U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,379 times

Advertisements

I am 50+, a liberal democrat, an artist, I currently live outside of the Los Angeles metro area, and am considering a move to another part of the country. (I'm tired of crowds, driving, fires, earthquakes and the high cost of living). This is what I am looking for, maybe one of you has been to this place and can help me find it. My "perfect fit" is:

1) near the water (ocean, river, bayou) (I have a sailboat and dont want to get rid of it)
2) politically and socially diverse (people of various faiths, politics, ethnicities, and sexual preferences should feel comfortable here)
3) a strong artistic and intellectual community
4) a walkable downtown with good bookstores, coffee shops, eateries, places to participate in community life
5) a lower cost of living than the big cities
6) has some natural wild land where I can walk my dogs in the woods, or on a beach, or in a canyon (without having to get in a car and drive -or at least drive very far- to get there)
7) a decent public transportation system would also be nice
8) Safe. I've already lived in places where I needed to watch my back all the time- I'd like to relax.

Places I have looked at that are contenders but fall short for one reason or another:

Seattle (too rainy)
Ashland Oregon (very good in most regards except water)
Asheville, NC (very good in most regards except water)
Beaufort SC (dont know anything about it socially, but it sounds like it has a good arts community)
Ipswich, or Newburyport MA

and a dark horse: New Orleans (I'm concerned about crime, but I like the culture)

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 12:12 PM

267 posts, read 347,099 times
Sounds like coastal New England would be the right fit. Namely, coastal CT or RI.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM

21,312 posts, read 30,650,391 times
I'd say Savannah, GA. I know two people who each left big cities but didn't want to sacrifice the amenities, and both love it there.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:19 PM

22,351 posts, read 32,343,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd say Savannah, GA. I know two people who each left big cities but didn't want to sacrifice the amenities, and both love it there.

Or even Charleston SC

Also this may seem odd but how about Harve D Grace MD, basically where the Susquahanna river feeds in the Chesepeake Bay (Less than hour from both Philadelphia and Baltimore). I also thought Annapolis but it can be very pricey.

One other thought is Rehoboth beach DE

just some thoughts of places that may at least be worth a quick read with the sailboat in mind

Old 07-19-2010, 08:29 AM

57,250 posts, read 81,655,085 times
Virginia Beach VA

Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,522,953 times
I would say that these might meet your criteria:

Porland, ME (sounds pretty much ideal for what you want)
Portsmouth, NH (a mini Portland. maybe too small?)
Salem, MA (maybe too close to Boston and too far from natural park lands? probably expensive)
Madison, WI (water is in the form of lakes and is kind of a college town)
Eureka, CA (maybe too small for you?)

Old 07-19-2010, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,379 times
Small is fine, I dont mind taking a day trip to a city of I have an urge for a bigger slice of culture. I'll look into all of the suggestions made so far~ thank you!

Old 07-19-2010, 01:54 PM

57,250 posts, read 81,655,085 times
If you don't mind some snow, Ithaca NY might work for you. It's on Cayuga Lake in the Finger Lakes region. It's known for being pretty "liberal" and is a small city of 30,000 with 2 colleges. It's not too far from bigger cities like Syracuse or Rochester either. It has a great arts scene and is pretty diverse for it's size. It has the Tcat bus system and has a nice downtown called the Commons. Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

Cornell University

Ithaca Times

Home : TCAT Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit

Home > Downtown Ithaca Alliance

http://www.ci.ithaca.ny.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={57A54192-8D67-436A-AB03-1BFA1DCB5145}

Tompkins County | Home Page |

and much more.....

Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,772,079 times
I thought of Ithaca as well, much more of a sailboat culture on that end of Cayuga Lake rather than speedboats and jet skis.

Burlington, VT has a bigger lake and is a bit bigger in general. But even colder.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:55 AM

3,323 posts, read 9,600,286 times
Maybe Lakewood, Ohio or some other areas near Cleveland on Lake Erie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or