U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2019, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,592 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Reputation: 27682

Advertisements

I'm from Tennessee, but I've also lived in Iowa for a year and Indiana for several years. Spent a lot of time in metro Boston on business.

I didn't like Iowa. Very weird, insular culture. They weren't used to people from outside the area. Indianapolis was much better overall. Southern IN felt very similar to where I grew up in Tennessee.

Boston was a totally different animal, but I like it. I wouldn't mind having a summer home in Maine or New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,706 posts, read 3,337,977 times
Reputation: 1911
Man, this thread is digging up bones. I got a rep point and didn't remember typing my comment. Turns out it was from 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Seattle
237 posts, read 101,737 times
Reputation: 203
I miss the weather, laid back environment and friendly people, but I don't miss the lack of jobs and nepotism prevalent out there. I grew up in TN and left it for NY. Been here 3 years. I am planning on leaving but I will not ever live back in the south unless it is S. Florida. I am looking to relocate to WA and spend my winters in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Calera, AL
1,165 posts, read 1,445,029 times
Reputation: 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm from Tennessee, but I've also lived in Iowa for a year and Indiana for several years. Spent a lot of time in metro Boston on business.

I didn't like Iowa. Very weird, insular culture. They weren't used to people from outside the area. Indianapolis was much better overall. Southern IN felt very similar to where I grew up in Tennessee.

Boston was a totally different animal, but I like it. I wouldn't mind having a summer home in Maine or New Hampshire.
You think Iowa is insular... try South Dakota. I spent my college years there and never came across a more cliquish place in all my travels. It makes Iowa look cosmopolitan and inviting by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2019, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,865 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Reputation: 63531
I am from the south (New Orleans) but I have lived in many states including OH and MD, traveled to many more for business and pleasure, and also lived in Japan and Germany. My brother has lived in OH for thirty years and my daughter lived there for several years, and my husband worked in PA and upstate NY for years and years, so I've visited that region many times over the past ten years.

I have absolutely zero desire to live anywhere else (I've lived in Texas now for 25 plus years) with the possible exception of the Tidewater region of VA, which is my very favorite part of the world, but it's still the south so there's that. I just love love love the southern US, for so many different reasons.

With my husband's work, we could live basically anywhere in the world as long as he had access to a good airport, and in fact, we have visited other regions of the US to scope them out as far as whether we'd like to live there. Our kids are all grown, and scattered, and God only knows where they will end up, and we like to travel anyway, so we can visit them anywhere. But we always come back home to NE Texas, and if the truth be known, we will probably never live anywhere else. I mean, if something happened to my husband I might move, but then again, I might not.

I love it here. Not only that, my brother and his wife in Ohio are dying to move down here. He has been trying to get a company transfer for years. Ugh, the winters - I just don't like long cold icy winters and neither do they. They're thoroughly tired of it. I did tell them though to be sure to visit here in August because it's definitely a trade off - heat or cold. Pick your poison! (I pick heat.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,592 posts, read 17,582,380 times
Reputation: 27682
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
You think Iowa is insular... try South Dakota. I spent my college years there and never came across a more cliquish place in all my travels. It makes Iowa look cosmopolitan and inviting by comparison.
What's funny is that I am from Appalachia and there aren't many transplants in my neck of the woods. Des Moines is cosmopolitan.

With that said, virtually everyone I worked with or met on the street was from Iowa or a close-by part of Nebraska. I'd always see these bumper stickers with a cut out of the state of Iowa and the word "native" in the middle of it. I've seen those elsewhere, but I'd literally say I've seen those ten to one in Iowa vs. anywhere else.

I came in as a full time employee and a lot of the people I worked with were no-benefit contractors - maybe that was part of it. I met some friendly people here and there, but it was by far the weirdest place I've spent any significant time in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Calera, AL
1,165 posts, read 1,445,029 times
Reputation: 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What's funny is that I am from Appalachia and there aren't many transplants in my neck of the woods. Des Moines is cosmopolitan.

With that said, virtually everyone I worked with or met on the street was from Iowa or a close-by part of Nebraska. I'd always see these bumper stickers with a cut out of the state of Iowa and the word "native" in the middle of it. I've seen those elsewhere, but I'd literally say I've seen those ten to one in Iowa vs. anywhere else.

I came in as a full time employee and a lot of the people I worked with were no-benefit contractors - maybe that was part of it. I met some friendly people here and there, but it was by far the weirdest place I've spent any significant time in.

I've never really understood that. I'd get it if people from places like California, Texas and Florida were flocking to DSM in droves, but they're not. I get "Idaho Native" or "Arizona Native" because both states are getting tons of transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top