Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I would like for you to respond with the examples of racism going back decades in AZ
This only goes back 1.3 decades, which might be enough of a reason for opponents of SB1070 to show some concern:

Chandler Roundup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:39 AM

8,625 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
This only goes back 1.3 decades, which might be enough of a reason for opponents of SB1070 to show some concern:

Chandler Roundup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm sure Arizona and the federal government has learned its lesson from that as it was described as "the only major ethnic profiling incident actually related to immigration" (make that illegal immigration) while being a joint operation between local law enforcement officers and federal authorities. Speaking of law enforcement, I found this to be quite interesting:

SB 1070 Challenger Has Questionable Police Past
http://www.kpho.com/news/24292722/detail.html

Last edited by AZLiam; 07-19-2010 at 01:58 AM..

Old 07-19-2010, 02:51 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Re: the thread's title,

Arizona will continue to lose favor amongst some left-wingers and some Hispanics. Arizona will gain favor amongst the anti-illegal immigration folks. My main concern is the national uproar that this law has caused.

I think all of this is unnecessary, we shouldn't need laws to enforce laws. Law enforcement has profiled people before this law, and will profile people after this law. It's possible (though unlikely) that I could be profiled as an illegal immigrant, but I have nothing to worry about, though I would be more than a little bothered by having been profiled. Every illegal knows that they are illegal, and they know they face the possibility of slipping up and getting deported every single day, SB1070 or no SB1070.

It's possible that some of the fervent supporters are indeed racist/prejudiced, and are using the passage of this law to promote/celebrate/etc. their ideologies, and to an extent it's possible that some supporters' underlying reason for supporting the law is racially/ethnically/nationalistically/culturally/linguistically motivated. It's very possible that some legal U.S. residents will be profiled, detained, and/or questioned about their legal status. I understand how Hispanics feel targeted by this law, as it is they who this law will affect the most, legal or not.

Nonetheless, the illegals know they are breaking the law by being here....it's a risk they take every day, though they aren't exactly in a position to complain about it.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:20 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
Quote:

Arizona will continue to lose favor amongst some left-wingers and some Hispanics. Arizona will gain favor amongst the anti-illegal immigration folks. My main concern is the national uproar that this law has caused.

I think all of this is unnecessary, we shouldn't need laws to enforce laws. Law enforcement has profiled people before this law, and will profile people after this law. It's possible (though unlikely) that I could be profiled as an illegal immigrant, but I have nothing to worry about, though I would be more than a little bothered by having been profiled. Every illegal knows that they are illegal, and they know they face the possibility of slipping up and getting deported every single day, SB1070 or no SB1070.

It's possible that some of the fervent supporters are indeed racist/prejudiced, and are using the passage of this law to promote/celebrate/etc. their ideologies, and to an extent it's possible that some supporters' underlying reason for supporting the law is racially/ethnically/nationalistically/culturally/linguistically motivated. It's very possible that some legal U.S. residents will be profiled, detained, and/or questioned about their legal status. I understand how Hispanics feel targeted by this law, as it is they who this law will affect the most, legal or not.

Nonetheless, the illegals know they are breaking the law by being here....it's a risk they take every day, though they aren't exactly in a position to complain about it.
My thought is that it will wedge states more and more against each other while really doing nothing to get at the root of the problem. It ties into a general trend that really started around 2000 of different states and regions growing too seperate and distant from each other to the point weather a divorce is going to happen in the future.

If any really wants to do anything they would extremly raise the penalties for people hiring illegal immigrants. Make it so severe that companies who knowingly hire illegals should have their business liscense revoked and all assets siezed by the government. The people involved should have nearly all personal assets siezed and banned from owning a business permanently and even consider revoking citizenship status. It would apply equally if its a small contractor or Fortune 500 company and would be a method of stopping illegal immigration flat by killing its source.

Another thing that should be tied into it is deal with streamlining and making more efficent the processes of legally immigrating. I would also tie in how many people are allowed to immigrate with unemployment levels, so for example right now I would consider basically zero immigration with exceptions for refugee/humanitarian reasons and particular labor shortages in certain fields. (though not being able to use it as a means of not hiring residents to hire an immigrant for cheap)

Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 AM

8,625 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:

David, I agree that we shouldn't need laws to enforce laws. The federal government has completely dropped the ball in enforcing its own immigration laws, has failed to follow through on promises of securing the border, and has pretty much left states to fend for themselves, especially when it comes to the costs associated with illegal immigration. Sure there are some fervent supporters who happen to be racist just like there are some fervent supporters on the other end who truly believe that Arizona land should revert back to Mexico, hate Americans, and there are those who will use every resource or excuse to try to play the victim or cry racism in order to bypass playing by the rules to become citizens which is a slap in the face to all those immigrants who wait in line to become citizens. It also makes the government look as though they can pick and choose which laws and rules they wish to enforce and for which groups of people.

I truly believe that the impetus for AZ presenting SB1070 wasn't so that states could try to trump federal law (obviously SB1070 is designed to mirror federal law even though federal law states that it is OK to profile), but to put some fire under the federal government and say, "Hey, wake up! We've been trying to get your attention for quite some time now". All one needs to do is look at the stack of letters both Janet Napolitano and Jan Brewer had sent to DC (and some signed by Schwarzenegger, Richardson, and Perry) that went unanswered. Unfortunately, the government is more concerned with it's power than serving the people.

The REAL problems lies in the fact that the public servants that we all vote into power really aren't concerned about our best interests. They are more concerned about how they are going to get or maintain their votes to stay in power rather than concerning themselves with why we voted them into power in the first place. It's staring us right in the face.

The state of AZ will get negative publicity because the liberal media paints AZ to be such a racist state. There's a different story when you actually live here. With the Latino population a very large percentage in AZ, it is hard to not be friends with Latinos or even someone who isn't here legally. I have a few gay friends who aren't here legally; however, they know they should be here legally and they know it is against the law to enter the country illegally.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:10 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
I still love me my Arizona. Flagstaff I will be visiting you soon. You can have as many of my dollars as you want (unfortunately it is not that much )

Old 07-19-2010, 09:41 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
If someone is here illegally, that is a crime. There are also penalties for companies who employ illegal immigrants. Do you read current events at all?
Quote:
Employers found guilty of a first violation of knowingly employing an unauthorized alien may be ordered to terminate their employment. They also face suspension of their licenses, unless the company files a sworn affidavit with the county attorney, stating that the employer has terminated the person(s) and that the employer will not intentionally or knowingly employ an unauthorized alien.
Yea, those penalties sound really harsh.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:49 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Again, Arizona limiting ethnic studies in public schools was to forbid elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people, and I thinking you agree that promoting resentment of other racial groups is not a good thing, right? Do groups like Reconquistas ring a bell for you? Perhaps you don't have to deal with that sort of stuff in Milwaukee...

The far left and liberal media will have you believe that the majority of Americans (and those who aren't actually legal citizens here) are against SB1070, and that simply isn't the case with the legal citizens of the U.S.
So, prior to passing this law, AZ was training toddlers to overthrow the gov't?

Are you saying that Latino and Native American children should be taught lies about Christopher Columbus discovering America so as to spare the feelings of white children, who might be offended to find out he was a murdering rapist? Or should Black children not be informed that AZ was the only state to oppose a Dr. King holiday back in the late 80's and early 90's?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Anything that means people quit moving to AZ, I'm all for. Visit all you want...just go home. Unless you are from Alabama. LOL

Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Arizona has the right to protect the safety of its citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.