U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,328,897 times

Advertisements

I don't consider it west coast, same with Hawaii. They are separate and get their own distinctions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 05:53 PM

21,339 posts, read 21,917,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I always considered Alaska the "Third Coast".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I saw what you did there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
As did I.
What could you ever mean?

www.doctormacro.com

Old 09-04-2014, 04:16 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,723,617 times
Nah I think Alaska is just Alaska. It has a lot in common with the West in general though.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:01 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,348,473 times
West Coast:Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, and Hawaii

East Coast: Everything from Maine to Florida

Gulf Coast: Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas

Old 09-04-2014, 10:21 PM

566 posts, read 565,252 times
Technically yeah I guess but I don't consider it "The" West Coast. (Cali, Oregon, WA) It's on the West Coast just as much as Peru is. It's Pacific Rim, though that would be better and there are a lot of commonalities along the Pacific Rim.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,991 posts, read 42,018,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I didn't think even Oregon and Washington are considered west coast, in common parlance.
Never heard of that before, why it would it include just California?

Old 09-05-2014, 02:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,991 posts, read 42,018,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It's West, it's on a Coast, why not? Or do you mean like culturally? If you look in terms of religiosity, and don't fixate on Palin, Alaska is like the rest of the Pacific Northwest in that it's fairly secular by most estimates. (Gallup, Pew, etc) However it is much more Republican, of the "hate taxes and love guns" school of GOP, than the Pacific Northwest. So in many ways it surveys more like the Mountain West (Wyoming and Montana in particular) and much of the Mountain West is fairly secular/irreligious too.

So I guess I'd say it's culturally or politically "Mountain West", but is geographically West Coast. (However Hawaii does not need to be seen as West Coast because it is not actually on the West Coast of any continent or land-mass) Although you could also say Alaska is "North Coast" even if we don't really have any other state with such a clear North Coast.
Or maybe similar to the inland / east of the Cascades portion of the Pacific Northwest. Historically, the majority of migrants into Alaska came from the West, particularly the west coast states:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...2&abg=1#Alaska

Old 09-05-2014, 03:06 PM

10,426 posts, read 12,433,840 times
Northern Alaska = (North Coast) Arctic Ocean
Southern Alaska = (West Coast) Northeast Pacific Ocean

Old 09-05-2014, 03:28 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,628,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Or maybe similar to the inland / east of the Cascades portion of the Pacific Northwest. Historically, the majority of migrants into Alaska came from the West, particularly the west coast states:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...2&abg=1#Alaska
I meet a lot of people from Alaska in the Northwest--a surprisingly high amount considering the total population of Alaska itself(not sure how much it is statistically, but a lot of them I've known come down here for college and stay for good). Seattle historically was the hub for transit to Alaska(and even today a hub for Alaska Airlines). Southeast Alaska basically feels like British Columbia which feels like part of the Northwest.

All in all though, Alaska is sort of like Hawaii--it's stills feels far away from the rest of the West Coast though you have those connections. The Lower 48 or Mainland is what we are to Alaskans or people in Hawaii.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:32 PM

6,966 posts, read 9,061,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I didn't think even Oregon and Washington are considered west coast, in common parlance.
no, Oregon and Washington are on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or