U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:31 AM

18,648 posts, read 27,082,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Ok then tell me, what does Tifton GA have in common with Boynton Beach FL? Culturally they are pretty much nothing a like, and thats what this thread is about correct? The OP said he doesn't see how Maine and Pittsburg can be in the same region cause they are not alike.. Same goes with the southern half of FL and the rest of the south.
Why just pick out Boyton Beach? Why not Clewiston, Florida which is also in South Florida. Hell, Victoria, Texas and Columbia, South Carolina do not have much in common. But they are still in the same Southern region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 12:02 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,925,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why just pick out Boyton Beach? Why not Clewiston, Florida which is also in South Florida. Hell, Victoria, Texas and Columbia, South Carolina do not have much in common. But they are still in the same Southern region.
I think his argument was sort of weak because he compared an undeveloped area that's landlocked with a beach town type of place in a populated area. Tifton doesn't have much in common with Brookhaven, Decatur, Marietta, or even Hapeville and they are all in GA! He should have compared Boynton Beach to Myrtle Beach but that's just my opinion.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:03 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,139,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To be fair though, Victoria and Columbia probably have more alike at the core than somplace in small town Georgia does with South Florida. Though I do see where you are coming from. I feel like the country should be split into four or five regions, then each of those regions should have sub-regions. That's the only fair way to do it I think.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:19 PM

13,422 posts, read 16,981,227 times
Why does the country have to be split into regions at all? What's the point? It's counterproductive and self-destructive. We are one UNITED nation made up of 50 unique individual STATES. Why can't that be enough?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,306,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why does the country have to be split into regions at all? What's the point? It's counterproductive and self-destructive. We are one UNITED nation made up of 50 unique individual STATES. Why can't that be enough?
I agree

Old 07-18-2010, 03:03 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Quote:
Good call, Newsboy.

I'm with ya.....we are a united nation before anything else. We should always keep this reality in the forefront of all of these regional discussions.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,125,548 times
Quote:
Let me say first of all that yes, were ARE the United States. Most of us are very proud of being so, and when it comes down to the brass tacks, we all fight on the same side of the creek.

Reminds me a bit of when the 9/11 terrorist attack occured. I was with a group of my buddies that next weekend (all members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans) for our annual get-together. We were watching the news and that classic clip was played, where the band, outside of Buckingham Palace, played the National Anthem. There wasn't a dry eye amongst us, and one of the guys said something to the effect of "New York may be yankee...but by damn they are OUR yankees..."

Anyway, I don't see anything counter-productive at all about divisions into natural historical and cultural regions. Some states are more connected with others in that realm. And what is wrong with that? I don't know of many countries which dont have the same type deliniations.

Outlining regions with the United States is not inherently divisive. It simply reflects reality of different settlement patterns, history, culture, traditions, and etc. That can't be erased and shouldn't be. New England has its own sense of identity, as does the South. What is wrong with that? It is just the next level up from the uniqueness of the individual states themselves.

BTW -- here is that clip from outside Buckingham Palace. Will bring tears to a glass eye..

YouTube - 9/11 American National Anthem Buckingham Palace

Old 07-18-2010, 09:59 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,590,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Western South - Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisana
Deep South ---- Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina
Upper South ---- Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina
except that the "western south" is not necessarily opposite the "deep south". the opposite of the western south is the southeast, but the deep south is found in either one:

western south: texas, oklahoma, arkansas, and louisiana
southeast: mississippi, alabama, georgia, tennessee, the carolinas, and florida
deep south: louisiana, mississippi, alabama, the non-appalachian parts of georgia and s. carolina, north florida, east texas, and the southern and/or delta parts of tennessee and arkansas

Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,125,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
except that the "western south" is not necessarily opposite the "deep south". the opposite of the western south is the southeast, but the deep south is found in either one:

western south: texas, oklahoma, arkansas, and louisiana
southeast: mississippi, alabama, georgia, tennessee, the carolinas, and florida
deep south: louisiana, mississippi, alabama, the non-appalachian parts of georgia and s. carolina, north florida, east texas, and the southern and/or delta parts of tennessee and arkansas
Well put, AlGreen! Sub-regions overlap quite a bit. While, as you say, Texas as a whole, is properly considered "western South", East Texas is very much a cultural and historical extension of the Deep South. Or, from another direction (travelling west to east), where the Deep South begins.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:51 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,152,903 times
NORTHEAST
  • New England: CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME
  • Mid Atlantic: NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC*
SOUTHEAST
  • Upper South: MO, KY, WV, VA, TN, NC
  • Deep South: AR, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC
  • Florida
  • Texas
MIDWEST
  • Great Lakes: OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN, IA**
  • Great Plains: ND, SD, NE, KS, OK
WEST
  • Mountain West: MT, ID, WY, UT, CO
  • Desert Southwest: NM, AZ, NV
  • Pacific Northwest: AK, WA, OR
  • California
  • Hawaii
* = not a state
** = not located on the Great Lakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or