U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,276,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I personally think so, aside from the Northeast (and even then - putting Pittsburgh and Maine in the same category), it's hard to say, for example, Oregon and New Mexico, or Ohio and North Dakota, or El Paso and Baltimore - are the "same general area" of the United States. Really there should be at least six regions.

I would say:

the Southwest - California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico
Pacific Northwest: Oregon and Washington
Outlands: Alaska and hawaii
Mountains - Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico
Plains: North dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas
Western South: Texas, Oklahoma
Deep South: Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, S Carolina
New South: Kentucky, N Carolina, W Virginia, Virginia, Florida
Midwest: Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio
Mid-Atlantic: Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York
New England: Connecticut, Vermont, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine
"Deep South" has too many negative connotations...I would go more for "Gulf South", "Mountain South" and "Atlantic South" subregions, with the obvious states falling into each category. Or another possibility would be "South West", "South Central", and "South East". The way you have them set up, the South and Midwest regions seem too large and diverse compared to the others.

The term "New South" was actually coined by Atlanta orator and journalist Henry Grady following the Civil War to promote Atlanta's booming economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,690,021 times
I notice that southerners name the different regions of the South better than do the Midwesterners (yankees)

Old 07-20-2010, 12:34 AM

462 posts, read 583,062 times
I don't think state borders aren't everything. Cities, rivers, climate zones and mountain ranges are important as well.

This is how I see America divided up:
1. New England: MA, ME, NH, VT, CT, eastern upstate NY, and eastern Long Island.
2. Yorkadelphia: Eastern PA, SW CT, NJ, greater NYC and western Long Island
3. DC & Baltimore: MD, NE VA, DE
4. South Atlantic: VA, NC, SC, GA, east of the Appalachians in old colonial boundaries
5. North Appalachia: W PA, WV, Western VA - mining
6. Central Florida: Tampa and Orlando - Theme parks and lakes
7. South Florida: Greater Miami and Naples - Everglades and
8. The Keys: The only part of the Caribbean in the 50 states.
9. The Swampy Gulf: S LA, coastal TX, S AL, W FL, N FL, S GA, S MS, S LA,
10. South Appalachia: NE AL to B-Ham, E TN, N GA, W SC, W NC, E KY
11. Southern Hills: everything between the Ohio River, Appalachians, Tennessee River and Mississippi River
12. The Mississippi River and its Banks: 2 parts - South and North, St. Louis would be the dividing line.
13. Factory land: Everything between the great lakes, Mississippi River, Ohio River, and Appalachians
14. Food land: Everything in the American Great Plains not listed somewhere else. Big farming.
15. East Oklahoma and the Dallas-Houston-San Antonio triangle
16. Southwest: W TX, S CA, S NV, AZ, NM, W OK, S CO, S UT
17. The Central Highlands: S MO and AR
18. The Rockies: N UT and N CO, SW WY
19. The High Plains: E MT, W ND, W SD, E WY, W NE
20. Teddyland (Yellowstone, Jackson Hole): W MT, N ID, NW WY
21. Golden Gate: Bay Area, and vicinity
22. Inland Valleys: Sacramento and San Joaquin in C CA
23. Timber Country: W OR, W WA, N CA
24. The Sierra Nevadas in East-Central CA and W NV
25. Great Basin: NW UT, NV, S ID, parts of S OR

Last edited by Hamtonfordbury; 07-20-2010 at 12:54 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 03:25 AM

11,334 posts, read 17,106,902 times
I don't see how Eastern Long Island (any part of Long Island for that matter) can be considered New England, but it's your opinion. However Long Island has more of a North-South thing rather than an East-West thing.

In my opinion most states fall into different regions, just throwing the whole thing into a single region doesn't always make sense.

Ex: New York is a Mid-Atlantic state yet only 8 counties out of like 50-60 touch the Atlantic Ocean, it's very fitting for the 12 or so counties of Downstate New York. That doesn't really reflect the other sections of the state. New York is also a Great Lakes state and an Appalachian (I know I messed up the spelling) state.

Last edited by Infamous92; 07-20-2010 at 03:35 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 09:22 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,204,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't see how Eastern Long Island (any part of Long Island for that matter) can be considered New England, but it's your opinion. However Long Island has more of a North-South thing rather than an East-West thing.

What is now Suffolk county was colonized by the English as opposed to the Dutch. Also, this area has been very tied to fishing and tourism. It also shares geography with the cape and the islands.

Sooo i get why they might say Eastern Long Island is part of NE, but i still wouldn't agree. Connection to NYC has very much outweighed the new-englandy characteristics i named above.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,747,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
I don't think state borders aren't everything. Cities, rivers, climate zones and mountain ranges are important as well.

West Virginia does not fit your category. While some of the northern counties might align with western PA, the rest does not. Here is the US Census Ancestry map with the Univ. of PA Southern dialect line.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/...9661c655a2.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-08-2014 at 08:25 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,581,022 times
Personally, I see seven regions, but not completely based on grouping whole states together. Many states can be split. Culturally, let's just admit it, we're mostly the same, nor are the differences as pronounced as most on here make them out to be.

There's a Northern/Yankee Culture

There's a Southern Culture

There's a General American Culture

There's an Upper Mid-West/German & Scandinavian-Influenced Culture

There's a French-Influenced Cajun-Southern Culture

There's a Mexican Culture (in areas of high invasion).

There's an Indian/"Native" American Culture

What areas do these general cultural areas encompass?

Northern/Yankee Culture: New England, Eastern New York, & Northern New Jersey

**As far as lifestyle and everyday life goes, the culture is the same as of the general American culture, with the exceptions of the isolated Amish, Mennonite, and Quaker populations. The differences with the Northern/Yankee Culture compared to other cultures lie in the accents, speech, history, heritage, and some cuisine.**

Southern Culture: Southern Maryland, Virginia (minus area near DC), bottom two-thirds of West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Northern Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Southern Missouri, extreme southern Illinois, extreme southern Indiana, most of Texas, most of Oklahoma, parts of Southern Kansas, a small bit of southeast Ohio, and a small sliver of southeast New Mexico.

**As far as lifestyle and everyday life goes, the culture is the same as of the general American culture, with perhaps the exception of some areas of the Appalachian-Southern Sub-Culture. The differences with the South as compared to other regions lie in the accents, speech, religion, history, heritage, and cuisine.**

General American Culture: WA, OR, CA (where few illegal Mexicans live), NV, AZ, UT, ID, MT, WY, CO, NM (exceptions include the far southeastern "southern" parts, as well as parts in the western section of the state that are heavily-filled Indian and Mestizo areas), Western North Dakota, all of South Dakota except the northeast section, NE, northern and central Kansas, Southern Iowa, Northern and Central Missouri, Central and Southern Illinois (not extreme southern), IN (not extreme Southern), Lower Peninsula and eastern U.P. of Michigan, OH (except far southeast), PA, Western New York, Northern Virginia around D.C., MD (except southern parts), DE, Southern New Jersey, and Florida (minus North Florida and parts of Southeast Florida (high caribbean immigration).

**NOTE: This general culture has many sub-cultures, and that these areas have incorporated cultural traits from the other cultural areas, discussed here, or in the least you can find elements of those cultures in these locations, indicating that the regions are becoming, if they aren't already, more alike than different**

Upper Midwest German & Scandinavian Influenced Culture: MN, Eastern North Dakota, Northern Iowa, WI, parts of Northern Illinois, and the Western U.P. of Michigan

**As far as lifestyle and everyday life goes, the culture is the same as of the general American culture. The differences with this regions compared to others lie in the accents, speech, religion, history, heritage, and cuisine.**

French-Influenced Cajun-Southern Culture: Southern Louisiana, from areas south of Lake Charles, eastward along the gulf into the marshes in and around Lafayette, Houma, Morgan City, ending to the south or just west of New Orleans.

Mexican Culture: In areas of high illegal Mexican invasion, where newcomers refuse to acculturate. Includes parts of the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, parts of Los Angeles County, the Inland Empire, Imperial Valley, and Central Valley, as well as small, isolated pockets throughout the southwestern U.S.

Indian/"Native" American Culture: Namely on Indian Reservations

NOTE: Appalachian Culture could be considered its own, but depending on the area of the Appalachians, it is close enough to the general southern or general American cultures, that is should be regarded as a sub-culture. This is in a similar manner to parts of the northwest, with its German-Midwestern influence, in that it is culturally distinct, but not distinct enough for its own classification. A similar point can be made for the Mormans of Utah, Southern Idaho and Northern Nevada, and it therefore should be regarded as a sub-culture.

Last edited by Stars&StripesForever; 07-21-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,581,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post

1. New England: MA, ME, NH, VT, CT, eastern upstate NY, and eastern Long Island.
2. Yorkadelphia: Eastern PA, SW CT, NJ, greater NYC and western Long Island
3. DC & Baltimore: MD, NE VA, DE
4. South Atlantic: VA, NC, SC, GA, east of the Appalachians in old colonial boundaries
6. Central Florida: Tampa and Orlando - Theme parks and lakes
7. South Florida: Greater Miami and Naples - Everglades and
8. The Keys: The only part of the Caribbean in the 50 states.
9. The Swampy Gulf: S LA, coastal TX, S AL, W FL, N FL, S GA, S MS, S LA,
10. South Appalachia: NE AL to B-Ham, E TN, N GA, W SC, W NC, E KY
11. Southern Hills: everything between the Ohio River, Appalachians, Tennessee River and Mississippi River
12. The Mississippi River and its Banks: 2 parts - South and North, St. Louis would be the dividing line.
13. Factory land: Everything between the great lakes, Mississippi River, Ohio River, and Appalachians
14. Food land: Everything in the American Great Plains not listed somewhere else. Big farming.
15. East Oklahoma and the Dallas-Houston-San Antonio triangle
16. Southwest: W TX, S CA, S NV, AZ, NM, W OK, S CO, S UT
17. The Central Highlands: S MO and AR
18. The Rockies: N UT and N CO, SW WY
19. The High Plains: E MT, W ND, W SD, E WY, W NE
20. Teddyland (Yellowstone, Jackson Hole): W MT, N ID, NW WY
21. Golden Gate: Bay Area, and vicinity
22. Inland Valleys: Sacramento and San Joaquin in C CA
23. Timber Country: W OR, W WA, N CA
24. The Sierra Nevadas in East-Central CA and W NV
25. Great Basin: NW UT, NV, S ID, parts of S OR
It looks like you have no standard criteria, as you have blended both cultural and physical regions. Some are cultural in your list, such as New England, while others are either historical or geographic (Swampy South, South Atlantic, High Plains, etc.)

Old 08-08-2014, 11:16 AM

620 posts, read 687,908 times
The last post was in July 2010 and I think this is interesting so I want to bring back an old thread.

This is how I would do for each region:

Northeast (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, WV, VA)
Southeast (NC, TN, SC, GA, AL, MS, FL, PR)
Great Lakes (MI, WI, IL, IN, OH, KY)
Great Plains (MO, IA, MN, ND, SD, NE, KS)
Southwest (LA, AR, OK, TX, NM, AZ)
Rocky Mountains (CO, UT, WY, MT, ID)
West Coast (CA, NV, HI, OR, WA, AK)

Old 08-08-2014, 11:24 AM

18,639 posts, read 27,073,493 times
^ I disagree with much of your list. VA is not a northeastern state. Louisiana in the same region as Arizona? Kentucky a Great Lakes state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or