U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:40 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,148,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
This video has been overposted numerous times in many different forums...Bill Maher is a doofus.

Whatever. I thought the point of this thread was to discuss whether AZ's recent legislative track record has given the state a bad rap? Apparently, it has as there are numerous entertainers joining Maher in their condemnation of AZ.

Musicians' 'Sound Strike' Targets Arizona Immigration Law : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 AM

5,643 posts, read 7,446,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Whatever. I thought the point of this thread was to discuss whether AZ's recent legislative track record has given the state a bad rap? Apparently, it has as there are numerous entertainers joining Maher in their condemnation of AZ.

Musicians' 'Sound Strike' Targets Arizona Immigration Law : NPR
Um...you're the one posting Bill Maher videos. So numerous entertainers and the nutjob Maher have condemned AZ. Who cares? It really surprises me that some people are really stupid enough to buy into the idea that these entertainers REALLY care. As we've already addressed, we can't control the ignorance of these entertainers who are jumping on the bandwagon just to get a little publicity for themselves. If these entertainers were TRULY concerned about the "plight" of the illegals, they would be in Mexico attempted to solve the many problems in that country that has led to the many illegal immigrants sneaking through our borders.

In addition they (and you) might want to read the Federal immigration law as it DOES NOT prohibit racial profiling. In addition, before it was deemed unconstitutional and not enforced, the California immigration law also DID NOT prohibit racial profiling.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:21 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,236,814 times
Quote:
Um...you're the one posting Bill Maher videos. So numerous entertainers and the nutjob Maher have condemned AZ. Who cares? It really surprises me that some people are really stupid enough to buy into the idea that these entertainers REALLY care. As we've already addressed, we can't control the ignorance of these entertainers who are jumping on the bandwagon just to get a little publicity for themselves. If these entertainers were TRULY concerned about the "plight" of the illegals, they would be in Mexico attempted to solve the many problems in that country that has led to the many illegal immigrants sneaking through our borders.

In addition they (and you) might want to read the Federal immigration law as it DOES NOT prohibit racial profiling. In addition, before it was deemed unconstitutional and not enforced, the California immigration law also DID NOT prohibit racial profiling.
That's your opinion. It reminds me of how conservatives claim it's only the "liberal media" when they are criticized. The funny thing is that only one news sources is not considered liberal [Fox News] but all the other networks and big city newspapers are the enemy.

Right now Arizona has a horrible reputation for a variety of reasons and comedians exploit it for humor. To be the butt of countless jokes isn't something to be taken lightly. I can not think of any state that has as much negative attention.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That's your opinion. It reminds me of how conservatives claim it's only the "liberal media" when they are criticized. The funny thing is that only one news sources is not considered liberal [Fox News] but all the other networks and big city newspapers are the enemy.

Right now Arizona has a horrible reputation for a variety of reasons and comedians exploit it for humor. To be the butt of countless jokes isn't something to be taken lightly. I can not think of any state that has as much negative attention.
What's my opinion? That some people are stupid enough to buy into the idea that these "entertainers" really care, the fact that Bill Maher and his celeb friends are ignorant, the fact that none of them care as much about slamming Mexico than AZ, or is it the fact that they are just interested in exploiting AZ because it is humorous? Don't think too hard.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
What's my opinion? That some people are stupid enough to buy into the idea that these "entertainers" really care, the fact that Bill Maher and his celeb friends are ignorant, the fact that none of them care as much about slamming Mexico than AZ, or is it the fact that they are just interested in exploiting AZ because it is humorous? Don't think too hard.
There you go again. You can try as hard as possible to minimize the situation but each battle makes Arizona defenders look more and more pathetic. I suppose you will try to minimize the fact that every large city in California and some fairly small cities have condemned Arizona. Add to that list: Boston, Austin, Boulder, St. Paul, El Paso, Las Cruces, Milwaukee, WashingtonDC, Seattle, Hartford, Columbus, Ohio, etc. Even Arizona cities are angry with their own state: Flagstaff and others. Add to that scores of organizations.

Arizona has a black eye and there is no way you can try to cover that up!

Old 07-24-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
There you go again. You can try as hard as possible to minimize the situation but each battle makes Arizona defenders look more and more pathetic. I suppose you will try to minimize the fact that every large city in California and some fairly small cities have condemned Arizona. Add to that list: Boston, Austin, Boulder, St. Paul, El Paso, Las Cruces, Milwaukee, WashingtonDC, Seattle, Hartford, Columbus, Ohio, etc. Even Arizona cities are angry with their own state: Flagstaff and others. Add to that scores of organizations.

Arizona has a black eye and there is no way you can try to cover that up!
LOL...Are you even aware of the difference between ignorant city officials declaring a boycott and the actual opinions of the residents of those cities? I am guessing not, but no surprise there. This information has been handing to you over and over and over again, yet you seem to be blinded by it. Even the liberal media has acknowledged in polls that more Americans are supporting AZ than not. Why don't we take this into the Illegal Immigration Forum so you can get an idea of other peoples' thoughts (I'm not good at leading the blind)?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/

Old 07-24-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
LOL...Are you even aware of the difference between ignorant city officials declaring a boycott and the actual opinions of the residents of those cities? I am guessing not, but no surprise there. This information has been handing to you over and over and over again, yet you seem to be blinded by it. Even the liberal media has acknowledged in polls that more Americans are supporting AZ than not. Why don't we take this into the Illegal Immigration Forum so you can get an idea of other peoples' thoughts (I'm not good at leading the blind)?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/
Everyone is ignorant but people from Arizona! That is funnier than anything the many comics say about Arizona. Some people live in their own little worlds.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:33 AM
JBM

558 posts, read 932,019 times
A lot of people say they should come here legally in the first place, and i COMPLETELY agree. BUT, I do not for a second believe in our system. IT IS A COMPLETE, TOTAL FAILURE!

Let me explain what I feel about this.

First off, I know a family who have been in the United States legally from South Africa for over 10 years. Still, they are having massive troubles getting citizenship. They've tried to get their grandmother into the US, but getting a Visa is terribly harder than it should be. I'll stop there, cause I don't want to get into personal areas..

Most people that tried to enter legally could not, so they HAD to come here illegally. Think, if any of you or your families were starving or could not find work, and all that separated you from a job was an imaginary line, wouldn't YOU jump that border too? We need new immigration laws is what we need. It needs to be easy for these people to enter and obtain Visas. After so many years, they could renew this visa or apply for permanent residency. All i know is the reason people are coming here originates not even in OUR immigration laws, but in the failure of Mexico's government in providing for its own people. I've always thought, maybe just maybe, if we poured money into Mexico and helped that country turn around its economy and its terrible situation in crime and drugs, it'd help both countries, and even though the cost would be big, it'd pay off down the line.

I know some people say they're a tax burden, but there's several studied that show they contribute more in sales tax and other such taxes than they take out of the government... Just something to think about. I think whatever happens should be completely humane, and treat people with respect and dignity. We need to realize that these people did not jump the border to take advantage of us, they're not villains, they just need to find a way to live.

As for the original question for the thread, I think Arizona has always had a bad rap. maybe i'm just a biased New Mexican, but of course they have a bad rap. To quote the greatest of all TV Shows, "Arrested Development," "I'd rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona!" I don't think Arizona needed immigration laws to have a bad rap hahaha Just kidding, of course.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:07 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,371,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
A lot of people say they should come here legally in the first place, and i COMPLETELY agree. BUT, I do not for a second believe in our system. IT IS A COMPLETE, TOTAL FAILURE!

Let me explain what I feel about this.

First off, I know a family who have been in the United States legally from South Africa for over 10 years. Still, they are having massive troubles getting citizenship. They've tried to get their grandmother into the US, but getting a Visa is terribly harder than it should be. I'll stop there, cause I don't want to get into personal areas..

Most people that tried to enter legally could not, so they HAD to come here illegally. Think, if any of you or your families were starving or could not find work, and all that separated you from a job was an imaginary line, wouldn't YOU jump that border too? We need new immigration laws is what we need. It needs to be easy for these people to enter and obtain Visas. After so many years, they could renew this visa or apply for permanent residency. All i know is the reason people are coming here originates not even in OUR immigration laws, but in the failure of Mexico's government in providing for its own people. I've always thought, maybe just maybe, if we poured money into Mexico and helped that country turn around its economy and its terrible situation in crime and drugs, it'd help both countries, and even though the cost would be big, it'd pay off down the line.

I know some people say they're a tax burden, but there's several studied that show they contribute more in sales tax and other such taxes than they take out of the government... Just something to think about. I think whatever happens should be completely humane, and treat people with respect and dignity. We need to realize that these people did not jump the border to take advantage of us, they're not villains, they just need to find a way to live.

As for the original question for the thread, I think Arizona has always had a bad rap. maybe i'm just a biased New Mexican, but of course they have a bad rap. To quote the greatest of all TV Shows, "Arrested Development," "I'd rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona!" I don't think Arizona needed immigration laws to have a bad rap hahaha Just kidding, of course.
Its very hard , and it should be easier. But are govt is retarded and doesn't care about us , hasn't for decades..... Majority of immigrants to this Country could bring new types of jobs or trades with them. There not much more a tax burden as ppl make them out to be. They tend to shop alot , and take Mass Transit. I think Arizona has another problem / bad rap its growing to fast and its unsuitable. You have a small water source and are abusing it. I think Arizona scape goated the Illegal immigrants , lets face it , its a recession. They take the jobs we Americans are too lazy to get. They seem to create more crime , when in fact its not much more then legal immigrants & Citizens. Arizona blames its drug problem on the illegals when in fact its driven by us Americans , its supply and demand. 95% of Immigrants aren't drug runners...... Hopefully by the end of the decade or sooner we will have easier immigration laws.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:58 AM

542 posts, read 790,808 times
I still do not understand why people are bashing AZ for this. It's the law for goodness sake. As I stated in my earlier post, I wouldn't expect to be able to enter Mexico or Canada illegally, why should we let people enter ours? And illegal immigration denigrates those that do try to come here legally. I think they are probably just as ticked off. I do think that some form of amnesty should be implemented to quickly process the illegals and get them legal and then start enforcing our borders seriously. But maybe some people are pissed becaues they're worried they will lose cheap labor that they're too lazy or "good" to do themselves, or they get a high and mighty feeling for whatever reason by crying "racial profiling". Personally, I'm sick of political correctness. Peoples feelings are going to get hurt eventually, theres no way around it. So suck it up and deal with it. It'll only build character, which many lack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or