U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,710,646 times

Advertisements

I used to draw imaginary quad maps of imaginary towns, starting with topography and drainage and then drawing culture and drainage changes from the canal era then railroad era through post-industrial. Wore out many colored pencils and erasers doing that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,297,465 times
I've also been playing sim city my whole life. I used to love designing cities, mapping out the roads efficiently as possible, creating districts, watching it grow, etc.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:33 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,847,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
I love to relax and look at my atlas. Find new places on the maps and study them. Does anyone else like to do this?
i do. my friends actually call me mapquest.

im so good that people always come to me before anyone professional for directions.

tell me to go to any state or city , and i will have no issue even if i never been their before.

i want to drive all over the country, screw planes

Old 07-19-2010, 03:48 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
Count me among the "map geeks"!!! Just bought the new 2011 Rand-McNally Road Atlas BIG PRINT edition (not because I'm hard of seeing, but because the maps are SOOOO BIG!) I keep it handy by the couch to look up things that may interest me on TV, etc. Google maps is cool, but there's nothing like the feel (and smell) of holding a big ol' bound highway atlas in your hands.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:00 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,223,064 times
Another map geek here. I have a large collection of road maps, National Geographic maps, and atlases dating back to the 1940s.

I've bookmarked some good historical map sites over the years:

Medieval Sourcebook: Maps

Philosophy of History - a lot more than maps here

Historic Maps

Old 07-19-2010, 06:31 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,134,238 times
So what do you guys look at on the maps? Roads, parks, cities, etc? I try to connect the pattern of why cities develop in certain areas and how rivers, lakes, oceans and roads play a part in that pattern. I'm always trying to solve how cities develop.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,503,627 times
So has anyone turned their love of maps into an actual career? If so how did you do it?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
I was visiting an aging aunt and uncle a year or so back and found a stack of old road maps and atlases in their laundry room, on top of a freezer. My aunt and uncle were BIG roadtrippers back in the day (used to take us kids on long car trips all over) and to my surprise, this collection of maps included hand-written notations (mileage driven, motels stayed, restaurants eaten, sites seen) for several cross-country trips dating back to the 1950s BEFORE the interstate system. I stayed up all night comparing them from year to year, to see how the roads and towns expanded (or did not, as the case may be).

What was really cool was one Rand McNally atlas from around 1962 that had the proposed routes for all the interstates on it, then comparing to present day and realizing where routes were changed or never completed at all. It was really fascinating. I stayed up ALL NIGHT LONG engrossed in that stuff. Of course the next morning it was impossible to explain to the rest of the family why I was so tired and didn't get any sleep. Who else would understand such geekiness?!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:06 PM

12,291 posts, read 15,184,803 times
There was a proposal to extend a road in Lake County IL and I found a map that showed it extending that far. Later found out it was closed due to extensive flooding. It also interesting to find towns that no longer exist or have changed names.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,825,661 times
My dad was a mapper in WWII. So my interest must have been inherited!

Nonetheless, I love maps, and I too have a nice collection of highway maps from the 1950's through the 1990's. Some of the best fun is comparing those early maps to later ones.

Google Earth has certainly taken this hobby to a new level. Especially if you have photos from earlier decades and can compare to today's street views. This site can also re-create actual visits, without the airfare and hotel. Simply a fantastic bit of technology, however will never completely equal an actual visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.