U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,074,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
New England: ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY
Mid Atlantic: NJ, PA, DE, MD, WV, VA
South East: NC, SC, GA, FL
Deep South: TN, AL, MS, LA, AK, TX
Great Lakes: OH, MI, IN, KY, IL, WI
Great Plains: MO, NE, KS, ND, SD, IA, MN, OK
Rockies: CO, WY, UT, MT, ID
Southwest: AZ, NM, NV, S.CA
Northwest: OR, WA, N.CA
Alaska
Hawaii
Can you explain why Kentucky would be a Great Lakes state? Just curious, as it makes absolutely NO sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 07:55 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,863,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Can you explain why Kentucky would be a Great Lakes state? Just curious, as it makes absolutely NO sense.
Well it doesn't fit smoothly into any region. With that being said, its not a Mid Atlantic State, and its not a Deep South state. So that leaves the Great plains or the Great lakes.

Another alternative is to have an Appalachian region which would include KY, WV, TN, and western PA

Old 08-08-2014, 08:22 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,074,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Well it doesn't fit smoothly into any region. With that being said, its not a Mid Atlantic State, and its not a Deep South state. So that leaves the Great plains or the Great lakes.

Another alternative is to have an Appalachian region which would include KY, WV, TN, and western PA
Then something is flawed...a Great Lakes state should touch a Great Lake, wouldn't you think? It's nowhere near a Great Lake.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 PM

353 posts, read 511,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Then something is flawed...a Great Lakes state should touch a Great Lake, wouldn't you think? It's nowhere near a Great Lake.
Yeah well he or she thinks Arizona and New Mexico are in the south so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:53 PM

7,385 posts, read 13,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Yeah well he or she thinks Arizona and New Mexico are in the south so take it with a grain of salt.
He also placed Alaska in the Deep South section, lol

Old 08-08-2014, 10:49 PM

165 posts, read 151,429 times
The Carolina's will take Kentucky. Every time I've been through there the people are very nice. Btw, you can't split up the Carolina's. Lol

Old 08-09-2014, 12:27 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,974,918 times
Off the top of my head:
Pacific: AK,HI, and everything west of I-5 in CA, OR, WA;
Inter Mountain West: AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV, CA [east of I-5] (south)...ID, MT, WY, OR & WA [east of I-5] (north);
Plains: OK, KS, TX (south)...NE, IA, SD, ND (north);
Great Lakes: MN, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, PA, Western NY [West of I-81];
Deep South:AK, LA, MS, AL;
South: MO, TN, KY, WV;
Atlantic: FL, GA, SC, NC, VA (south)...MD, DE, NJ, Southern NY [basically NYC & Long Island] (mid);
New England: RI, CT, Northern NY [remainder of state], MA, NH, VT, ME;

*IL, IN, and PA just graze the Great Lakes and could split them into multiple regions, but it is easier to put them in the Great Lakes region because it isn't as easy to split them up like NY, CA, OR, or WA;
*TX is mostly prairie, so it is going in the plains category;
*Inter Mountain West is basically where the Cascades, Sierras, and Rockies are located...

Old 08-09-2014, 12:39 AM

2,343 posts, read 2,754,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
*TX is mostly prairie, so it is going in the plains category
The "plains" in reference are the Great Plains, of which maybe one-fifth of Texas is in, to be generous. The coastal prairies, the blackland prairies, and the cross-timbers are NOT part of the Great Plains. You can find prairies in most of the 50 states. I live in Washington, and the entire Southeast part of the state is grassland prairie, but that doesn't make us a "plains" state.

Really, the only part of Texas that fits with the rest of the plains states in reference here is the panhandle and a sliver of West Texas, and that isn't even close to being the majority of the state's land area. Texas is no more a "plains" state than Colorado and New Mexico are. In fact, percentage-wise, there are more (great) plains in those two states than there is in Texas.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 08-09-2014 at 12:50 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 07:17 PM

620 posts, read 687,908 times
How about this:

New England (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut)
Mid-Atlantic (New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, District of Columbia)
Southeast (North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama)
South Central (Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas)
Northern Midwest (North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan)
Southern Midwest (Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas)
Eastern Midwest (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky)
Northwest (Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming)
Southwest (New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah)
Pacific (California, Nevada, Hawaii)

Forget the Northeast, the South, the Midwest and the West. The Northeast is too small while the Midwest, South and West are too big. Lets divide the nation into even more regions.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:42 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,207,781 times
No, I don't think the 4-region model of the US is too broad. I think it serves it's purpose well. If one needs to be more specific they can always break the US up into the census regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or