U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 05:41 PM

87,017 posts, read 102,674,652 times

Advertisements

We have made a concerted effort not to collect so much junk in the garage that we can't put our two cars in it. Occasionally, like now, when we have a project going on (painting the house), one car will have to stay in the driveway, but not often. My DH has a bro in Omaha, Neb who can't use his garage b/c he has too much junk in it. And it gets bone-chillingly COLD in Omaha! When both are daughters are staying here with their cars, we have four and two go in the street. When I was a public health nurse, we were supposed to park in the street on home visitis so we wouldn't get blocked in. (We went to some sketch parts of town.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 07:24 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,360,328 times
in our neighborhood, most everybody parks in their garage or driveway. We park our Explorer in the garage and my F150 in the driveway so we can get easy access to lawn mower, bicycles, etc. In the Winter, the pickup goes in the garage, too.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:37 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,374,743 times
In my neighborhood, everyone parks in the garage except the neigbhbor across the street. I think it's more proper to park in one's garage, as to park in the streets(or even in the driveway) sort of ruins the aesthetics of an area.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:07 AM

612 posts, read 2,545,593 times
Everyone parks in their garages in my neighborhood. It's too far of a walk and completely not practical to park on the street here as the houses are too far back from the road.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 PM

95 posts, read 385,221 times
In my neighborhood all homes have 3 car garages. Are vehicles must be parked in the garage. We cannot park in our driveways overnight. The main roads are very wide, however, the side streets are somewhat narrow. Many of the residents rent storage units to all their stuff. I had overhead lofts in the garage installed to store my stuff. We can park on the street, but with 1400 homes there is alot of traffic so most people do not park on the streets.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:24 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,514,628 times
Driveways.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:39 PM

30,235 posts, read 67,385,459 times
In my own upper-middle-class suburban neighborhood where every household has a three-car garage and four vehicles for its 2.1 inhabitants, people insist on parking in the street. Our neighborhood is so "keeping up with the Jones's-ish" that people who have nicer vehicles like to show them off by parking them either at the edge of their driveways or in the street. I think it looks incredibly tacky and stupid to have wasted so much open space for wide driveways and multi-car garages if you're not going to use them, but then again who am I to judge?

My future historic neighborhood in Scranton has alleys running behind the homes that permit rear parking to free up the streets from the clutter. I can't wait to move to a city that actually cares more about neighborhood aesthetics than it does about showing off its material possessions.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 PM

87 posts, read 346,652 times
Default You are so right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
1. People have lots more stuff nowadays so they use their garages for storage.
2. People have more CARS nowadays so they can't fit them all in their garages and/or driveways.
We live in a cul de sac and most people have two cars, one parked in the drive and one in the street. There's no getting around it, the garage is for storage.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:55 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,211,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askme View Post
We live in a cul de sac and most people have two cars, one parked in the drive and one in the street. There's no getting around it, the garage is for storage.
Agreed. Especially in warm weather months, when no one parks in their garage.

I live in a newer home, and my two-car garage is fairly spacious. We just use it as an extra room almost.

Last edited by Colts; 10-08-2007 at 10:04 PM..

Old 10-08-2007, 10:15 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,729,703 times
Are there actually cities and towns it isn't illegal to park overnight on the roads???...

Alleys don't exist here, except perhaps in downtown behind stores and businesses, so driveways have to be connected to the road.

Most people here try to avoid parking in the road. Many people have at least one car parked in the garage. Some park all their cars in them too.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-08-2007 at 10:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or