U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you think best explains the situation?
New York City & Philadelphia are more connected to their home states areas and cities (New York & Pennsylvania) 6 12.24%
New York City & Philadelphia are better connected to the suburbs & Satellite cities in their MSA's (New Jersey, Delaware, Connecticut) 39 79.59%
Other option/don't really know 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 AM

4,464 posts, read 7,529,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Political commentator/consultant James Carville said it best...."Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, with Alabama in between". Philadelphia shares little commonality with the rest of the state and should really consider annexation by New Jersey. The Philadelphia region accounts for 2/3 of the state's revenue and consistently has to beg, borrow and plead for state funding.
The same could be said for any large metro area in comparison to the rest of relatively large and rural state. Is Chicagoland exactly like the rest of Illinois? How about the NY metro area in comparison to a place like Utica or Syracuse? How about the Bay Area compared to Fresno?

Sorry, but I just get a bit annoyed when I hear comments like that. Despite its differences compared to a place like Erie (although there are indeed similarities to other cities in the state that are often overlooked/downplayed), Philadelphia is quintessentially Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 PM

608 posts, read 1,189,087 times
The Philly metro area embraces South Jersey big time. Especially in the summer. It does not embrace Delaware as much, however you get just as much news coverage about South Jersey in the Philly market. This is because almost everyone in S.J. is probably from Philly.

However what Carville said about PA is true. For elections if you win all the counties in and around Philly, you won the state. It doesn't matter what happens any where else. Likewise the only counties in NJ that matter around the ones around NYC. Candidates dont even bother to campaign south of Trenton, I can't even recall the last true South Jersey governor.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:53 PM

892 posts, read 1,931,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The same could be said for any large metro area in comparison to the rest of relatively large and rural state. Is Chicagoland exactly like the rest of Illinois? How about the NY metro area in comparison to a place like Utica or Syracuse? How about the Bay Area compared to Fresno?

Sorry, but I just get a bit annoyed when I hear comments like that. Despite its differences compared to a place like Erie (although there are indeed similarities to other cities in the state that are often overlooked/downplayed), Philadelphia is quintessentially Pennsylvania.
I live in VA and hear the same crap all the time in reference to the DC area. You have northern VA, and then you have the rest of VA. Bulls**t! What about Richmond, Tidewater area, Roanoke, or Charlottesville??I feel the same way about this as you do about PA and Philly.

Now to the question at hand. I feel NYC has more ties to its Jersey burbs than NY state, but that Philly has closer ties to it's own state burbs than Jerseys. Whenever I would visit NYC, I'd stay with a friends friend in New Jersey and ride NJ transit into the city, never bothered looking into staying in the city or upstate. Now, when I visited Philly, I stayed in King of Prussia. It never crossed my mind to stay in New Jersey.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:03 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,968,158 times
Philadelphia is more tied with its own state state- Trenton's MSA is creepin up on Philly though.

There's 6 ridges and tunnels into NYC- There's also dozens of Buses, the NY/NJ PA PATH subway system, and Hudson ferry's that lead into Manhattan- The Statue of Liberty is within NJ's side of the bay (Ellis Island is half owned by NJ)- Newark and Jersey City are the 2nd and 3rd most vital cities in the whole metro- The shore is the most popular getaway for millions of NYers and Philadelphian's in summer, 2 of the 2 football teams play in Jersey, The CSA's largest Trading Ports are in the Newark Bay... I think you get it, NYC has closer ties to NJ than NYS.

Long Island and Westchester have good ties, but they are more isolated from the Heart of the city (Manhattan)

Old 08-30-2010, 05:54 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,322,884 times
All of new jersey's ties to ny is either to get nj commuters into the city thus the rail lines or business related(because they both share a port) Other than that nyc is more connected to DOWNstate NY Which would include The entire WESTCHESTER county and Long Island. Nyc looks to Albany when politics need to be discussed

NY state is big as hell you can seperate downstate and upstate easily. Nyc is the center of downstate new york. While Buffalo rules upstate

Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,182,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Philadelphia is more tied with its own state state- Trenton's MSA is creepin up on Philly though.

There's 6 ridges and tunnels into NYC- There's also dozens of Buses, the NY/NJ PA PATH subway system, and Hudson ferry's that lead into Manhattan- The Statue of Liberty is within NJ's side of the bay (Ellis Island is half owned by NJ)- Newark and Jersey City are the 2nd and 3rd most vital cities in the whole metro- The shore is the most popular getaway for millions of NYers and Philadelphian's in summer, 2 of the 2 football teams play in Jersey, The CSA's largest Trading Ports are in the Newark Bay... I think you get it, NYC has closer ties to NJ than NYS.

Long Island and Westchester have good ties, but they are more isolated from the Heart of the city (Manhattan)
Trenton was part of the Philly MSA for it's history up until the 2000 Census

Old 08-30-2010, 06:24 PM

4,268 posts, read 5,488,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
As for Chicago, it likely benefits from not having a "Pittsburgh" in another part of Illinois. If Rockford is the largest town outside the Chicagoland area, then it's now wonder why Chicago runs the state.
One could make the argument that Pittsburgh is to Philly as St. Louis is to Chicago. Now, I know that St. Louis is of course in MO, but the IL suburbs of St. Louis are actually the largest metro area in IL outside of Chicago (with Peoria being third and Rockford fourth). Once you get south of central IL, St. Louis plays a much larger role as the cultural, sports and entertainment center of the rest of IL.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
One could make the argument that Pittsburgh is to Philly as St. Louis is to Chicago. Now, I know that St. Louis is of course in MO, but the IL suburbs of St. Louis are actually the largest metro area in IL outside of Chicago (with Peoria being third and Rockford fourth). Once you get south of central IL, St. Louis plays a much larger role as the cultural, sports and entertainment center of the rest of IL.

I think ther are some differences, Allentown/Bethlehem, directly adjacent to Philly (40 miles) is almost the size (within about 1.5 million) of the Pittsburgh MSA (Actually closer in number and percentage than Pittsburgh is to Philly (difference of 3.5 million).

PA is actually dominated politically by the rural states and their special interests (especially the PA Senate), that has hurt both Philly and Pittsburgh, Rendell can only do so much

Last edited by kidphilly; 08-30-2010 at 06:39 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

Oddly I do believe Philly has a higher percentage of it's MSA population Jersey than does NYC, Philly has 5 bridges, NJT, Buses and PATCO but the population numbers in S Jersey in aggregate are less than N Jersey by a long shot

Old 08-30-2010, 06:40 PM

4,268 posts, read 5,488,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think ther are some differences, Allentown/Bethlehem, directly adjacent to Philly (40 miles) is almost the size (within about 1.5 million) of the Pittsburgh MSA (Actually closer in number and percentage than Pittsburgh is to Philly (difference of 3.5 million).

PA is actually dominated politically by the rural states and their special interests (especially the PA Senate), that has hurt both Philly and Pittsburgh, Rendell can only do so much
I'm a little confused...isn't the Allentown/Bethlehem MSA ~ 850,000 whereas Pittsburgh is close to 2.5 million? That's a big difference! I mean, I know the comparison is going to draw differences of opinion, but it's not that much of a stretch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or