Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:38 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
^ I disagree with much of your list. VA is not a northeastern state. Louisiana in the same region as Arizona? Kentucky a Great Lakes state?
He apparently just grouped the South Central US with the Southwest. The SCUS (TX LA AR OK) should be a separately recognized region. Culturally I feel that Mississippi, western Tennessee, and even the Bootheel belong in this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:44 PM

603 posts, read 923,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why does the country have to be split into regions at all? What's the point? It's counterproductive and self-destructive. We are one UNITED nation made up of 50 unique individual STATES. Why can't that be enough?
It makes it easier to stereotype and criticize others in an effort to exalt our own favorite area.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:13 PM

622 posts, read 941,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
^ I disagree with much of your list. VA is not a northeastern state. Louisiana in the same region as Arizona? Kentucky a Great Lakes state?
But Virginia has some parts of the Washington DC Metropolitan Area, which has a northeastern city as the main city. I don't like splitting Metropolitan Areas into 2 regions.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,565,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
It makes it easier to stereotype and criticize others in an effort to exalt our own favorite area.
best post.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:25 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,059,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post

This is how I would do for each region:

Northeast (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, WV, VA)
Southeast (NC, TN, SC, GA, AL, MS, FL, PR)
Great Lakes (MI, WI, IL, IN, OH, KY)
Great Plains (MO, IA, MN, ND, SD, NE, KS)
Southwest (LA, AR, OK, TX, NM, AZ)
Rocky Mountains (CO, UT, WY, MT, ID)
West Coast (CA, NV, HI, OR, WA, AK)
Yup, Kentucky is solidly in the Great Lakes and Minnesota is a bona fide Great Plains state. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ge...06c16e42da19a5

Old 08-08-2014, 04:37 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
best post.
What about my post?

Old 08-08-2014, 06:48 PM

799 posts, read 1,418,808 times
To me MD or VA are not northeastern southern/midatlantic is better, and Kentucky as a Great Lakes state that must be a joke that i didn't get

Old 08-08-2014, 06:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,565,039 times
People have some wacked-out ideas on how to classify regions in this country, I must say. I'm perfectly content with the census bureau's definitions myself. There are sub-regions within regions, to mark the small differences in culture, politics, geography, topography, precipitation levels, etc. Isn't that good enough? Apparently not, I guess.

However, when all is said and done, we are one country. Regional differences aside, we all use the same currency, have the same president, and celebrate the 4th of July (even if it is just an excuse to blow things up and terrify our pets). If you really have to break it down, I think it's better to go by states, rather than regions. I live in the PNW, but I identify more as a Washingtonian.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 PM

353 posts, read 651,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
The last post was in July 2010 and I think this is interesting so I want to bring back an old thread.

This is how I would do for each region:

Northeast (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, WV, VA)
Southeast (NC, TN, SC, GA, AL, MS, FL, PR)
Great Lakes (MI, WI, IL, IN, OH, KY)
Great Plains (MO, IA, MN, ND, SD, NE, KS)
Southwest (LA, AR, OK, TX, NM, AZ)
Rocky Mountains (CO, UT, WY, MT, ID)
West Coast (CA, NV, HI, OR, WA, AK)
Personally I don't think AZ is anywhere close to being in the same region as Texas. But Arkansas and Oklahoma? No. Sorry. AZ and NM for that matter aren't linked to those states geographically or culturally. Not even remotely.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:18 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,972,294 times
New England: ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY
Mid Atlantic: NJ, PA, DE, MD, WV, VA
South East: NC, SC, GA, FL
Deep South: TN, AL, MS, LA, AK, TX
Great Lakes: OH, MI, IN, KY, IL, WI
Great Plains: MO, NE, KS, ND, SD, IA, MN, OK
Rockies: CO, WY, UT, MT, ID
Southwest: AZ, NM, NV, S.CA
Northwest: OR, WA, N.CA
Alaska
Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.