyed that class and learned a lot about the history of Mexico that I wouldn't have learned in a US History class. I truly think it's a shame that Arizona is taking these classes away from students.
Did you actually take the class in Tucson and did you actually read the article I posted about it?

Again: Arizona Bill Targets Classes Promoting Ethnic Resentment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 AM
 
5,767 posts, read 10,299,438 times
Reputation: 3813
It all depends on the state of Arizona's economy. If Arizonans can turn their state's economy around and turn it back into an engine of jobs and growth, the workers will come. If not, they'll keep their distance. Tourism is also more affected by the overall economy than specific policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top