Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
technically it is a Southern state cause it is located in the Southern part of the USA, but you mis-understood what I was saying, I said that Im sure most people thought that a Southern state like AL,MS,GA would have a law like this before AZ which is a western state.
Arizona is by no means a southern state. There is no collard greens, grits, southern accents or anything like that out here. The only thing we have in common with the southern states is that we share the Sun Belt and Snowbirds with them.

AL, MS and GA don't have a massive immigration problem on the scale that Arizona does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 10:50 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
My ancestors have been in Arizona for over 15,000 years and it is offensive when I see white recent transplants with a strong feel of entitlement single me out for not being pasty white.

It is racism plain and simple.

Arizona has been hijacked by extremist alien white christian fundamentalist.
Hmmm...ok. Arizona hasn't even been a state for 150 years, let alone 15,000 years. If you're speaking about the people who were considered "native" to this land, Arizona was probably first visited by Paleo-Indians, known to have been in southern Arizona by about 12,000 years ago. Where you came up with over 15,000 years, I have no idea.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Arizona limiting ethnic studies in public schools was to forbid elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people, and I thinking you agree that promoting resentment of other racial groups is not a good thing, right? Let Bill Maher talk his trash. For every one Bill Maher, there are 5 American citizens who support AZ. As far as "celebrities" are concerned, well, this is just publicity for them, and we'll remember when they ask for support at the ticket or box offices.
I don't like to attack another state especially when I really admire the beauty of Arizona. But the attention Arizona is getting for a variety of reasons make it stick out in an unflattering way and so unlike the states that surround it. The governors of Nevada, California, New Mexico, Colorado and Texas have also expressed regret over how Arizona conducts business. I would be embarrassed if I lived in Arizona. The racism goes back decades and was only stirred up intentionally or otherwise all the more by the recent immigrant law. If TV commentators and entertainers go out of their way to deride and criticize your state then I would start wondering about the intelligence of your state's legislators.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:25 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Let them have seriously curbed the Italian/Irish immigration in this country & understand how many of your ancestors would have never given birth to your over privileged, overly important selves. Better yet................. Understand how many of them would have been "illegal aliens".
South American "illegal" immigrants are some of the hardest working people I know.
It's the most pathetic wedge issue in American politics. It's cake for unfulfilled, bitter, middle aged white voters.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:31 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Why doesn't AZ institute harsh penalties for companies who employ illegal immigrants rather than harass people with dark skin complexions?

Old 07-19-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Arizona is by no means a southern state. There is no collard greens, grits, southern accents or anything like that out here. The only thing we have in common with the southern states is that we share the Sun Belt and Snowbirds with them.
Don't forget overt racism.

ASLAPR - Helpful Links - About Arizona

Arizona bill targeting ethnic studies signed into law - Los Angeles Times

Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 AM

YouTube - Bill Maher American Makeover for Illegal Immigrants

Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't like to attack another state especially when I really admire the beauty of Arizona. But the attention Arizona is getting for a variety of reasons make it stick out in an unflattering way and so unlike the states that surround it. The governors of Nevada, California, New Mexico, Colorado and Texas have also expressed regret over how Arizona conducts business. I would be embarrassed if I lived in Arizona. The racism goes back decades and was only stirred up intentionally or otherwise all the more by the recent immigrant law. If TV commentators and entertainers go out of their way to deride and criticize your state then I would start wondering about the intelligence of your state's legislators.
You're not kidding anyone. I know you like to attack anything that doesn't fall into line with your political way of thinking as you've demonstrated in your many other posts. Let's also not forget that the many unanswered letters that Jan Brewer sent to DC begging for more border security and money from the federal government for paying the bill that THEY should have paid were also signed by Arnold Schwarzenegger (Gov. of CA), Bill Richardson (Gov of NM) and Rick Perry (Gov. of TX).

If I were you, I'd be more embarrassed about your love for CA, which truly is the laughing stock of America. Let's not forget that CA doesn't have a stellar reputation when it comes to the topic of racism - Rodney King ring a bell? Lastly, please brush up on your history. I would like for you to respond with the examples of racism going back decades in AZ, and please do not confuse racism with anything else such as government not wanting to pay for an additional holiday during the year - replacing Columbus Day for MLK Day, as well as who has the authority to create a new paid holiday...the governor or the legislature. Yes, we've had our own losers in power (Mecham), but what states haven't?

Last edited by AZLiam; 07-19-2010 at 01:33 AM..

Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why doesn't AZ institute harsh penalties for companies who employ illegal immigrants rather than harass people with dark skin complexions?
If someone is here illegally, that is a crime. There are also penalties for companies who employ illegal immigrants. Do you read current events at all?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:23 AM

Again, Arizona limiting ethnic studies in public schools was to forbid elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are "designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group" and advocate "the overthrow of the United States government" or "resentment toward a race or class of people, and I thinking you agree that promoting resentment of other racial groups is not a good thing, right? Do groups like Reconquistas ring a bell for you? Perhaps you don't have to deal with that sort of stuff in Milwaukee...

The far left and liberal media will have you believe that the majority of Americans (and those who aren't actually legal citizens here) are against SB1070, and that simply isn't the case with the legal citizens of the U.S.

Last edited by AZLiam; 07-19-2010 at 01:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.